Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2013, 06:05 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,038,196 times

Advertisements

A work colleague from another company is travelling with her parents to the UK this summer to visit family in Lanark. The girls are in their early 20's and she didn't think it would be a lot of fun. I told her that back in my day Glasgow was a blast with some great nightlife, but after 20 years, I'm not up to date.

So, what recommendations could current residents offer of great places to recommend for young women that age? I thought they might like somewhere studenty as well as more upscale for comparison although uni might be out when they travel in the end of June.

Appreciate the assistance in looking like I still know what I'm talking about!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 08:31 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,967,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
A work colleague from another company is travelling with her parents to the UK this summer to visit family in Lanark. The girls are in their early 20's and she didn't think it would be a lot of fun. I told her that back in my day Glasgow was a blast with some great nightlife, but after 20 years, I'm not up to date.

So, what recommendations could current residents offer of great places to recommend for young women that age? I thought they might like somewhere studenty as well as more upscale for comparison although uni might be out when they travel in the end of June.

Tell them to head for Byres Rd. (Hillhead Subway stop) and take it from there. Tons of pubs and bars to choose from. Very vibrant and studenty.

Old 02-28-2013, 04:47 AM

554 posts, read 737,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post

What a small world! Are they literally going to the town of Lanark or do you mean Lanarkshire? (I thought I was the only person in the world to actually come from Lanark itself, barring the other 8000 lucky residents...)

Anyway in Glasgow obey Jaggy and send them to Byres Road in the West End. For a large pub to start the night off in you can't really go wrong with the Oran Mor, although it attracts all age groups rather than just studenty types. Round the corner from that is the Hillhead Book Club (not what it sounds like) which is a sort of studenty type bar mostly frequented by people of that age.

Where to go from there is a tough one, because there's a lot of choice and when making these sorts of recommendations one tends to recommend places that might appeal to ones own taste before somebody elses. (Never having been a early twenties female it's difficult for me to judge!) If I was to go by the logic that they want somewhere studenty and relatively mainstream, yet seems to be popular amongst that demographic then tell them to go to ABC on Sauchiehall Street. (Providing it's a Thursday/Friday night.) It's a live music venue, so normally they have a band on early which turns into a club night later on. (Thursday nights are Glasgow's main student night out.)

Trying to recommend a more 'up-scale' nightclub in Glasgow is a bit difficult, probably the closest thing would be Arta in the city centre. It's decorated in a sort of Renaissance style, but the clientele tend to be a bit older.

Eoin

Old 02-28-2013, 04:51 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,872,837 times
I have a blast every time I am in old Glesga (Glasgow) lol. Great live music scene. A top notch band or DJ will be playing somewhere most nights.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,038,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoin (pronounced Owen) View Post
What a small world! Are they literally going to the town of Lanark or do you mean Lanarkshire? (I thought I was the only person in the world to actually come from Lanark itself, barring the other 8000 lucky residents...)

She said her grandfather lived in Lanark. Of course she could be confused but I didn't get the feeling that she was. Funnily, her dad and I both went to Aberdeen Uni. Really is a small world.

Thanks for the recommendations. Is Buchanan St. still good for shopping?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 AM

18,571 posts, read 18,868,945 times
If you have cash, jump into Princes Square..if your older or like folksy music and poetry, the Scotia Bar or Clutha is for you.... not very posh but plenty of character...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom