Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 AM

4 posts, read 26,532 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a NC resident and I have been unemployed since November 2nd of 2009, but I did not start receiving any benefits until May of 2010. I received a letter in the mail (mailed 2/20/2011) stating that I am monetarily eligible for Second Tier EUC benefits and it goes on to show the amount and for how long. When I went online to file my weekly certification I was told that my benefit year had ended. I know everyone out there has it tough right now and as for myself I am at a critical point. I really cannot afford any delays or stoppage of my benefits because I'm about to get evicted. Can anyone please tell me what this all means and what I should do. I am only asking before I do anything because I am so unfamiliar with this process and I don't want to do anything wrong. Thank you for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2011, 11:16 AM

330 posts, read 1,456,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnifan View Post
Hello,
I am a NC resident and I have been unemployed since November 2nd of 2009, but I did not start receiving any benefits until May of 2010. I received a letter in the mail (mailed 2/20/2011) stating that I am monetarily eligible for Second Tier EUC benefits and it goes on to show the amount and for how long. When I went online to file my weekly certification I was told that my benefit year had ended. I know everyone out there has it tough right now and as for myself I am at a critical point. I really cannot afford any delays or stoppage of my benefits because I'm about to get evicted. Can anyone please tell me what this all means and what I should do. I am only asking before I do anything because I am so unfamiliar with this process and I don't want to do anything wrong. Thank you for any help.
When did you originally file for UI benefits?

Old 03-10-2011, 03:35 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Hello,
I am a NC resident and I have been unemployed since November 2nd of 2009, but I did not start receiving any benefits until May of 2010. I received a letter in the mail (mailed 2/20/2011) stating that I am monetarily eligible for Second Tier EUC benefits and it goes on to show the amount and for how long. When I went online to file my weekly certification I was told that my benefit year had ended.

Can anyone please tell me what this all means and what I should do.
If NC is telling you your benefit year has ended, you need to contact them immediately to recertify your claim. You probably cannot do this online. NC will evaluate any wages earned during your benefit year. If they are insufficient to establish a new claim, you will be told you do no qualify for a new claim. NC will then reopen your old claim and you will continue to be paid what remains of those benefits.

In WI, benefits continue without a delay. NC may be different. You need to contact them immediately.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 PM

I called them and I sat on the phone with them and went through filing a new claim. I was let go from my long time employer on November 2nd 2009. I didn't file a claim for UE benefits until May 2010. When I started getting UE benefits they back paid me through May 2010. I thought I found a job in October. I worked for exactly one month. From October 20-something to November 20-something. Once the training went through and I didn't make the cut, I continued with the same benefits I was already receiving. I say all that to say this... I've received UE Benefits for 10 months. Since I worked for 1 month they started a new claim for me. Today I received 5 pieces of mail from the Employment Security Commission. 1 was just an automatic deposit form but here are the other 4.
1. You are monetarily eligible for Second Tier EUC benefits as follows... $xxxx.xx so far so good...
2. You are not monetarily eligible to receive Emergency Unemployment Compensation EUC due to insufficient base period wages.
3. Shows 4th Quarter of 2009 with my long-term employer. Shows weekly benefit amount 00.00 and weeks 0.00 everything is 00.00
4. Shows 4th Quarter of 2010 (where I did the 1 month at the potential new employer) Shows weekly benefit amount at 00.00 and weeks at 0.00... Again everything is 0.00. YOU HAD INSUFFICIENT WAGES
Can somebody tell me what this all means?

Old 03-11-2011, 02:11 PM

189 posts, read 966,910 times
I am hoping that it means that you can continue on with your current extension, Magnifan, because you are ineligible for a new claim. Your 1 month of working during your claim year was not sufficient for making a new claim.

Today, I had a question about something else and the lady on the phone let me file my new claim today! So, that's all taken care of.

She said there's a whole bunch of new people working there now and they don't always look at the claim or the notes, etc. And, she said it's irrelevant whether or not I file a new claim now or next week because I'm on an extension.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 AM

Can anyone help me with this?

Old 03-13-2011, 12:16 PM

330 posts, read 1,456,980 times
Quote:
I called them and I sat on the phone with them and went through filing a new claim. I was let go from my long time employer on November 2nd 2009. I didn't file a claim for UE benefits until May 2010. When I started getting UE benefits they back paid me through May 2010. I thought I found a job in October. I worked for exactly one month. From October 20-something to November 20-something. Once the training went through and I didn't make the cut, I continued with the same benefits I was already receiving. I say all that to say this... I've received UE Benefits for 10 months. Since I worked for 1 month they started a new claim for me. Today I received 5 pieces of mail from the Employment Security Commission. 1 was just an automatic deposit form but here are the other 4.
1. You are monetarily eligible for Second Tier EUC benefits as follows... $xxxx.xx so far so good...
2. You are not monetarily eligible to receive Emergency Unemployment Compensation EUC due to insufficient base period wages.
3. Shows 4th Quarter of 2009 with my long-term employer. Shows weekly benefit amount 00.00 and weeks 0.00 everything is 00.00
4. Shows 4th Quarter of 2010 (where I did the 1 month at the potential new employer) Shows weekly benefit amount at 00.00 and weeks at 0.00... Again everything is 0.00. YOU HAD INSUFFICIENT WAGES
Can somebody tell me what this all means?
Quote:
Since I worked for 1 month they started a new claim for me
If you had insufficient wages, why did start you on a new claim? That doesn't make sense to me.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:17 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
magnifan, communication you received sounds like a standard denial of NEW claim benefits, in which case you should be able to continue on your first claim since you had insufficient wages for a new claim. Letters from the unemployment offices are often confusing, make conflicting statements and are incomplete in the information they give you.

What state are you in? You need to call until you reach someone who can get your benefits rolling again.

Old 03-13-2011, 03:52 PM

3,814 posts, read 11,977,338 times
Quote:
Since I worked for 1 month they started a new claim for me.
It doesn't seem that they opened a new claim for you -- they simply reopened your original claim. Whether or not you worked the additional month, your original claim would have been suspended (along with payment of benefits) until you re-certified, which you did when you spoke with an agent. The materials you have received seem confusing -- but Ariadne22 is correct. You simply need to speak to someone at the UI office to confirm that you will be receiving payments again shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
magnifan, communication you received sounds like a standard denial of NEW claim benefits, in which case you should be able to continue on your first claim since you had insufficient wages for a new claim. Letters from the unemployment offices are often confusing, make conflicting statements and are incomplete in the information they give you.

What state are you in? You need to call until you reach someone who can get your benefits rolling again.

Old 03-14-2011, 05:59 AM

I am in North Carolina. I'm so frustrated with all this stuff. I will try to phone someone today. They weren't very nice last time I called but that may just be the nature of the beast with all the work I'm sure they have to do. I'm thinking this was just answered but just to be clear, since I was just approved for Tier 2 and was mailed the details just before my benefit year ended and when I called to have my benefit year renewed(?) at which time the almost 1 month of employment I took a shot at was put in as my last employer and I've been denied a claim through them.... .... I need to somehow put some light on it so someone can see that things need to go back to the previous employer and my benefits need to continue? Do I have that right?

Thanks alot again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment