Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:05 PM

458 posts, read 2,775,942 times

Advertisements

What metro area do you think has the best freeways and why?

I have not been to very many cities, most of them in the rust belt area which I am not a very big fan of, but of the one's I have been to the Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex had by far the best freeways. There were plenty of them making it fairly easy to get anywhere in the area you wanted on the freeways. They do get backed up at times but that is going to happen in any big area. There were tons of interchanges and such but it was actually pretty easy to navagate and get around. We showed up on a Saturday and had never even been to Texas before and had a pretty good feel for the main freeways by Monday. For an area of that size, it's actually pretty easy to get around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 10:17 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,658,437 times
Every major city I've been to has had a pretty good freeway system.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:42 PM

1,048 posts, read 4,346,484 times
I would day Dallas (been there) and Indianapolis (not been thee) from what I seen on the map.

In Denver, CO, it is ok, but not the best system out there.

Old 08-25-2007, 10:48 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,316,428 times
Phoenix. The freeway system was a long time coming, but now that it is built, it's state of the art. Extremely well light up at night, easy to follow the road with the reflectors put in the lanes, and easy to follow signs. Every several months they pave the freeways with rubberized asphalt, making it a really smooth and quiet drive. Parts of the system, such as the 101 through Scottsdale and north Phoenix having really good views of the desert mountains. Now, the actual drivers who are on the freeways is a whole different story.

Old 08-26-2007, 12:49 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,868,736 times
I go to Plano for work and find the traffic to be horrible. However, the condition of the highways are very good. Believe it or not, I found LA's freeways to be nice too. Much better than Chicago's which get beat up from the combination of snow, salt and semis. Seems easy to get around Minneapolis too. The state of Wisconsin has good road. Smooth, not too crowded and free!

Old 08-26-2007, 03:39 AM

718 posts, read 2,689,314 times
Last time i checked people in chicagoland had to pay money for their "tollways".

southern california has a freeway running through nearly every city all the way out to riverside and such

Old 08-26-2007, 08:27 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,902,374 times
Chicagoland has two kinds of expressways: the older freeways in the city, and the newer/cleaner tollways out in the suburbs. The tollway system is well maintained. Because I'm from Michigan and don't believe in toll roads, I hate to admit it, but I bought an I-Pass anyway.

Michigan is replacing its rattle-inducing concrete freeways with grooved limestone (or something) pavement and also asphalt. Both are awful to drive on. Concrete is much nicer.

It took forever for Phoenix to build roads, probably because they needed to source the speed cameras at the same time. Such wonderful local/regional government ... don't call us when the drought happens and Arizona can't figure anything out.

Old 08-26-2007, 01:34 PM

718 posts, read 2,689,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
Chicagoland has two kinds of expressways: the older freeways in the city, and the newer/cleaner tollways out in the suburbs. The tollway system is well maintained. Because I'm from Michigan and don't believe in toll roads, I hate to admit it, but I bought an I-Pass anyway.

Michigan is replacing its rattle-inducing concrete freeways with grooved limestone (or something) pavement and also asphalt. Both are awful to drive on. Concrete is much nicer.

It took forever for Phoenix to build roads, probably because they needed to source the speed cameras at the same time. Such wonderful local/regional government ... don't call us when the drought happens and Arizona can't figure anything out.
Um.. it took phoenix a while to build roads because 25 years ago it was a tiny desert city. Now it has over a million people. Chicago's toll ways didn't pop up over night. Personally I don't even think chicago would be capable of sustaining such a rapid population growth.And Arizona wouldn't call Illinois for their polluted water if they had a drought...theyd just get it from northern california's sierra nevada mountains, just like southern california.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,422 times
Dallas has an excellent freeway system... one of the best I've seen.

Minneapolis had nice roads however, I found them to be a bit confusing. I got lost a few times driving around the Twin Cities.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:31 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,230,422 times
Dallas has an excellent freeway system... one of the best I've seen.

Minneapolis had nice roads however, I found them to be a bit confusing. I got lost a few times driving around the Twin Cities.

Denver's freeway system isn't bad... the addition of a fifth lane on I-25 has greatly improved traffic flow for north and southbound commuters, but some sections are severely outdated and were not built to handle so much traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning