Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:48 PM

8,950 posts, read 11,819,007 times

Advertisements

Scientists are getting better at finding planets that might be habitable. Here is what they call a promising candidate:

Space.com articles - Date - SETI Institute (broken link)

"Gliese 581 is, as astronomical distances go, relatively close: only 20 light-years away. It’s one of the few star systems which, if inhabited, might provoke conversation. A simple exchange, along the lines of “how are you?” followed by “fine, and you?” would require a mere four decades. Tedious, but not unthinkable."

The above passage is from the same article. I put it here to show how difficult it is just to make radio contact with an alien world. We can pretty much forget about traveling there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,907,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
The above passage is from the same article. I put it here to show how difficult it is just to make radio contact with an alien world. We can pretty much forget about traveling there.
Oh I don't know. Using technology from our understanding of physics, we certainly couldn't within reason, but if current quantum physics is correct, then there aren't just four dimensions, there are eleven and we have little idea what they all are or how to access them. We know that mass distorts time and if we can use energy to simulate enough mass, then perhaps time can be distorted to permit travel at faster-than-light speeds via those unknown, alternate dimensions where the speed of light may not be a limiting factor. It's warp drive, only for real.

We are still infants in the grand scheme of things and to think we're not still astonishingly ignorant of how the universe functions is hubris.

Old 07-06-2007, 11:15 PM

I was referring to existing technology. I don't think there are spacecrafts or machines that can fold space or create wormholes or anything like that yet. Here are some spacecraft speed records:

Aerospaceweb.org | Ask Us - Spacecraft Speed Records

Last edited by davidt1; 07-06-2007 at 11:47 PM..

Old 07-07-2007, 10:50 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,430,404 times
but there's always at least three more out there. the highly classified covert one that only flies at night, the even higher classified one that is in development and the one that's flying right now..
odd part is we don't know anything about all three of them. The SR-71 was retired in 1990, so something replaced it. That means there's still another one that nobody knows about and yet another that's being developed..

hmmmm

Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 AM

The Aurora is believed to be the current secret spy plane flown by the air force.

Mystery Aircraft - Aurora

Aurora Aircraft - TinWiki.org

This plane, while more advanced and faster than the SR-71, has only incremental improvements over its predecessor.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:28 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,430,404 times
yeah, they've passed that name around for a while and it could very well be true. I just find it odd that there isn't an official one like we had with the SR-71.. even though that was well hidden for quite a while and amazing that we were that advanced in the late 50's/early 60's..
That's why I'd love to know what the current under development project is. I'm guessing it's something that can't be seen and that's probably why we haven't seen it

Old 07-07-2007, 06:20 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,285,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
The coffins weren't to bury the bodies, they were to transport them. The military didn't have body containers of the appropriate size so they used the coffins.
I just can't believe that the military wouldn't have anything suitable to transport them. Even standard body bags would work fine, and would be a much better alternative to calling a local undertaker and asking for some coffins to transport extra terrestrials. No, I am afraid that story doesn't pass the smell test.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,311 times
Why do people assume advanced equals infallible? Thats like people from 1900 looking at our technology and saying "Wow!! Surely those aeroplane things don't crash do they!?"

Old 11-02-2008, 10:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,143,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkie2 View Post
If the guy was just making up the story why wouldn't he have told it while he was alive so he could enjoy the attention? What satisfaction would he get from having the story released after he died? People who make up wild stories do so for attention, don't you think?
I have known serious, experienced law enforcement professionals who have told me that "enjoying the attentilon" would not be good for their career. As a result, they are very careful to avoid saying what they really think when they investigate these kinds of incidents.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:01 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,152,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Sixty years ago, a light aircraft was flying over the Cascade Mountains in Washington state, at a height of around 10,000 feet.

FOXNews.com - Dead Airman's Affidavit: Roswell Aliens Were Real - Science News | Current Articles (http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,287643,00.html - broken link)
I don't believe a PR person would have been included in the meeting where pieces of the aircraft are being passed around and the higher-ups are trying to figure out what it is. A PR person doesn't have a place in a meeting of that sort. I also don't think the military ordered any coffins for the "aliens". What did they do, bury the aliens? Never. Refridgerate or put in formaldehyde- that I might believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal