Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 02:03 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,606,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginengland View Post
The British (and I am one but I lived in the US for a long time) are a defeated and hopeless people. They have been living under the rule of their inbred and cruel monarchy so long that any will to resist has been completely destroyed. You are correct, the British are overtaxed, and the 'services' we pay for with those taxes are very poor.
You lot will hopefully make your minds up one day. Firstly we get the Monarchy has no power, are a nonentity, serve no purpose, and should be abolished..Then we get ""been living under the rule of their inbred and cruel monarchy so long that any will to resist has been completely destroyed""...
So which is it?? You can`t even agree amongst yourselves , and that losers is one of the reasons you will never get your beloved Republic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:20 PM

14 posts, read 46,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
You lot will hopefully make your minds up one day. Firstly we get the Monarchy has no power, are a nonentity, serve no purpose, and should be abolished..Then we get ""been living under the rule of their inbred and cruel monarchy so long that any will to resist has been completely destroyed""...
So which is it?? You can`t even agree amongst yourselves , and that losers is one of the reasons you will never get your beloved Republic....
anyone who believes the monarchy has no power is completely mistaken.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:27 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,606,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinginengland View Post
anyone who believes the monarchy has no power is completely mistaken.
Over to you then Slick..Without the aid of the Constitutional Monarchy page from Wiki though if you`d be so kind. It`s been posted here so many times in the past I`m sure folks know it word for word by now...

Old 12-23-2008, 02:52 PM

61 posts, read 119,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post
The Queen takes around 66p off of each of her subjects.......this is called the civil list which she uses to fund the work of the royal family, the government in reality pay for her "parties" which are infact of great use to the uk in forming friendships and insuring commerce and trade with other nations. The palaces you see her in are not hers, they belong to the nations people and are hers in trust, however, the government wont pay for there refurbishment, and they havent been referbished since her fathers time on the throne nearly 60 years ago
Why not keep those properties in trust in repair? That's ridiculous. It's like US not keeping the white house and other public properties in order. No real sense in that. I thought E-II had a couple of private huts in the U.K.
I also thought that the Windsor wealth far exceeds anything she receives as queen, so taxes are for upkeep. I don't see much to criticise there.

Old 12-23-2008, 03:39 PM

163 posts, read 321,423 times
Bet you didnt know she is one of the major stake holders in BP to name but a few!!! Amazing what you can find out if people actually bother to find out about the monarchy in depth, and not just slate them from what they have read in newspapers!!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 04:42 PM

183 posts, read 396,788 times
Quote:
Bet you didnt know she is one of the major stake holders in BP to name but a few!!! Amazing what you can find out if people actually bother to find out about the monarchy in depth, and not just slate them from what they have read in newspapers!!!!!
And is it the Queens own money that owns the stakes in BP?

Old 12-23-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartanlad View Post
And is it the Queens own money that owns the stakes in BP?

Yes as a matter of fact!!!!!

Old 12-23-2008, 05:17 PM

61 posts, read 119,332 times
If her financial advisors are worth anything, yes! There was a day long, long ago when the United States government made their budget the old fashioned way - they EARNED it through trade/commerse. I can respect that in a government, state or national. 1914 was the year the national income tax went into effect. It's a pig now. We keep feeding it and . . . no bacon, just a load of porcine poo. I'm just saying the machine is inefficient in the EXTREME. I think that's the major gripe of any taxed populace.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinaYanksbody View Post
If her financial advisors are worth anything, yes! There was a day long, long ago when the United States government made their budget the old fashioned way - they EARNED it through trade/commerse. I can respect that in a government, state or national. 1914 was the year the national income tax went into effect. It's a pig now. We keep feeding it and . . . no bacon, just a load of porcine poo. I'm just saying the machine is inefficient in the EXTREME. I think that's the major gripe of any taxed populace.

Problem is, that will NEVER happen in the UK as the vast majority of our major companies have been sold off to other countries. But I agree, that IS the way govenments should be working, but I shall never live to see it!!!!!!!

Old 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM

183 posts, read 396,788 times
Quote:
Yes as a matter of fact!!!!!
And that money comes from where? From the Queens part time job at Tesco? Or from us, the public maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom