Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 04:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times

Advertisements

The urban prtoblems are like schools ;we have been pouring moeny into them with poorer results. We have been pouring Urban renewal money at urban problems and yet they decay more. I hate to say it but that money is like to be coming in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 07:29 PM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
Different tolerances for the problem. Send them to some city with a high tolerance for the homeless.
This is based on the assumption that cities with lots of homeless people have them because the city welcomes their presence. This is a fallacy.
Quote:
Or they go to some other city that does provide low income housing.
This is based on a similar fallacy assumption. Cities take steps to provide low-income housing in response to need.

Quote:
Sorry I don't consider sewers to be a social service, and I can't recall anywhere where people other than the homeless were getting fed by the city. Even then it is usually private groups and not the government running the soup kitchen. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're talking about.
Public or private, the largest social services tend to set up in cities, while if there are any facilities in the suburbs they tend to be satellite offices, small in size and scale, that mostly refer people downtown. The end result tends to be a pattern that keeps the poor and needy flowing towards downtown (or, more recently, towards older residential suburbs in decay) and away from the favored quarter of residential suburbs.

Free-breakfast and school lunch programs, food stamps and WIC are all examples of government programs that feed people, often people who are not homeless.

Sewers were part of a greater move for public sanitation, but yes, you are misunderstanding what I'm talking about--even suburbs provide sewers.

Quote:
A little bit worse. Most places people don't seem to ride public transportation in large numbers anyways.
Maybe you don't ride public transit and haven't seen it, but even in cities without a lot of public transit, it is busy at rush hour. And if a bus holds 50 people, one bus means 50 cars not on the street during the peak time when 50 cars can make a big difference.
Quote:
Seems to work pretty well for suburbs doesn't it?
It does, because it is based on making someone else clean up your own messes. It's passing the buck, not taking responsibility.

Quote:
Please. It was voting not welfare that kept the US from having some uprising of the poor. That's what all those revolting the 1840s in Europe wanted. You can put that sort of thinking aside. Even Marx would repudiate himself on this if he was alive today.
Look at the history of the 20th century, not the 19th--the authoritarian regimes in Russia, Italy, Germany, Spain and China did not take power based on promises of democracy (none of them let people vote)--they were in response to poverty, economic inequality and hunger. The United States chose a different path, and while there were both communist (and fascist) groups in the United States who wanted to follow the path of Russia (or Italy and Germany), they never took hold--the institutions of democracy were too strong, American people were not hungry enough to revolt en masse because we actually made an effort to feed our people. But that's a historical aside best continued elsewhere.

The point is that American societies have problems that need solving, and traditionally the suburban solution is to physically move those problems physically away from the middle class and pretend they are solved, then blame cities for not being able to shoulder the suburbs' problems.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:06 PM

217 posts, read 409,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't mind if there was somewhere affordable I could live and walk to work (and groceries, movies, restaurants would be a bigger plus), but I'd definitely have a car even so.
It's not that I refuse to own a car. But grad school loans, medical bills from a no-insurance trip to the ER and other lingering stuff from when I was out of work make buying one completely out of the question. I wouldn't mind having a very small car, about 10 years old, to use a couple of times a week. Even if you live close to a transit station, Atlanta can be a tough place to live without a car because the transit coverage isn't at all what it should be cabs are overpriced and Zipcar's prices keep getting higher and higher.

Quote:
They could buy them a bus ticket and send them down the road. That's not a permanent solution, but if you they were to do it once a month or so it'd keep things managable.
When you say "Buy them a bus ticket..." do you mean offer it to them or make them leave somehow? Forced relocation is pretty uniformly frowned upon, even for people who have nothing. Sounds like an avalanche of pro-bono lawsuit waiting to happen. Besides, again, where will they go and what will they do there? There's no such place as "away."

Now, if there was money for it, a program like the one in New York - in which homeless people can receive plane or bus tickets out of town IF there's someone to take them in at their destination - might be helpful.

Quote:
This does imply you have a higher tolerance for such things since you're alluding to unresponsive government and high crime by pointing out all the things that aren't being done and mentioning more police as one of them..
It depends on your definition of "unresponsive." My expectations of government at any level are pretty low, especially after going to journalism school. If I vote for someone I'm happy if they just get SOMEthing done, even if it's not the first things I would have chosen. The quality of my life generally has nearly nothing to do with who's holding any given elected office because things tend to change very, very slowly. Those people who get all bent out of shape about politics are like beings from another planet to me - baffling and a little scary.

Atlanta's police department is notorious for having officers stay here just long enough to get some experience, then take jobs in the suburbs or in other cities where they'll be paid better, which keeps the APD chronically short-handed. The city of Atlanta and the District of Columbia both have populations of about 500,000, but DC has about 50 percent more police officers than we do. Ridiculous. Since that's not going to change quickly, I'd rather have the officers that we do have attending to violent and property crime than rousting people from their sleeping spots.

I'm pretty certain that it wasn't homeless people who pulled a truck up to my building and tried to smash a glass door with a concrete block so they could steal the flat-screens off the wall in the lobby - twice.

Of course homelessness does lead to some problems that damage the quality of public space, namely littering and....other waste disposal issues.

I agree with your basic premise - that more people would live in the city if more parts of it were as "nice" as some parts of some suburbs. But "nice" costs money and a lot of people seem to want the amenities in place before they come, or they have different ideas about what's necessary for a place to be pleasant to live in. For example, someone at my job said the other day that she refuses to eat at any restaurant that doesn't have free parking. Not surprisingly, she lives way out in Cobb County. But she also complains almost daily about how awful the traffic is coming to or going from downtown.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:52 AM

8,673 posts, read 17,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedestriAnne View Post
I agree with your basic premise - that more people would live in the city if more parts of it were as "nice" as some parts of some suburbs. But "nice" costs money and a lot of people seem to want the amenities in place before they come, or they have different ideas about what's necessary for a place to be pleasant to live in. For example, someone at my job said the other day that she refuses to eat at any restaurant that doesn't have free parking. Not surprisingly, she lives way out in Cobb County. But she also complains almost daily about how awful the traffic is coming to or going from downtown.
A suburban commuter who complains about how traffic and parking is so bad in the city is kind of like a burglar complaining about how crime is so bad in the city.

Old 03-13-2011, 05:50 PM

217 posts, read 409,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
A suburban commuter who complains about how traffic and parking is so bad in the city is kind of like a burglar complaining about how crime is so bad in the city.
Well, I don't it get it either. She's been working in the same building downtown for at least 10 years and she and her husband don't have kids, so the "bad schools" consideration is out. I assume that they just love their house or they've put a lot of money into it. This person is a compulsive complainer anyway, though. If she lived up the street from work, she'd find something burdensome about that too. The SEC tournament is here this weekend and she was complaining about "all these people walking all over the place" downtown. Her absolute favorite topic is how useless, corrupt, wasteful and incompetent the government is, but she's been collecting a paycheck from a government agency at some level for the past 25 years (and judging by her abundant TMI medical complaints, using the heck out their insurance coverage).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning