Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,084,559 times

Advertisements

With Shrove Tuesday tomorrow (5th Feb), only one in five Britons questioned in late January knew the day was looming and only 27% of households plan to make pancakes.

Flippin' heck - Pancake Day at risk of dying out, says poll | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 10:38 PM

18 posts, read 63,486 times
What is pancake day?

Old 02-05-2008, 02:31 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,241,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren main View Post
What is pancake day?
Technically it's a religious festival that happens before lent, but like so many others it's become secularised. Here's an explanation from Wikipedia:

The reason that pancakes are associated with the day preceding Lent is that the 40 days of Lent form a period of liturgical fasting, during which only the plainest foodstuffs may be eaten. Therefore, rich ingredients such as eggs, milk, and sugar are disposed of immediately prior to the commencement of the fast. Pancakes and doughnuts were therefore an efficient way of using up these perishable goods, besides providing a minor celebratory feast prior to the fast itself.

Of course these days if anyone gives anything up for lent it tends to be chocolate or beer or cigarettes, but there's still a tradition of pancakes.

I think the last time I had pancakes on Shrove Tuesday was when I was still at Uni, just for something to do as much as anything else! In fact that was probably the last time I had pancakes at all. In my experience the odd person at work will mention it and everyone else goes "oh is that today???"

Old 02-05-2008, 02:42 AM
jfc

10 posts, read 113,300 times
Well Pancake day is alive and Well in my household!

Daughter promptly reminded me this morning..."Mum its pancake day!, dont forget"

I am wondering about those premixed ones you just add water to and shake..has anyone tried them before?

Mind you my daughter knows about eating pancakes...not sure she knows the reasons for doing it though...she just enjoys her food

Last edited by jfc; 02-05-2008 at 02:42 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-05-2008, 03:16 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfc View Post
Well Pancake day is alive and Well in my household!

Daughter promptly reminded me this morning..."Mum its pancake day!, dont forget"

I am wondering about those premixed ones you just add water to and shake..has anyone tried them before?

Mind you my daughter knows about eating pancakes...not sure she knows the reasons for doing it though...she just enjoys her food
Well now I feel bad, maybe I should have them tonight. Never tried the pre-mixed ones I'm afraid, but those things are never quite as nice as making them from scratch are they? Welcome to the forum anyway and enjoy your pancakes!

Old 02-05-2008, 04:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,699,706 times
It's a perfect excuse to make pancakes ( they are like Crepes rather American pancakes) so we'll be flipping and tossing tonight ! Yummy with a hint of demerara sugar and a squeeze of lemon and even better with home made chocolate sauce and bananas !

Old 02-05-2008, 04:25 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
It's a perfect excuse to make pancakes ( they are like Crepes rather American pancakes) so we'll be flipping and tossing tonight ! Yummy with a hint of demerara sugar and a squeeze of lemon and even better with home made chocolate sauce and bananas !
Am I right in thinking that American pancakes are a bit like what we'd call Scotch pancakes? Quite thick?

Nice analogy - although British pancakes aren't as perfectly round as crepes you buy in France are they? (I specify "buy" because I don't know what happens in french homes - maybe you can tell me?)And they're fattier I think? They tend to end of a bit of a funny shape unless you're very good and possibly also get stuck to the ceiling

Old 02-05-2008, 08:03 AM

92 posts, read 207,231 times
i forgot it was pancake day. lol
but...my brother makes fantastic pancakes so he'll be making some tonight!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 AM
jfc

10 posts, read 113,300 times
Lemon and sugar too....mustnt forget those...I always seem to get a pip or 2 on my pancake

My daughter likes one with lemon and one with hot choclate sauce...not good for the waistline though

Thanks for the welcome RH1

xx

Old 02-07-2008, 01:22 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,699,706 times
I love Breton (French) Crepes, very thin and the savoury ones ( crepe de Ble Noir) are my favourites, served with ham, egg and emmental... and many , many other fillings.

Buckwheat Galette

Preparation time: 10 minutes. + 2 hours of resting time

8 ounces of buckwheat flour, Pinch of salt, 2 eggs, 1 pint of cold water, 1.5 ounces of melted butter.

Mix together the buckwheat flour, salt, eggs, cold water and the melted butter.

Let the batter rest for two hours.

Cook the galettes in a nonstick pan (for beginners) making the galettes as thin as possible. For purists: one should use a cast iron skillet... remember to grease the pan using a paper towel dipped in butter..

Don't give up if at first you don't succeed. As they say, "The first one is for the dog".

Crêpes

This is the BRETON recipe. You can have your crêpes savory (with eggs, ham, crème fraiche, cheese) or sweet (with apples, walnuts, chocolate, jam).

For 24 crêpes: 8 ounces of wheat flour, pinch of fine salt, a tablespoon of sugar, 3 eggs,1 pint of milk, 1 tablespoon of orange flower water (optional), 2 ounces of butter, oil.

In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flower, salt and sugar. Make a well in the flour, break the eggs into the well and pour in the milk. Stir gently with a wooden spoon until the mixture is smooth, and without lumps. Now stir in the orange flower water and the melted butter. Let the batter rest for 1 to 2 hours.

Grease your crêpe pan. Pour in a small ladle full of batter, and spread the batter quickly by turning the pan in all directions so that it spreads evenly. Let the crêpe cook for about 30 seconds on one side and then turn it over as soon as the edges begin to brown. Cook on the other side another 30 seconds or until you see little bubbles appear on the surface.

Serve the crêpes warm, plain or with sugar or jam. Serve with sweet cider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom