Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,651 times

Advertisements

I filed for unemployment in April 2009 after leaving my previous employer March 31, 2009. I have been receiving benefits. I have not worked any temp jobs or and have been looking for a job, but until I find something that pays more than my unemployment then I am not gonna give it up. My BYE is supposed to be over in March 2010 and I was reading about a re-earnings requirement in TN. Is this for people who were drawing unemployment and worked temp jobs? If I understand correctly, when my BYE ends if I need to file another claim that they will take the base period from October 2008 to September 2009. Which will be about half earnings from my previous employer and half from unemployment. Can anyone shed some light on this. I know there are several extensions available and I have only received 22 weeks + 13 weeks so far.

Here is some info from the TN unemployment site.

17. RE-EARNINGS REQUIREMENT
There is a re-earnings requirement to be eligible for a new claim after you have exhausted benefits on a current
claim or your benefit year (52 weeks) has ended. This means you must have worked and earned five times your
weekly benefit amount in covered employment since you filed your last initial claim to be monetarily eligible for
a new claim.
Example A: Claimant files a claim on Company A. There is no subsequent work. BYE expires. Claimant contacts
the UI Claims Center to file a new claim; however, claimant shall not be eligible for benefits on the new claim until
he/she meets re-earnings requirement.
Example B: Claimant files a claim on Company A and exhausts his/her benefits. Once his BYE expires, he/she
contacts the UI Claims Center since his/her temporary job with Company B has ended in layoff. Claimant is
eligible on subsequent claim because he/she was laid off and worked and earned 5 x $275 (last year’s weekly
benefit amount).
If you are disqualified from receiving benefits due to a separation issue or for refusing referral to or an offer of
suitable employment you will be required to earn ten times your weekly benefit amount in covered employment
since the disqualification was imposed.
Example C: A disqualification decision is issued on a claim with a WBA of $275. 10 x $275 = $2,750 and must be
earned prior to an additional claim or a new initial claim with a different BYE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 09:02 AM

1,828 posts, read 4,658,724 times
Most states require you to refile after a year, If you have done no work in that time they will deny that claim and you will continue on the old claim. it seems like after reading through threads here its standard practice for the most part. That's what happened for me and for most that have not worked.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,321 times
What do you do if your BYE isn't over but all your benefits have been exhausted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment