Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 11:33 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I don't get this. The U.S. has both red and gray squirrels.
Ah, well in the late 19th or early 20th century somebody decided it would be lovely to import some exotic grey/gray North American squirrels to live in their (presumably large) country garden. Wouldn't they make a lovely addition to the native red squirrels?

The problem was that the squirrels decided that they might like to live outside the intended garden. The greys are bigger than our native reds, more aggressive, breed faster and carried a disease that they had developed immunity to and our red squirrels hadn't.

Long story short is that native British red squirrels are on the verge of extinction and the greys are thriving. The red is lovely and fluffy and the grey is vermin (that is how most people see it and I have to say most people have nothing nice to say about the grey).

Once again the bigger American defeats the feeble British reds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 03:31 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,222,724 times
Sort of like how I feel about the House Sparrow and the Starling

Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,485 times
Default British badgers

I don't think that there are any animals that the British badgers have had to worry about in a long time.In the U.S. they have to compete with wolves,bears,mountain lions and maybe some of the smaller predators.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 AM

18,530 posts, read 18,761,435 times
OH your badgers will be much bigger..

Old 02-16-2013, 04:11 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've seen pictures of people in the UK holding badgers, having badgers feed in their backyards etc. The badgers in the US are known for being sort of bad tempered, assertive, even aggressive. We don't seem to have that many, they seem pretty solitary and the idea of a bunch of them eating in someones backyard seems pretty unlikely.
I tried googling but though well I'll ask! Are they different species or something? How common are UK badgers and what are they like?
The two badger are different species looking at images of North American badgers and Eurasian badgers they are very different. Eurasian badgers are very social and live in dens while American badgers do not heard that they claim trees?
Badgers are common in the UK the government is thinking about a cull because they suspect that the badgers are spreading TB to cows.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:56 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,884,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I've seen pictures of people in the UK holding badgers, having badgers feed in their backyards etc. The badgers in the US are known for being sort of bad tempered, assertive, even aggressive. We don't seem to have that many, they seem pretty solitary and the idea of a bunch of them eating in someones backyard seems pretty unlikely.
I tried googling but though well I'll ask! Are they different species or something? How common are UK badgers and what are they like?
Nobody would dare touch a badger here lol!!! The Badgers here are massive and they can cause people to die when they run out on the road and cause a car accident.

Don't know were you came to that conclusion from.

There aren't many badgers again so i'm not sure were your coming to the conclusion on how they are in backyards. I think I last seen one two years ago.

This is the badgers we have in ni:
Photo Gallery

Just looked at American badgers and they are definitely different.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Then there is whole red/grey squirrel contoversy.

The American red squirrel has a bad reputation over here.

Some conservationists would like them all wiped out.
Its a grey Squirrel and yes it has because it has out-breaded our squirrels.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
The two badger are different species looking at images of North American badgers and Eurasian badgers they are very different. Eurasian badgers are very social and live in dens while American badgers do not heard that they claim trees?
Badgers are common in the UK the government is thinking about a cull because they suspect that the badgers are spreading TB to cows.
It must be different over here because my dad has told us stories of how the badgers would attack people and cows when he would work on the farm and that his father would have to go out and shoot them.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:19 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,386,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It must be different over here because my dad has told us stories of how the badgers would attack people and cows when he would work on the farm and that his father would have to go out and shoot them.
Badgers attacking people really I thougt badgers were shy animals.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:51 AM

13,487 posts, read 9,032,668 times
I have never seen a Badger, well not a live one anyway, just dead ones by the side of the road in the country...

I'm not sure that they are common garden visitors, unless you have some huge garden & live in some rural area, they certainly are not as frequent a garden visitor as say a Fox or Squirrel & I can't imagine anyone would be able to pick one up unless it had been hand reared as a baby & kept as a 'pet'...

On the other hand I don't for one minute believe they 'attack' humans! lol. The poor urban Fox is currently getting a lot of bad press because of two very rare & isolated attacks on babies, newspapers would have you believe they are a smaller version of a blood thirsty Wolf & this is completely ridiculous & I'm not sure I even believe that Foxes were responsible for these attacks in the first place, many wildlife experts don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom