Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 09:25 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times

Advertisements

Two British troops killed in N. Ireland - CNN.com

I still dont exactly understand the definitive reason why Ireland and Northern Ireland are at odds. didnt they both sign the Good Friday agreement in 1998?

I know Ireland is Protestant and Northern Ireland is Catholic or is it vice versa?

The fighting couldnt be from religous tensions could it? or is the reason of the fighting because Northern Ireland isnt united with Ireland?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:45 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,428,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
Two British troops killed in N. Ireland - CNN.com

I still dont exactly understand the definitive reason why Ireland and Northern Ireland are at odds. didnt they both sign the Good Friday agreement in 1998?

I know Ireland is Protestant and Northern Ireland is Catholic or is it vice versa?

The fighting couldnt be from religous tensions could it? or is the reason of the fighting because Northern Ireland isnt united with Ireland?
WOW, you need to read up on some history. This is the conflict I always point to when christians say its only the muslims who are terrorist.

Originally all of Ireland was Catholic. England took over and decided the best way to take over was to take their land and give it to Protestant English citizens and set them up as aristocracy in Ireland. This built up a wee bit of resentment over time.

The Queen (or king) of England is the head of the Church of England, the protestant church that not so long ago split with Rome so Henry VIII could have another wife. Everything from their (Irelands) money, stamps to their prisons had the English Queen or Kings name on it.

The Irish want the Protestants OUT of ALL of Ireland and to take the Queen and all her trappings with them. Of course the Protestants have now lived there foe generations and consider it their home and don't want to leave.

England has been able to maintain its control over Northern Ireland. Ireland is its own country, with its own government and no more queen on their money or their stamps.

A fine example of a war and lots of killing all over religion.

I'm descended from Irish catholic men who killed someone of the occupying force from the England and fled to the America to avoid being put to death for their crimes.

This conflict has always begged the question "How far would you go to be truly free?" At least for me anyway.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:34 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,057,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
WOW, you need to read up on some history. This is the conflict I always point to when christians say its only the muslims who are terrorist.

Originally all of Ireland was Catholic. England took over and decided the best way to take over was to take their land and give it to Protestant English citizens and set them up as aristocracy in Ireland. This built up a wee bit of resentment over time.

The Queen (or king) of England is the head of the Church of England, the protestant church that not so long ago split with Rome so Henry VIII could have another wife. Everything from their (Irelands) money, stamps to their prisons had the English Queen or Kings name on it.

The Irish want the Protestants OUT of ALL of Ireland and to take the Queen and all her trappings with them. Of course the Protestants have now lived there foe generations and consider it their home and don't want to leave.

England has been able to maintain its control over Northern Ireland. Ireland is its own country, with its own government and no more queen on their money or their stamps.

I'm descended from Irish catholic men who killed someone of the occupying force from the England and fled to the America to avoid being put to death for their crimes.

This conflict has always begged the question "How far would you go to be truly free?" At least for me anyway.

I know History pretty well but I do sometimes get confused when it comes to History of the British Isles and Europe (particularly relations between the British Isles and France)

Thanks for sharing your information

Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
I know History pretty well but I do sometimes get confused when it comes to History of the British Isles and Europe (particularly relations between the British Isles and France)

Thanks for sharing your information
I love History and majored in it in College the first time around. The history with France is even more convoluted and interesting.

England has a pretty bloody history. I don't recall if it was Ireland, Scotland or Wales but the occupying aristocracy was given the right to sleep with any new brides BEFORE the husband. The felt the people they had conquered were inferior and in this way maybe they could replace the native born people with people of English blood.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:10 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,316 times
England was greedy, trying to occupy Scotland, Ireland. The Scots and the English fought for hundreds of years.

I don't blame the Scots considering the circumstances.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:23 PM

447 posts, read 1,765,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post

As someone who is married to an Irish citizen and who holds Irish citizenship themselves, and who has lived in the Republic of Ireland, this is not exactly true.

The ROI (Republic of Ireland) is indeed a soveign country. Most Irish would certainly like to see Ireland united again. However, most of the confilcts (including the one recently) are all about Northern Ireland and their residents. Northern Ireland is about 60% Protestant and 40% Catholic. Indeed, this does cause a lot of the problem.

In our experiences, the citizens of the Republic are not as involved in this sort of confilict as the press leads you to believe. They don't really don't see this a religious conflict, but more of a political issue. Many believe that England is an occupying force.

All this being said, Ireland is a remarkably quiet and peaceful place to live. It has a very low violent crime presence and has to have the friendliest people ever.

Old 03-08-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
England was greedy, trying to occupy Scotland, Ireland. The Scots and the English fought for hundreds of years.

My adopted family is of Scottish lineage. I remember when we visited Edinburgh, I showed my Dad the money and asked him, if you lived here would you be able to tolerate having her picture on your money, on your stamps and everywhere else? He admitted that he would not be able to take it. If memory serves the English also forced Wales, Scotland and Ireland to give up their Mother tongue.

The whole Prince of Wales thing came about because a King way back when promised the Welsh that they would have their own Prince and his first language would be Welsh, raised in Wales etc. It was clearly understood that the Prince of Wales would be Welsh by the Welsh people, however the King took his own first born, sent him to be raised in Wales by a Welsh nanny. The tradition carries on to today where the Monarchs first born is crowned Prince of Wales in Carnevorn Castle and learns to speak Welsh.

If I were Welsh that would stick in my gut as well. Having a man who is more German then he is British, nevermind having a drop of Welsh blood in him, called The Prince of Wales.

These are some of the reasons that so many people fled Britain for the US. They felt that having the monarch being the head of the church of England and the country having an official religion like that was wrong as do I. Back in the day they used to burn so many people because of their religion, the crosses were next to each other reaching miles, the fires at Tyburn could be smelled for miles. Thats where King Henry the VIII's daughter Mary got her name (Bloody Mary), she decided to burn the Protestants because she was brought up Catholic by her Mother who was from Spain and related to the Holy Roman Emperor. Henry before her went the other way and tortured the Catholics, took the monastaries, made even his closest friends swear allegiance to him over the pope and when they would not they lost their head.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:08 PM

40 posts, read 113,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

Honestly, give it up. Most Ulster Protestants are descended from, guess who, the Scots. Open up a phone book in any Loyalist area and you'll see tons of Campbells, Reids, McGregors, Duncans, etc. All names of Scottish clans who fought so "bravely" against the English

Bloody Scots...at least the Irish had the guts to declare independence, you lot just stay and whinge, whinge, whinge about the English and how hard done by you are. Change the frickin' record.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:51 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightonMan84 View Post
Honestly, give it up. Most Ulster Protestants are descended from, guess who, the Scots. Open up a phone book in any Loyalist area and you'll see tons of Campbells, Reids, McGregors, Duncans, etc. All names of Scottish clans who fought so "bravely" against the English

Bloody Scots...at least the Irish had the guts to declare independence, you lot just stay and whinge, whinge, whinge about the English and how hard done by you are. Change the frickin' record.
Truth hurts....

Quote:
If memory serves the English also forced Wales, Scotland and Ireland to give up their Mother tongue.
They may have declared independence but at least they weren't greedy and trying to take over every country they could get their grubby hands on.

Where was the council tax first launched? In Scotland by England.....need I go on

Enough of getting off topic, main thing is what i was trying to say is that England has been well known for trying to control different countries. Look at Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland.

Last edited by Scotslass; 03-08-2009 at 04:00 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 06:04 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,484,723 times
When a country is occupied it should not be surprising when occupiers are killed now and then, as is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.