Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 AM

358 posts, read 982,593 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on making a trip to Ireland and the UK next summer to visit the places of my ancestors and heritage.

I'd like to visit places in Ireland, Scotland and England.

More specifically, these places:

England:
-Yorkshire
-Devon

Scotland:
-Galloway

Ireland:
-Galway
-Mayo

Northern Ireland:
-Ulster

Of course I'd like to visit some of the larger places as well, such as Belfast, Cork, Glasgow, London, etc...

It might not be possible to visit of the places listed, but I'd certainly like to get in as many possible.

Anybody have suggestions as to which of these counties would be the most accessible and practical? Also, about how long might it take to make it to all of the places listed?

I'm still in the preliminary stages of my planning , but I was hoping to get some insight as to the pros and cons of traveling to all of these different places.

Any input is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:44 AM

294 posts, read 698,850 times
The only input i can give you is on Devon and Yorkshire.

Yorkshire is the Biggest county in England consisting of West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire and East Yorkshire the latter some refer as Humberside.

West Yorkshire along with South Yorkshire is very urban with large Cities and towns. but it also has rural areas.

North Yorkshire is very rural,it includes the old city of York and many smaller towns and villages.

East Yorkshire ( Humberside) is rural, but has the large port of Hull.

Devon is very,very rural. it is one of the more popular tourist destinations in the UK.
Plymouth is the largest city along with Exeter. Torbay (Torquay, Paignton and Brixham) is called the English riviera.

Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM

337 posts, read 793,541 times
Josh - Plan on a MONTH to see things properly. But as an American, I doubt you have that much time off work. So you may want to take it in chunks...

A car trip from York to Torquay (Devon) would take at least 5.5 hours...And you would be stress from driving on the opposite of the road...Speaking form years of experience.

Yorkshire and Scotland - could easlily take a week.

Ireland/Northern Ireland - Could easily take as much time as you want.

There are some amazing places to see in all of GB and Ireland. Good luck

Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Those places you've picked are so far apart, in reality. How long do you have over there? If it's only a week or two weeks, focus on one or two destinations.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I'm planning on making a trip to Ireland and the UK next summer to visit the places of my ancestors and heritage.

I'd like to visit places in Ireland, Scotland and England.

More specifically, these places:

England:
-Yorkshire
-Devon

Scotland:
-Galloway

Ireland:
-Galway
-Mayo

Northern Ireland:
-Ulster

Of course I'd like to visit some of the larger places as well, such as Belfast, Cork, Glasgow, London, etc...

It might not be possible to visit of the places listed, but I'd certainly like to get in as many possible.

Anybody have suggestions as to which of these counties would be the most accessible and practical? Also, about how long might it take to make it to all of the places listed?

I'm still in the preliminary stages of my planning , but I was hoping to get some insight as to the pros and cons of traveling to all of these different places.

Any input is welcome.
If you are going up to Scotland, then knowing how you love castles, I think it would be a shame to miss out the Northumberland coast on the way ,even if you only saw Alnwick castle (where one of the Harry Potter films was shot) Alnmouth, Warkworth and Bamburgh.There is a rail line between Newcastle upon Tyne (international airport-flights to/from Dublin,London,Belfast and Edinburgh) and Edinburgh running up the coast, but a limite number only will stop at Alnwick. But it's only a 40min drive from Newcastle upon Tyne

Visit Northumberland | Northumberland cottages, hotels, B&Bs and attractions

Durham city-about 30 miles south of newcastle is also very nice
Discover North East England - Visit North East England (http://www.visitnortheastengland.com/site/discover-north-east-england - broken link)

Old 07-23-2009, 01:34 AM

Yeah, I might be plotting out a few too many places to try and get to.

One thing is for sure, though. I definitely want to get to Glasgow to see a Celtic match. I've sorta adopted them as my favorite soccer club.

I'd like to catch a rugby match somewhere along the way, too. I'd like to see Brian O'Driscoll play, but I'm not sure which club he's on at the moment. I think a team in Dublin.

I'd really actually like to make it a point to avoid the more opolitan areas as much as possible. I'd like to see more traditional areas of Ireland and the UK, as I feel that the more international and cosmopolitan areas probably aren't much different from many of the big cities I've been to here in the States.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:42 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,296 times
You can cover parts of scotland and yorkshire. Depending where you're going from it'll take 4 - 8 hours via train. You can fly to Ireland from many regional airports in yorkshire. I believe there's flights also to exeter. Obviously flying isn't the cheapest option but the quickest.

O'Driscoll plays rugby union for Irish side Munster.

Old 07-25-2009, 11:33 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,985,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
You can cover parts of scotland and yorkshire. Depending where you're going from it'll take 4 - 8 hours via train. You can fly to Ireland from many regional airports in yorkshire. I believe there's flights also to exeter. Obviously flying isn't the cheapest option but the quickest.

O'Driscoll plays rugby union for Irish side Munster.
Not quite right richt, Brian O'Driscoll (total hottie) plays for Leinster. They just won the Heineken Cup.

Anyhow, I would also agree w/ many of the posts here to stick to one region (or at least one island) at a time. There's just way too much to see and explore in one visit. If in Ireland the entire west coast/southwest coast is fabulous and just gorgeous. You could easily spend about a week or more in each area.

Old 07-26-2009, 12:50 AM

I appreciate everyone's input.

I may have to select one area in each country to visit, as time and money won't last me long.

What are the state of things in Northern Ireland these days?

I've got friends in Belfast, but of course they're gonna say it's peachy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom