Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:09 AM

10,078 posts, read 15,858,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Not a fan at all. Some of these buildings are built at a scale that's so collossal that it's like walking next to an airport terminal. I get the economics behind it, but I just don't like the dominating presence of most modern structures.
The one going into DTLA is going into an existing mall (Fig at 7th) that is getting a renovation: los angeles, ca - Google Maps

The other is already open in Westwood Village, went into an existing building (can't remember what it was): los angeles, ca - Google Maps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 12:52 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
Not a fan at all. Some of these buildings are built at a scale that's so collossal that it's like walking next to an airport terminal. I get the economics behind it, but I just don't like the dominating presence of most modern structures.
The big box chain stores fit in well with old Manhattan buildings.

Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Quote:
Market (E. Market in particular) has that type of potential, but it would require a lot of work to get it there. I recognize the challenges with Independence Mall being down there and all, but there has gotta be some better use for that area. The Gallery, which was not so bad of a destination as an 8th Grader, needs to be imploded and redeveloped.

It would be very awesome if you had an intense stream of pedestrian traffic ("intense" being in the 80,000 to 90,000 level) stretching down Market from Independence Mall, around City Hall (which is magnificent, imo), and then to the CBD and more vibrant areas around it.
While I'd like to see Market East developed more, I have my concerns. One of the things preventing it is this clinging to the old. It seems like every other high rise on that end of town is a preserved monument.

Market West continues to develop and throw up new skyscrapers, and is now stretching out to Arch and Chestnut.

Don't forget, this is a city that didn't have a skyscraper until 1987, and it's just now recovering population-wise. I can't wait to see what Arch and Chestnut look like in 30 years.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:08 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
leaving manhattan... bridge amtrak goes over to exit manhattan going northbound. Much, much more scenic than the amtrak journey into chicago.

File:Spuyten Duyvil Swing Bridge from Inwood, Manhattan.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-24-2014, 02:10 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
I noticed that many mentioned Boston and LA. If you've ever been to these places you'll quickly learn that they are absolutely nothing like manhattan. Boston is more or less a very large town in comparison. The downtown area is teeny tiny. LA is a freaking hell hole. Streets and buildings look dilapidated and everything is very spread out.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:42 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,713,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Going off of Boston, Philly, DC, LA, San Fran - I think it would look like the above:
People vastly underestimate SF’s architecture. The skyscrapers may not be great but the Victorian rowhouses and mid-rise architecture in SF is awesome. In my better than DC and - again, aside from skyscrapers - Chicago as well.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:23 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prelude91 View Post
Well the City Target in Chicago took over the old Carson Pirie Scott store on State Street, the structure already existed and there is no need in this day and age for a 7 story department store. I believe Target has 2 floors and the rest converted to office space.

These are scaled down versions of the monstrosities that are seen in less urban areas.
I know a reply to a 7-year old post. But the Target in the Old Carson Pierre Scot NATIONAL LANDMARK building of renown architect- Louis Sullivan kept street-level retail and the retail overall returned to the street. Just more Mall-type stores on State St like TJ Max is across the street vs N Michigan Ave as higher-end ones many built as new flagship stores for the retailers.

Street view of the downtown Chicago State St Target in the Loop.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8820...7i16384!8i8192

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
leaving manhattan... bridge amtrak goes over to exit manhattan going northbound. Much, much more scenic than the amtrak journey into chicago.

File:Spuyten Duyvil Swing Bridge from Inwood, Manhattan.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Why is Amtrak thru a city a measure of its urban vibrancy.... maybe under other in the OP's criteria list. Even much of Chicago's L goes thru alleys and not street-fronts. Amtrak does more industrial areas or again backs of neighborhoods. It can't go over Lake Michigan. None I know of .... goes thru a park even.

Maybe Philly's Amtrak run is more scenic to you.

Last edited by DavePa; 02-27-2019 at 09:40 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 09:18 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,221,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Yes agree there are some similarities, maybe the best comparator really. Just goes to show how massive NYC is as that is but one of so many numerous great places whreas others have fewer offerings.

To Bajan - Dont think ME will get the shopping as more and more keeps goignto rittenhouse and MW

And it looks like city targets and the like are coming to ME

Also the first set of electronic billboards may be up in months

A Great Sign For A Great City? (Updated) | Hidden City Philadelphia

Market East + Billboards = Target? | NakedPhilly

Now if the Gallery can ever be fixed and fil the disney hole it would be a huge start. W just announced a 600ft tower at 15th and Chestnut - while a great addition that at say 8th and Market may have helped more. That area where its going is a sliver parking lot two blocks from the square itself and compressed among many other tall buildings

TBH though I like areas like Rittenhouse and Union Sq better in many ways for day to day
Market East always reminded me of Fulton mall in Downtown Brooklyn. They just look and feel so similar when walking through them. Some of the stores and architecture are really similar as well. Both areas are going through transformations, but they probably both still could use a lot more work though

Old 03-01-2019, 08:54 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Central Denver
https://b386363e680359b5cc19-97ec114...orhood-Map.pdf
There is no scale on this map, but I can tell from the mile markers on I-70 and I-25 that it's roughly 4 mi X 4 mi.

Density: The Capitol Hill neighborhood has a density of a little over 25,000.
https://statisticalatlas.com/neighbo...ill/Population

Walk-ability: Very walkable. Mostly flat, plenty of sidewalks, pedestrian friendly, weather is decent for walking all but a few days a year. Little rain, not *that* much snow.

Public transportation: Excellent. This is where it all comes together-light rail, buses, BRT, free shuttle in the downtown mall area.

Public spaces/Parks: Excellent. City of Cuernavaca Park, Confluence Park, both along the confluence of the Platte River and Cherry Creek with rafting and kayaking; City Park and City Park Golf Course; Civic Center Park.
https://www.denver.org/listing/civic-center-park/6823/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...d=101&filter=7
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...d=101&filter=7
Public spaces: Larimer Square, 16th St. Mall, Union Station shops

Architecture: Meh for the downtown buildings, "Early Oil Boom" for some of them. Cutesy little houses in the residential areas, lots of new apartment buildings.

Quality of Food / Types of Food: Pretty much everything you could desire. Small family restaurants, high end restaurants, fast food, everything in between.

Nightlife: Supposedly pretty good. Not my style. Ask my kids.

Museums: Excellent. Denver Museum of Nature and Science, Denver Botanic Gardens, Denver Art Museum, Children's Museum of Denver, History Colorado Center, Clyfford Still Museum, Kirkland Museum, Molly Brown House Museum, Center for Colorado Women's History at the Byers-Evans House Museum, and many more close by.

"Other" Colorado State Capitol, Denver City-County Building, Denver Mint (Not a candy store, they make money there!)

Old 03-03-2019, 09:08 PM

839 posts, read 735,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymes with Best Coast View Post
An intriguing concept that was brought forth in the "Most Urban" thread when it was still interesting is the concept of "pedestrian" traffic. Not much to go on out there in the web. But I found a couple of tidbits that I thought may be of interest concerning Powell St. of Downtown San Francisco and how it compares with other busy pedestrian thoroughfares from other major cities.

Found on page 11 of this report:
http://www.visitunionsquaresf.com/documents/Walking-Dollars_4.20.2010.pdf

Pedestrian Traffic and Flow Volume

Oxford St., London
Weekdays: 132,210
Weekend: 138,080

Times Square, NYC
Weekend: 122,761
Weekday: 109,362

Powell St., SF
Weekend: 103,298
Weekday: 46,106

Stroget St., Copenhagen
Weekend: 56,106
Weekday: 72,100

Pier 39, SF
Weekend: 83,690
Weekday: 39,230

Plus a couple of other various steets from SF, London, Melbourne. Sorry, I'm feeling pretty lazy, lol! However, I feel this data goes to show how high some of SF's streets can peak if they are being compared to streets like these. These are streets where there is so much pedestrian action that you can sense the "vibrancy" in the air. So, if that's what you want to talk about. Pedestrian volume is a good start.

I would love to see counts for other cities/streets. But like I said, information is sparse on this concept.
I have been to New York and I am surprised that Oxford Street, while very busy, is busier on a weekday than Times Square on a weekend. I would have thought Times Square would have been busier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning