Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 51,908 times

Advertisements

I was laid off very recently from my full-time job in Texas. Throughout my full-time employment, I maintained a part-time job. The part-time job for the next two weeks (due to other employees being out on medical leave, etc.) has need for me to work full-time hours. After that, my hours will be reduced to less than 30. I do not plan on leaving the part-time job any time soon but the hours there will be less than 30 hours for possibly a substantial amount of time after the next two weeks. I have not received any unemployment benefits yet(I was laid off last week). Should I accept the extra hours or would this screw up my ability to collect partial unemployment?

I have not been able to get a response from the Texas Workforce Commission regarding my question so far. I need to let my part-time employer know whether I can accept the temporary additional hours soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times
Yes, you can file for U.C. ONCE you have reduced hours....you need to do this immediately... as soon as your full-time job ends! File weekly your u.c. claim.

And yes, the u.c. people will be CONFUSED if you work full-time at your part-time job....

the less confusion the better.... better to hold off on those full -time hours until you get your DETERMINATION,, then you can work full-time at your part -time job...and any amount OVER our PBC will be deducted from your u.c. check.

good luck!
imo

Old 03-17-2009, 05:11 PM

3 posts, read 51,908 times
I was finally contacted by the Texas Work Force Commission. I was told that I could work full-time hours at my part-time job without being disqualified for unemployment benefits. I will just be required to declare the hours / wages that I earned weekly.

FYI, there are no local centers that you can goto regarding unemployment benefits anymore. It's all handled via telephone and the internet now. The actual Texas Work Force centers are exclusively for locating a job and related work-shops. There aren't any people there to actually deal with unemployment benefits. I'm not too keen on this set-up as they require you to provide a social security # over the phone which is a huge identity theft no-no.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob401 View Post
I was finally contacted by the Texas Work Force Commission. I was told that I could work full-time hours at my part-time job without being disqualified for unemployment benefits. I will just be required to declare the hours / wages that I earned weekly.

FYI, there are no local centers that you can goto regarding unemployment benefits anymore. It's all handled via telephone and the internet now. The actual Texas Work Force centers are exclusively for locating a job and related work-shops. There aren't any people there to actually deal with unemployment benefits. I'm not too keen on this set-up as they require you to provide a social security # over the phone which is a huge identity theft no-no.

Yes, Yes,,, I said that as well...

I only cautioned you about doing it before you got your determination!

Why would they give you unemployment if you have made up the shortfall with your part-time job.

So you have a decision - you can file for u.c. at the end of your primary full-timejob, wait a month for the determination, and meanwhile work your part-time job, then add the extra hours, and declare them each week you file.

or

you can end your full time job, start your full-time hours at the part-time job, and then when that ends, file for u.C.

either way it is a win/win situation...

but being a paralegal...i know that pitfalls lurk in a seeming innocous situation like yours...full-time employer fights your claim...he says you have other job...part-time employer changes his/her mind and you have no money while you wait for U.C. to make its decision and if "EITHER" employer appeals or fights your claim, you will WAIT two months without money...

good luck either way!!

p.s. one more thing... believe or not....employers hate having unemployment marks against them...it raises their rates...

Old 03-17-2009, 05:21 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Tell me about it, everything is on the internet. But, once its done, you get a debit card, and then a quick 5 minute check up every other week. Yes, file your UE claim from your previous employer, act as if, youve taken a part time job recently, claim that earnings, sometime you won't get anything from UE, Make sure tho, that you correctly put which week you make what. If you work 48 hours one week, and 5 the next, don't average them out, and say, 26 and 26, or 500 dollars each week. You can get benefits for one week, and not the next, even tho you get paid for two weeks at a time. Also, keep your job search active, even tho you are working, 5 per week, no matter what, even if its internal where you are. State you dropped your resume off in another department with Joe blow, get their business card. Always claim 5, every week.

Once again, file your claim, keep the part-time job. The Full time employer, cant deny the claim. He has no right to deny it, it is none of their concern whether you are working part time or not. Say the full time job was paying you $25 per hour, the part time pays $20, your benefits will last longer, because instead of getting $394 per week, you get, $300, plus whatever you claim as earnings. They deduct the earnings from the claim. Just let TWC know this is part time work, and that you don't see it as being permanent. Keep the claim open.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:41 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,796 times
I don't know how you can collect unemployment and still work full time. If you're working full time, you can't collect. I would have kept it simple, file for unemployment and continue working P/T, you're UI rate goes up and they deduct your earnings. If the FT job is worth it, of course go with that.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
i don't know how you can collect unemployment and still work full time. If you're working full time, you can't collect. I would have kept it simple, file for unemployment and continue working p/t, you're ui rate goes up and they deduct your earnings. If the ft job is worth it, of course go with that.

exactly!!

Old 03-17-2009, 05:58 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Because the part-time job is only giving him full time hours temporarily. Its not a permanent thing.

Quote:
The part-time job for the next two weeks (due to other employees being out on medical leave, etc.) has need for me to work full-time hours. After that, my hours will be reduced to less than 30. I do not plan on leaving the part-time job any time soon but the hours there will be less than 30 hours for possibly a substantial amount of time after the next two weeks.
To get his claim started he can claim now, and actually speed the process for the initial waiting time up. As he stated, his P/t job isn't full time.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Because the part-time job is only giving him full time hours temporarily. Its not a permanent thing.

To get his claim started he can claim now, and actually speed the process for the initial waiting time up. As he stated, his P/t job isn't full time.

Yes, but having read many unemployment law suits,,,, you dont' want to confuse them!

In their eyes, if his part-time job becomes full-time and he applies, they will reject it. If he waits until the parttime now full-time job goes back to under 30, the U.C. people may consider this job his primary job and mark the u.c. claim against the 2nd employer...The 2nd employer WiLL not be happy about this and wil fight it...more likely than not. U.C. may consider the 30 hours his standard hours and not award him the lost 10 hours.

It is better to keep life simple when dealing with situations like this...but either way, it may work out...it really depends on whether either employer fights his claim.

Old 03-17-2009, 08:48 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,950,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Yes, but having read many unemployment law suits,,,, you dont' want to confuse them!

In their eyes, if his part-time job becomes full-time and he applies, they will reject it. If he waits until the parttime now full-time job goes back to under 30, the U.C. people may consider this job his primary job and mark the u.c. claim against the 2nd employer...The 2nd employer WiLL not be happy about this and wil fight it...more likely than not. U.C. may consider the 30 hours his standard hours and not award him the lost 10 hours.

It is better to keep life simple when dealing with situations like this...but either way, it may work out...it really depends on whether either employer fights his claim.

Very True. The more complicated things are for UI, the longer they take, if you get it. It seems you have explanations for what you are doing, that does not fly with straight out questions you have to answer when filing.

I wouldn't fill in full time at your PT job, file your claim and continue working PT. You're doing your PT employer a favor and screwing up your UI. Employers care about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment