Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 08:52 PM

227 posts, read 720,644 times

Advertisements

Hubby and I will be visiting the Lake District in May. Would appreciate any information or advice on things to do/see in the area. Flying into Manchester, staying a week in Carnforth and hoping to stay a couple of days in Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 03:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,640,907 times
The Lake District is lovely but I would also recommend driving down to the Yorkshire Dales which are just gorgeous and about 1hr and half drive from the Southern Lakes. The Yorkshire dales are dotted with pretty little villages and the scenery is also delightful.

The Scottish Borders are nice too ,and slightly further afield NorthHumberland is beautiful with large medieval castles and wonderful barren scenery.

Cumbria and Lake District Tourist Board for Holidays in Cumbria
Things to do in the Lake District - Cumbria
lake-district.com - Lake District accommodation, attractions and business directory

The Scottish Borders Tourist Board

The official Yorkshire Dales web site for accommodation, news, events and tourist attractions throughout the Dales.
Welcome to the Yorkshire Dales National Park
Visitor information For the Yorkshire Dales

Northumberland | Visit Northumberland - The Official Visitor Website - Visit Northumberland
Northumberland National Park Home Page

Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 AM

17 posts, read 94,394 times
If you love walking then there are lots of splendid walks - from lakeside wanders, to steep fell (hill) walking. The views are lovely whichever you do, though be prepared with a waterproof because the weather can change rapidly.

Or how about renting a boat on one of the lakes?

A drive up to Scotland is well worth it I think, especially if you head north of Glasgow to Loch Lomand and beyond - the start of the highlands.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjs View Post
If you love walking then there are lots of splendid walks - from lakeside wanders, to steep fell (hill) walking. The views are lovely whichever you do, though be prepared with a waterproof because the weather can change rapidly.

Or how about renting a boat on one of the lakes?

A drive up to Scotland is well worth it I think, especially if you head north of Glasgow to Loch Lomand and beyond - the start of the highlands.

I agree but a week might be tight for heading to the Highlands as well. We used to live on Loch Lomond and getting anywhere used to take ages due to the gorgeous little windy roads and wanting to stop every 5 seconds to take photos !

Old 01-10-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree but a week might be tight for heading to the Highlands as well. We used to live on Loch Lomond and getting anywhere used to take ages due to the gorgeous little windy roads and wanting to stop every 5 seconds to take photos !

Thank you so much for the wonderful information. I want to do and see everything!!! Just wish there were more time. After looking at the beautiful photos, I told my husband that I'll need a new computer just to hold all of the photos that I plan to take while there.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcommander View Post
Thank you so much for the wonderful information. I want to do and see everything!!! Just wish there were more time. After looking at the beautiful photos, I told my husband that I'll need a new computer just to hold all of the photos that I plan to take while there.
If you want to PM at some point, I'll ask my partner for some specific recommendations ( he comes from the Yorkshire Dales and knows the Lake District fairly well). Might be a few days before a response as he has just handed in his notice at work so our lives are a bit upside-down at the moment.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
If you want to PM at some point, I'll ask my partner for some specific recommendations ( he comes from the Yorkshire Dales and knows the Lake District fairly well). Might be a few days before a response as he has just handed in his notice at work so our lives are a bit upside-down at the moment.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.
Thanks for the offer!!! We have just started to research and I'm sure we will have lots of questions! Will PM you once we have a better idea of what we are doing.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:59 PM

2,885 posts, read 1,987,780 times
My favorite places in the whole world are the Yorkshire Dales (North esp.) and the Lake District for a vacation. A must-see if you have the time, is Edinburgh in Scotland. and York, England.

Take a plane to Glasgow. Immediate catch a bus for Edinburgh - about 40 minutes away. Stay there for about 2-3 days. Try to get to the Highlands if you can, but if you cannot, take the train to York - spend time in the small towns in Yorkshire and then take the train to Windermere in the Lake District. Use Windermere as your base (the train ends there) and take a bus to all the surrounding towns - Ambleside, Hawkshead, walk to Bowness. My advice: Get James Herriot's book called "My Yorkshire" with beautiful photos - that is the book that led me to the towns I eventually got to see. Breathtakingly beautiful! Enjoy.

Oops I said train because I don't drive there. Of course, go by auto, if you choose.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Thanks, Lillietta! I'll have to get a copy of James Herriot's book. We are renting a car and driving - should be interesting on the opposite side of the road! But we also hope to take a day trip or two on the trains just for the experience.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:16 AM

I would also suggest the wonderful books by Gervase Phinn ( also available on audio cds) . He was a school inspector in the Yorkshire Dales for years and writes wonderfully about the area, and his love of kids is so evident. Extremely funny, well written and touching at the same time. A must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom