Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 02:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
The squares around where we live often have festivals on weekends, for example last weekend was one called "Honk!" and many of the local kids were our enjoying the festival and watching the parade as went through town. These festivals are pretty common and are a great way to bring the community together.

Two farmers markets are walkable from our house.

Teens are free to walk to one of three local squares where they can go to restaurants, get ice cream, etc. Kid friendly restaurants abound and when you go to dinner for the early shift, the restaurants are full of kids of all ages. Teens are also free to jump on the train and go to others parts of the city, car free.

I realize some parts of suburbia are walkable, but lets face it 98%+ of the homes in suburbia are NOT walkable to much of anything. I think the main point here is that when things are right out your door you simply take advantage of them much more often, especially with kids in tow.
Well, big whoop!

Last things first. You are wrong that "98%+ of the homes in suburbia are NOT walkable to much of anything". Depending on what you call "walkable" a defintion that seems to change to fit the user's points, my house is walkable to a lot of places. First of all, there are a lot of kids living right here in the neighborhood, so it's walkable to their friends' homes. Secondly, there is a church in this neighborhood for those of that faith (Mormon). The church has two baseball fields on their property which they have said the neighbors can use when they are not using them for church purposes. There is a park about 1/4 mile away, though you'll never find it on a walkscore map. There is a hiking/bike path to the park, so kids don't even have to walk on the streets.

Next, the elementary school is about 1/2 mi. away. Some kids from this neighborhood walk to school, others ride their bikes. Another, bigger park is about 3/4 mile away. A shopping area is about a mile away, not too far for older kids. There is a bus stop by the church from which kids or anyone else can go pretty much wherever they want. We also have a service from the public transit co. called "Call and Ride" whereby you can call and the bus will pick you up at your home or wherever and take you to wherver in town for the same fare as a regular bus.

Shockingly, there are kid friendly restaurants in the suburbs. Why wouldn't there be? There are also plenty of recreational activities through the rec center and the YMCA.

We also have a number of festivals. I am going to post my suburban cities' website, and you can puruse it.

City of Louisville, Colorado - Home

Event calendar:
City of Louisville, Colorado - Event Calendar (Note farmer's market)

Recreation services:
Louisville Recreation & Senior Center

As far as going out with kids in tow, it sounds like you don't have any kids. You have no idea how much work goes into putting these kids in these double strollers you mentioned above, and getting out of the house. What looks like a carefree stroll down the street is often quite a hassle to pull off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 02:43 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,335,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
As far as going out with kids in tow, it sounds like you don't have any kids. You have no idea how much work goes into putting these kids in these double strollers you mentioned above, and getting out of the house. What looks like a carefree stroll down the street is often quite a hassle to pull off.
How on earth would I make these claims if I didn't have kids? I have 2 kids and the fact that it is so very simple to throw them into the stroller is exactly why we take advantage of it as much as we do. We've got the bag sitting in the mudroom ready to go with everything we need when we go out. Throw it over the shoulder, drop both kids into the the stroller and go. We often do this 3-4 times per day. The fact that you consider this to be "quite a hassle" is exactly why not everyone should live in a place like this - many wouldn't take advantage of it. But its really not that hard, and its actually good for your kids!

Anyways, you asked for examples, I was just obliging. But please don't discount the benefits of urban family life just because you think its too much of a hassle.

Old 10-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by semiurbanite View Post
How on earth would I make these claims if I didn't have kids? I have 2 kids and the fact that it is so very simple to throw them into the stroller is exactly why we take advantage of it as much as we do. We've got the bag sitting in the mudroom ready to go with everything we need when we go out. Throw it over the shoulder, drop both kids into the the stroller and go. We often do this 3-4 times per day. The fact that you consider this to be "quite a hassle" is exactly why not everyone should live in a place like this - many wouldn't take advantage of it. But its really not that hard, and its actually good for your kids!

Anyways, you asked for examples, I was just obliging. But please don't discount the benefits of urban family life just because you think its too much of a hassle.
Well, you referred to your friends who have kids, that's what made me think you didn't have any. That and your statements that it's so easy to just plop them in the stroller and go out the door. That's not how it was for me whine mine were little. By the time we got out the door, a lot of work had been done, e.g, get kids dressed to go outside, get snacks gathered up, etc. I don't think there's any difference in that stuff from city to suburb. What do you take advantage of when you do throw your kids in the stroller?

Last edited by nei; 10-15-2012 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: rude

Old 10-15-2012, 04:22 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,881,409 times
Quote:
Well, big whoop!

So, are you saying it's as easy to put kids in a car seat in a car and drive somewhere as it is to put them in a stroller and walk out the front door?

Old 10-15-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
So, are you saying it's as easy to put kids in a car seat in a car and drive somewhere as it is to put them in a stroller and walk out the front door?
Well, yes. And there's no reason you can't walk somewhere in the suburbs, either. Where are you going to take little kids who fit in strollers? Not to a bar; not even to a coffee shop unless it's for the parent. There's nothing for a kid to enjoy at Starbuck's.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:36 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,537,644 times
Quote:
Well, yes. And there's no reason you can't walk somewhere in the suburbs, either.
So what makes strollers harder than car seats?

Usually, but not always the distance is much longer. But perhaps the "suburbs vs cities" isn't the best distinction anyway.

Quote:
Where are you going to take little kids who fit in strollers? Not to a bar; not even to a coffee shop unless it's for the parent. There's nothing for a kid to enjoy at Starbuck's.
Because the only things cities have are bars and coffee shops.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Lots of things we discuss have been covered before. Are we just supposed to accept as fact that urban kids have more "freedom, independence, and daily experiences" than suburban kids?
No, but I did write a long post mostly based on personal experience on why urban kids have more freedom and independence. Rather than rewriting it, I provided a link without comment.

Sometimes I think I need to create a file for old posts that can be reused.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
No, but I did write a long post mostly based on personal experience on why urban kids have more freedom and independence. Rather than rewriting it, I provided a link without comment.

Sometimes I think I need to create a file for old posts that can be reused.
Well, I've thought that often, too, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do so on CD.

I have to say I disagree tat urban kids have more freedom and independence. The experiences may be different, but I don't think the quantity is.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
So what makes strollers harder than car seats?

Usually, but not always the distance is much longer. But perhaps the "suburbs vs cities" isn't the best distinction anyway.

Because the only things cities have are bars and coffee shops.
Strollers aren't harder than car seats. I was asked if it was just as easy to put kids into car seats and drive somewhere as it is to "throw them in a stroller" (I happen to find that wording appalling) and walk, and I said "yes". The difficult point with that age kids is getting to the point of being ready to go out the door and face the outside world, e.g. dressed, clean diaper, clean face, jacket on, shoes on, snacks in a bag, yada, yada.

Having raised two kids, and having spent most of my career working with children, I think I'm qualified to speak on this issue, to wit. . . .There's not much in the city that is any more beneficial to stroller aged kids than there is in the burbs. For the most part, kids that age want to eat, play and sleep. They're not interested in museums, libraries (unless it's storytime, which they have in suburban libraries as well), theater, shopping, etc.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
I have to say I disagree tat urban kids have more freedom and independence. The experiences may be different, but I don't think the quantity is.
I have trouble seeing how that could be true. Many suburbs are difficult to get around. For me, even when I was college-age, everytime I came home from college I felt a drastic reduction in independence (mobility-wise).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning