Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2012, 12:34 AM

232 posts, read 496,420 times

Advertisements

I currently reside in a small town in Upstate New York that is home to two universities; one SUNY and one private. These two schools basically run the local economy. There is no major business other than your basic retail; Walmart, Walgreens, TJ Maxx, Office Max, and so on. As a result of small business and education ruling the economy here, the income is a bit low, about $25K for a household and $40K for a family.

I am wondering how governments, and other organizations help raise the income of a specific area. Obviously, it involves attracting new companies/industries but how? Tax breaks? Land grants? How can the average income be increased?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2012, 08:06 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,520,593 times
If you find out the answer, please tell my city.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:58 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,287,780 times
Since when do Walmart, Walgreens, TJ Maxx and Office Max count as small business?

Old 03-17-2012, 10:58 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,603,611 times
Eliminate taxes completely. Your small town will become a haven for the wealthy.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Yeah but without services how will you attract the wealthy? Don't they need water and roadways, at a minimum?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 843 times
This is very viable strategy, hopefully its implemented wider.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:59 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,955,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Eliminate taxes completely. Your small town will become a haven for the wealthy.
I guess that's why so many wealthy folk live in NYC, because of the super low tax rates.

Old 03-20-2012, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakparkdude View Post
I guess that's why so many wealthy folk live in NYC, because of the super low tax rates.
Yeah I'm sure they enjoy purifying their own water from the Hudson and maintaining Broadway "as the market dictates."

Old 03-20-2012, 11:29 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
I think you should start by asking why businesses don't choose this city.

What cities nearby do they choose instead? Why?

A manufacturing business tends to like lower priced land, good but not too expensive labor, and good access to distribution resources (roads, rail, etc.). They may also want reasonable regulations.

Retailers wants customers.

High tech companies want talent.

Tourism needs attractions.

Etc......Pretend you are a business looking for a new location. Where would you choose?

Old 04-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 11 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,923,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frischee112 View Post
I currently reside in a small town in Upstate New York that is home to two universities; one SUNY and one private. These two schools basically run the local economy. There is no major business other than your basic retail; Walmart, Walgreens, TJ Maxx, Office Max, and so on. As a result of small business and education ruling the economy here, the income is a bit low, about $25K for a household and $40K for a family.

I am wondering how governments, and other organizations help raise the income of a specific area. Obviously, it involves attracting new companies/industries but how? Tax breaks? Land grants? How can the average income be increased?
Some Urban Planning practices can encourage the economy of a local area for getting significantly better.

Some possible ways are to decrease excessive taxes for businesses/companies, decrease the price of monthly and annual renting/real estate for businesses/companies. Those lower costs can bring in a lot of successful businesses/companies that bring more wealth to the area in that way.

Also, it is good for a place to get a diversified economy so it does not rely one sole thing too much.

It seems like the location you mentioned does not have a diversified economy so few benefit from it and it is highly vulnerable.

Urban Planning can also make a place much more desirable in other ways not related to Economics. And that can actually indirectly influence companies/businesses to go to locations that offers desirability/higher quality of life for the people that will work for those jobs.

Companies/Businesses and other things like that related to the economy are very selective for where they want to be in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning