Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 AM

8,159 posts, read 8,737,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Is this not a segregated streetcar? What makes the ride quality so low? Bumpy?
I guess that because there's a small backlash between the two guide wheels and the guide rail. It makes the tram shake left and right continuously. Premature rutting is another issue since guided buses always ride on the same spot of the roadway. But the ride is already quite rough with brand new systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Weirdly, the public transit agency of Nantes is partially privately owned. I don't think public transit is profitable in Nantes. So an agency that gets government funds has private shareholders? Don't get how that works, maybe it's an arrangement normal in France.

Semitan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It's a Société d'Economie Mixte. The public entity (here Nantes Métropole urban community) owns between 50% and 85% of the shares, so it controls the "company". Private law means more flexibility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2014, 12:22 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Many privatized things are funded by taxpayer dollars. Privatized prisons, for example, clearly are not making their money from the inmates.

Yes. Case in point, city buses and streetcars are manufactured by private companies, who are contracted by the government. Because that is what private companies are good at, and what they are for. They specialize in making things, or providing specialized services. But private companies should not be running our government. That is the job of elected public officials not corporate CEOs.

(Don't want to get off-topic but there appears to be no evidence private prisons actually cost less than public ones. See link below. That's all I'll say about that.)

Private prison Cost/benefit analysis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2014, 04:48 PM

1,413 posts, read 1,520,072 times
Quote:
I find it very odd how BRT is supposed to always have its own lane (according to some Internet posters) where light rail often does not. Nantes Busway, for example, runs in mixed traffic. So I guess from that standpoint, people actually prefer regular buses as having higher quality because Nantes is fake BRT, again, according to Internet posters.

Anyone with transit chops (which isn't me) seems to consider the fake BRT Nantes Busway to be actual BRT. I agree with them and disagree with the Internet posters who consider it a regular bus.
To qualify as rapid transit, or at least approach that level, an LRT route needs to run predominantly in its own right of way. Some stretches of street running don't automatically disqualify it, but if it's entirely street based, then what you've got there is a streetcar, not a rapid transit route.

I'm no expert, but from looking at the article the results seem rather ambiguous.

Quote:

• BusWay did better than tram on comfort;
  • Tram did better than BusWay on service level and network coverage
  • When these are both allowed for thre was a residual preference for BusWay over tram.
It doesn't seem like a smashing victory for BRT, although Nantes isn't a very large city or metro area to begin with.

Old 06-09-2014, 12:50 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,794,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
It's a Société d'Economie Mixte. The public entity (here Nantes Métropole urban community) owns between 50% and 85% of the shares, so it controls the "company". Private law means more flexibility.
In USA it sounds like a similar example would be the Louisville Water Co. Board of Water Works and Committees - Board of Water Works - LouisvilleKy.gov

Old 06-09-2014, 02:13 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,345,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
So I take it you would be opposed to taxpayer-funded roads and highway construction?
In theory, I hold to strong libertarian (please note the uncapitalized 'l') beliefs; but just as I can understand the need for a societal "safety net" (but under tight local control -- to weed out the small minority in every community which seeks to make a career of indolence and to discourage bureaucratic empire-building) so do I recognize that much of our transport infrastructure simply is not suited to private development. And like it or not, certain sections of our urbanized areas have become so congested that further expansion of the highway network is not practical.

The problem is that transportation, like most facets of our daily lives, has been caught up in our nation's current polarization.

Old 06-09-2014, 07:51 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
The Myth of the Magic Bus: The Weird Politics and Persistently Strange Logic Behind the Orange Line | Streetsblog Los Angeles

I'll just leave this here...

Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 AM

21,868 posts, read 25,173,926 times
So, what? You have an article that forgot that Ocean-Escondido was already previously built and therefore infers that already built lightrail can be cheaper? Kind of a duh moment. Sprinter is also, by the way, only at 70% of predicted ridership after the first year of service (2009, which actually turned into 2010 because it took twice as long to finish as anticipated).

Using existing track is good where feasible. It wasn't feasible with Orange Line.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post

I don't see how it can be made any clearer than that.
Your second post was clear, your first post lacked any clear connection to the topic. At least I couldn't tell how it had to do with the OP, it read as an unrelated political rant.

Old 06-16-2014, 06:19 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,903 times
Quote:
Swift BRT (Snohomish County, WA) runs mostly in mixed traffic and is called BRT as well. RapidRide (King County) however, does not use the BRT moniker in its name. RapidRide is, however, referred to as BRT by FTA, King County Metro, etc. I don't have great familiarity with the system, but it's predominantly maybe even exclusively run in mixed traffic. Again, some Internet posters definitely call it out as being fake BRT but I'd go with FTA and King County Metro.
BRT is ranked bronze, silver or gold depending on the quality of ROW, off-board fare collection, level boarding, and signal priority where there are conflicts with cars.

The US doesn't have any gold BRT and AFAIK, the Healthline in Cleveland is the only BRT to get silver.

BRT gets thrown around a lot - like the MBTA Silver Line - and they're just not BRT. Even some of the bronze BRT systems are questionable.

Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,523,129 times
The Nantes busway is ranked as bronze, same as the Los Angeles Orange Line and Eugene's BRT.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRT_Sta..._BRT_corridors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning