Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,332 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Being self-employed, I am able to live just about anywhere that has dedicated Internet access. I'm giving a lot of thought to living in the UK for a short time. In particular, I am interested in living in Scotland.

1)How long can I stay in the UK as an American with a normal passport?

2)How long does it take via train to arrive in London from Inverness?

3)What would a luxury two bedroom apartment in Inverness or Endinburgh rent for?

4)Is there broadband Internet access in most high end apartments in the large cities within Scotland?

Any other comments/suggestions would be great. As a side note, I am single, male, and in my upper 20s so a singles scene would be a bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 05:58 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,122,506 times
I am not too sure on the visa front but if your coming here i'd recommend the Renfrewshire area as its beautiful but within easy access to Glasgow and Edinburgh. You also get more for your money in this area. Reason why many people are flocking to my area. Good for commuting. Your about 25 mins from Glasgow by coach and 1 hour from Edinburgh too.

Depends where you want to live. A decent apartment here would cost around £70,000 to buy. To rent around £350 per month. (fully furnished)

There is good transportation links here, Glasgow international airport is 10 minutes from me.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:44 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,947,209 times
I have dual UK/US so never had the problem but I think you can stay up to 3 months. However, you can probably do a day trip to France which would reset the time. You would need to check.

Most people would not take the train from Inverness to London but would fly. The train might be fun once or twice but the trip takes anywhere from 8.5 hours to 12 hours depending on which train you get.

Beware Inverness in the winter. The days are very short and the weather very "dreich". On the other hand, summer days are as long as you want.

Don't know the cost of rentals but broadband is no problem.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:42 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,316,578 times
I can only attempt to answer the question of good quality accommodation. From what you have said, the type of place you are looking for will cost you much more than £350 a month. I don't know much about Scotland, so best you check out property agents on line or if want to spend top dolla check out Bridge Street. I've used them in the states and no people who have used them in London..

Corporate Apartments - BridgeStreet - Corporate Furnished Apartment Rental, Extended Stay

Old 02-08-2009, 10:51 AM

267 posts, read 1,288,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizTrvler85 View Post
Hello everyone,

Being self-employed, I am able to live just about anywhere that has dedicated Internet access. I'm giving a lot of thought to living in the UK for a short time. In particular, I am interested in living in Scotland.

1)How long can I stay in the UK as an American with a normal passport?

Not sure

2)How long does it take via train to arrive in London from Inverness?

11 hours on average. Flying is obviously much quicker.

3)What would a luxury two bedroom apartment in Inverness or Endinburgh rent for?

Not sure

4)Is there broadband Internet access in most high end apartments in the large cities within Scotland?

Broadband is available in most cities (1mb upto 50 mb)

Any other comments/suggestions would be great. As a side note, I am single, male, and in my upper 20s so a singles scene would be a bonus.
Hope that helps?

Old 02-08-2009, 04:32 PM

447 posts, read 1,767,749 times
You cannot work in the UK without a vaild work permit or visa that allows you to work. You should rally check out your visa status first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom