Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 11:00 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,627,730 times

Advertisements

San Antonio has a good freeway system

Texas @ AARoads - San Antonio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,229,817 times
While Atlanta's interstate system is nice, it simply isn't enough to handle the volume. I'm waiting for 75 going into Cobb co. to be 15 lanes wide on each side, lol. It'll still be gridlock every day.

St. Louis is pretty nice simply because there are so many ways in and out. The only problem is that the roads are just beat to hell, they all need repaved.

I've never liked the roads in the DC suburbs of Maryland, glad I don't have to drive on them anymore.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:07 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,789,353 times
Nashville, TN.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,631 times
Someone mentioned Kansas City. I think not. You have to really pay attention on its curves and watch out for exits that pop up on short notice. That's not a good freeway system in my mind.

Phoenix wins hands down as others here have noted. Exits at regular 1 mile intervals, straight and smooth roadways, clean and clear signage, artistic elements and landscaping, etc. When the system is completely built out and the South Mountain freeway gets connected to I-10, it will be truly be the best in the country.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,996,209 times
I know one that doesn't; luckily there is a good rail system

Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,080,009 times
Houston and Dallas.

I HATE San Antonio's freeways. I even took a video last Sunday of how screwed up it is.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:13 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,033,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDBaumgardner View Post
Columbus has one of the most expansive and best freeway systems, I have ever seen. Columbus is an enormous city that also has very intense traffic.
Fortunately, due to insight of the city leaders and the presence of the state government being based in the city, the freeways are well positioned and are quite adequate in funneling the heavy
volume of traffic that traverses the region on a daily basis.

I-71 travels through Columbus, connecting to both Cleveland and Cincinnatti ( North & South )
I-70 travels through the city, in an east / west direction
I-270 is an enormous outer beltway that completely encircles the entire city of Columbus, and connects to I-71, I-70, Route 315 freeway and the innerbelt
I-670
I-670 is the innerbelt freeway that rings the city centre, and easily funnels traffic from Port Columbus International Airport to the city centre.
SR 315 - It is a near west artery that helps to alleviate heavy traffic congestion between the city centre of Columbus and the OSU campus, in addition to
providing an alternate from the north / south congestion of I-71
It does, however, until that I-71/I-70 interchange is reconfigured that is always a mess, not sure it can be considered the 'best'.

You also forgot US-23 (which is part of the future I-73 corridor if it ever gets funding) that is a divided 4-lane highway for much of the way to the north towards Toledo & I-75 and to the south towards Huntington. And US-33 is also a 4-lane expressway/highway to the northwest/southeast of the city.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,257,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I-45 from Houston to Galveston was the first freeway built in Texas, yet still appears more modern than most other major Texas cities freeways.
That's because generations of construction workers have retired off of the Gulf Freeway. As soon as it's reconstructed, it seems like they start all over again.

For this question, I'll say that D/FW, Phoenix, Houston, Kansas City and San Diego. There seem to be enough freeways for the amount of traffic that they carry, and they are evenly distributed enough. The only part of the Dallas system that I can say is really bad for long periods of time is the LBJ Freeway between the Tollway and the Central Expressway. The North Central Expwy between DT Dallas and McKinney can get pretty bad, but that's more of a volume issue, and it's not that bad compared to other cities.

For many years, freeways were not being built in Phoenix (except the Black Canyon/I-17 Freeway) because the powers that be thought it would bring more sprawl to the area. Since the area was growing and sprawling anyhow, it was realized that it made sense to go ahead and build the freeways. I say that PHX has more than made up for it's earlier lack of freeways, and has seemed to handle the onslaught of people a lot better than thought.

I'm 50/50 about Atlanta. While our freeways are wide and generally well-maintained, there simply aren't enough, and the arterial system is too antiquated and lacks a grid system, so most traffic here has no alternative. The Downtown Connector is up to 16 lanes wide in some spots and it's still choked with traffic because not only is there no other alternative, there are too many exits, but it's the only North-South Route in the immediate area. I-285 was originally meant to be a bypass of the city, but since it's the truck route and several edge cities developed among it over the last 40 years, it can get pretty bad, and many travelers just passing through Atlanta have realized that it's often faster to pass through the city rather than go around it on 285.

Orlando has a good network of TOLLways. Well-maintained and generally flowing decently. However, the only FREEway in town, I-4, sucks majorly.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,027,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
That's because generations of construction workers have retired off of the Gulf Freeway. As soon as it's reconstructed, it seems like they start all over again.

For this question, I'll say that D/FW, Phoenix, Houston, Kansas City and San Diego. There seem to be enough freeways for the amount of traffic that they carry, and they are evenly distributed enough. The only part of the Dallas system that I can say is really bad for long periods of time is the LBJ Freeway between the Tollway and the Central Expressway. The North Central Expwy between DT Dallas and McKinney can get pretty bad, but that's more of a volume issue, and it's not that bad compared to other cities.
Yeah but when is Dallas ever going to get some real HOV lanes. Not those movable barricades or pylons people just run over.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,467,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah but when is Dallas ever going to get some real HOV lanes. Not those movable barricades or pylons people just run over.
OMG....Leave dallas alone...You had to point that out because too many people was stating that they like Dallas' freeway system....chill out!!! its not a contest....nobody said they liked dallas freeways better than Houstons....gosh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning