Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 01:08 AM

24 posts, read 63,780 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately I am still unable to find a job in Ohio. My benefit ending year is Feb. 12, 2010. Currently, I have exhausted my initial 26 weeks of unemployment benefits and 20 weeks of Tier I extended benefits. In this coming week, January 16, 2010, I will begin my initial 13 weeks of Tier II extended benefits. What determines if I am eligible for another benefit year of unemployment benefits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:29 AM

2,949 posts, read 5,503,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus2sho View Post
Unfortunately I am still unable to find a job in Ohio. My benefit ending year is Feb. 12, 2010. Currently, I have exhausted my initial 26 weeks of unemployment benefits and 20 weeks of Tier I extended benefits. In this coming week, January 16, 2010, I will begin my initial 13 weeks of Tier II extended benefits. What determines if I am eligible for another benefit year of unemployment benefits?
Not sure about Ohio. But in Maryland you had to have been employed at some point the previous year and made at least 10X your weekly UE benefit. I`ve just exhausted my full year of benefits. I have to file a new claim this week. It will be denied as I have not found employment this past year. But I should be able to continue on with the latest extension that congress just passed a couple of months ago. I`m not sure but I think I will have the additional 14 weeks. Unless unemployment continues at its current high level then congress may act again.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jus2sho View Post
All you do when your BYE is speak to an agent to re-open your claim. If you have not worked at all since you filed for UI, you would continue with Tier II which was increased to 14 weeks with legislation passed in November. Since you will begin Tier II prior to the current February expiration dates, you will be able to finish the tier.

If you have earnings since your original date of claim, they use that to determine whether you start a new claim, or continue on the original date of claim with EUC extensions & EB.

I called to re-open at the 1-year mark but I did not have to do anything at the 2-year mark and am currently on Tier III.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:51 AM

24 posts, read 63,780 times
Thanks for the replies! How are you at the 2-year mark and on Tier III? Did you work a little bit within the benefit year?

Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,486,839 times
No work since date of claim.

There were gaps due to the fact that Tier I was originally 13 weeks, I had no UI for 7 weeks but then they added 7 more weeks to it.

After exhausting EB, I had no UI for 10 weeks but then they added the 14th week of Tier II plus 13 weeks of Tier III.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:20 PM

129 posts, read 533,625 times
In Pennsylvania, to get another round of state unemployment, you have to have worked between the old claim and the new claim. Also, your income has to be 6 times your weekly benefit amount. As I get closer to my Benefit Year anniversary, it looks like I'll be on the federal EUC. I just started Tier 2 EUC two weeks ago.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:08 PM

1 posts, read 4,453 times
I live in Georgia. I've been on unemployment since August 2010. I've exhausted my 26 weeks and I'm now on my 1st tier of 20 weeks. I've just been called by the Census Bureau for training and then temporary work as an enumerator for 4-5 weeks. My question is how will this affect my current unemployment? ? Should I close my current claim and re-open after I finish this work? I'm trying to figure out what's' the best financial scenario!! Need help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment