Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 AM

770 posts, read 2,761,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
It's not just England. Scotland and NI are apart of the UK too so we are sometimes taxed "more" than England. Depends on where you live, what you earn yadda yadda.

My fiance is American and you get taxed more in the US. Federal tax, state, county, health insurance (alot), property tax..the list goes on.

I only pay income and council tax.

I dunno but it seems Americans forget about Scotland when they think of the "UK" I blame their education system...again.
I don't think that is strictly true

What about greater sales tax 17.5% in UK as opposed to (where I live NC) 6%
More tax on petrol and cigarettes and booze
national Insurance that is supposed to go to health care
Car tax
TV Licence (Tax)Plus no deductibles in UK whereas there are a LOT of deductibles in US

I am a Brit and have opted out of UK tax paying in order to pay US tax for significant savings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:52 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,142,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post

What about greater sales tax 17.5% in UK as opposed to (where I live NC) 6%
Car tax
TV Licence (Tax)Plus no deductibles in UK whereas there are a LOT of deductibles in US

I am a Brit and have opted out of UK tax paying in order to pay US tax for significant savings
You pay state, federal, income, SS, property, income tax in the U.S Not to mention the gastly cost of medical insurance, depending on your plan. My fiance is American and reckons some things are cheaper here, you do get more taxation in the states compared to here.

VAT is at 15% here now it is expensive but you still have to fork out more money on more tax there.

I know here you can bring a pension abroad once you retire can you do the same in the US?

Old 01-11-2009, 09:56 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,309,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post

What about greater sales. tax 17.5% in UK as opposed to (where I live NC) 6%
Car tax

Hey Steve....there are many states in the US where you have to pay car tax or vehicle registration. I work with people from GA who say that they paid far more there than here in FL.

There's propery tax here too, which is extortionate.

VAT registered companies in the UK can actually claim VAT back on purchases. If, by chance your business makes a loss, you may even get a VAT refund.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:54 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,788,777 times
One thing to keep in mind about the impact of VAT on personal finances: It's a flat-rate tax on your net income with no possibility for deductions to soften the blow.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:26 AM

116 posts, read 256,560 times
Default There are differences

I am absolutely sure that Americans get taxed less than British people, and also that by European standards, Britain has one of the lowest tax burdens. I am sick to death of people complaining about how much they get taxed in the UK, when in fact most other countries tax far more!
In comparison to the US, then of course, higher, more redistributional income tax as well as 17.5% VAT and extra fuel and alcohol duties mean that we pay more tax.
But, I think there are two key differences between the countries:

1) Americans HATE tax. I have never encountered a country's people (sorry for the sweeping generalisation) with such an anti-tax disposition. And not only that, a country that seems so accepting of lax measures on the rich. I have family in America, and from my experience Americans don't see the point in taxes, and would prefer to pay as little as is possible. British people, like everyone else, dislike paying tax, but seem to recognise its function and are resigned rather than opposed to paying.

2) In Britain, taxes seem to go somewhere. The NHS provides adequate healthcare at the point of use, you can be educated from nursery to university for free, although university fees have been introduced (disgrace!) which means that in total the cost of education for 16-18 years will come to about £3000, public transport makes travel very easy (if not cheap) and there is a welfare state that ensures a minimum standard of living. Whenever I visit America, I always notice a much more individual approach- for example when I asked my cousin how the best way to get into town was, he replied 'drive', and when I asked about buses or ways to walk, he told me that there were no services and that it wasn't safe to walk because there was no pavement! America puts a lot more emphasis on doing things yourself without help from the government, but people in the UK expect much more, and so are taxed more.

Hope this makes sense, and that people would actually look things up before making broad, inaccurate statements about the tax arrangements of different countries!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 PM

50 posts, read 100,413 times
Look western "liberal" (sic) states are addicted to taxing. Simple as that. It is not going to change. The totalitarian ambitions of the post welfare state can only be met by its having access to vast fortunes taxed from the citizenry.

I no longer rail about high tax. I just accept it as an aspect of living in the west. We spend hours a week working for The Man.....suck it up it aint changing.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:35 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,593,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
You pay state, federal, income, SS, property, income tax in the U.S Not to mention the gastly cost of medical insurance, depending on your plan. My fiance is American and reckons some things are cheaper here, you do get more taxation in the states compared to here.

VAT is at 15% here now it is expensive but you still have to fork out more money on more tax there.

I know here you can bring a pension abroad once you retire can you do the same in the US?
I assume you mean to say that Americans may be subject to federal, state and local income taxation, Social Security taxes (which include Medicare), local property taxes and sales taxes. A few things:

1. A good chunk of Americans pay no federal income taxes because deductions, exemptions and credits result in zero taxable income for them.
2. Not every state has an income tax, although most do.
3. The payment of Social Security taxes means you receive Social Security payments (think pension) when you retire, as early as 62. Medicare provides medical insurance starting at 65. Americans get something for this.
4. Property tax rates vary by locality, and in some localities they are indeed criminal, IMO. However, while BCreass may not like his/her property taxes in FL, for that he/she pays no income tax. It's a trade-off.

What are property taxes like in the U.K.? I believe I've heard that they don't really exist. Of course, the U.S. doesn't have the VAT (and sales tax rates are lower than every European VAT rate), and we have no telly tax.

All governments are going to get you somehow.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM

447 posts, read 1,772,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post

What are property taxes like in the U.K.? I believe I've heard that they don't really exist. Of course, the U.S. doesn't have the VAT (and sales tax rates are lower than every European VAT rate), and we have no telly tax.

All governments are going to get you somehow.
Property tax does exist in the UK- it's called council tax, and even renters pay it. We paid about 150 GBP per month on a flat that rented for 900 GBP per month.

Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 AM

9,896 posts, read 22,117,858 times
If the british govt could impose a breathing tax they surely would.

Old 05-23-2009, 07:30 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,593,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM1956 View Post
Property tax does exist in the UK- it's called council tax, and even renters pay it. We paid about 150 GBP per month on a flat that rented for 900 GBP per month.
That is significantly more than I pay in property tax on my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom