Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 12:49 PM

3,814 posts, read 12,010,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekameka View Post
Can unemployment take your EUC if you already are reciving it?
If you violate the terms of unemployment, they can stop your benefits. Specifically, if you do work and don't report the earnings, if you do not actively look for work, or if you refuse work that is offered you -- then you are not entitled to unemployment benefits.

If addition, they can have you repay any benefits your accepted during the period you are proven to have violated these policies.

See your state DOL website for the requirements for continuing UI -- the same requirements are applicable for the EUC Tiers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 11:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,565 times
My benefit year just ended Dec 7 2011 I filed a new claim and it was rejected I still had a balance of 2385 on the EU08. I hope that by calling I can correct this because they said they needed my check stubs and I have only been drawing unemployment for a year I live in Alabama so I am not sure of the diffrences in the way they handle claims.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:40 AM

25,633 posts, read 56,830,036 times
At your benefit year end, you should contact Alabama directly to RECERTIFY your original claim. If you have no earnings during the past benefit year, your 'application for a new claim' is denied, and you resume benefits on your old claim. This is normal procedure. An earnings test for a new claim must be done before old claim benefits resume.

When in doubt, NEVER do anything online - especially filing a 'new claim' at a bye. If you haven't worked, you have no new earnings and no pay stubs, thus no new claim. Your old claim Tier 2 should resume. Talk to an agent ASAP.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 12-11-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 12-25-2011, 10:04 PM

Default Thank you!

You were absolutely right. Thank you very much for the info.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 1,804 times
anyone know anything about Louisiana unemployment benefits??

Old 01-22-2012, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
I'm in new york and my benefit year just ended, today. I was under the impression however that since I received a letter in the mail stating that I was extended for 14 more weeks I would be fine. I haven't been able to find anything so I have no other work experience, I was let go Jan 2011 when I was supposed to return from maternity leave. It says to call to verify my extended benefits but online it says to file a new claim. If I call what are my chances of having it renewed. Any little bit helps, and I use the unemployment to help pay for my daughter's sitter while I go look for work!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer213 View Post
I'm in new york and my benefit year just ended, today. I was under the impression however that since I received a letter in the mail stating that I was extended for 14 more weeks I would be fine. ..... It says to call to verify my extended benefits but online it says to file a new claim. If I call what are my chances of having it renewed.
Chances don't enter into it. Call NY and recertify your claim. Do this ASAP. You could apply for a new claim online, but I don't recommend doing that when you've reached the bye of an existing claim. It is best to talk with a rep. You don't have anything to worry about.

See FAQs #8: https://www.city-data.com/forum/unemp...ment-faqs.html

Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 PM

When my year ended I was sent a letter stating that I had to file a new claim so I did. Then recieved paper work sataing they needed my check stubs and income info of course I had only been on unemployment so I called and the lady told me that I had to file but I would be denied for a new claim because I had no work income but that I would continue to recieve my extended benifits until they ended.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
Default Benefit year ended in ny, was told to file new claim

My benefit year has ended yesterday, 3/17/2013. I received a total of 54 weeks, and was at the end of tier 2. I thought I had an additional 9 weeks to claim, but when I went to claim my weekly benefits yesterday it said I had to file a new claim. (I thought I would be receiving Extended benefits?) I filed the new claim online and then had to call and complete it with speaking to someone. She had told me to continue to claim my weekly benefits online, so Im assuming I was approved for another benefit year?. My previous job, which I was let go on 3/9/2012, was in sales. Will this new claim be the same weekly rate considering I have not worked in the past year?

Old 03-18-2013, 02:27 PM

Yes. Payment amount does not change. Essentially, you have recertified your original claim. Since you haven't worked, and assuming you have claimed every week since you were laid off, you have already begun extended benefits during your first benefit year. NY will continue paying your federal extension benefits until they are exhausted - at the same weekly benefit rate. You probably have remaining a few weeks on Tier 2 and another 9 weeks on Tier 3. NY, at present, is not paying Tier 4.

See FAQS:
Quote:
8. I've been collecting for a year and am on Tier 2. My claim expires next week. What happens now?

Some states automatically perform the recertification process as long as you continue to file weekly or biweekly claims. In most states, you will need to telephone your state to RECERTIFY your claim. Your state will do a monetary reevaluation for a new claim. If you have not had eligible earnings during your past benefit year, your "application for a new claim" will be denied, your old claim reopened and you continue to receive federal benefits on that claim. You may receive confusing correspondence at this time, especially in Illinois. Be sure to telephone your state if this happens - and keep claiming if the system allows.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/22370378-post2.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment