Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 08:01 PM

268 posts, read 212,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaceyellis View Post
You are very welcome!
Dont dispair.. Im pretty sure you can still appeal

Im really suprised the judge overruled your objection. Unless your ex employer had sent it certified, or receipt requested so she could prove she sent the paperwork.. its invalid.

In the case that you are overruled (again, if you appeal) then for any question that is asked of you about anything referring to the paperwork you dont have, you reply "I cant speak to anything referring to the paperwork, as I dont have it, so cannot confirm if it is correct or not".

Basically, negate and cut off anything she says that refers to the paperwork, because you dont have it, so dont know what it says, and cant speak to anything on it.

I dont know if that makes sense or not. Hopefully

Remember the UI is NOT your friend... you cant (and dont) confide in them.. their job is to ONLY find a reason to deny you benefits... so they will use everything against you, that you say, to try and do that.

There are a couple of really excellent posters who are good resources on here, so if/when you appeal.. come back on and reach out (in this same thread so everything is in one spot... just change the title in the new post saying something like 'need more help with this') and check what to do

Kind Regards
Kacey

Hi kacey, in this case, UI/edd actually determined in FAVOR of granting the OP CTB (which is California Training Benefits). So, UI/edd was "for" her & supported this claimant's CTB application & approved her for training benefits.

By law, the employer has the right to contest that approval because she was approved a certain way (self-arranged) & as you & I both said, the employer has the burden of proof since, essentially, the OP already proved her case to get CTB in the first place.

Nancy--IF the ALJ reverses your determination/CTB approval---you can request a recording of the hearing & review it to write your appeal. 2nd level appeals are not about questions of fact, but procedure. For instance, you said you objected to new evidence that you had not been given the opportunity to review. If the ALJ is on the recording denying you that right, THAT is something you can include in your appeal. Look for more things like that. It is NOT a 2nd opportunity to argue your case.

One last thing Nancy--if the ALJ reverses the determination, they are basically saying the EDD was wrong in approving you which would seem odd to me (as I said earlier, it's NOT EASY to get self-arranged approval).

Look forward to hearing what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2020, 09:00 AM

957 posts, read 546,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milezsmilez View Post
Hi kacey, in this case, UI/edd actually determined in FAVOR of granting the OP CTB (which is California Training Benefits). So, UI/edd was "for" her & supported this claimant's CTB application & approved her for training benefits.

By law, the employer has the right to contest that approval because she was approved a certain way (self-arranged) & as you & I both said, the employer has the burden of proof since, essentially, the OP already proved her case to get CTB in the first place.

Nancy--IF the ALJ reverses your determination/CTB approval---you can request a recording of the hearing & review it to write your appeal. 2nd level appeals are not about questions of fact, but procedure. For instance, you said you objected to new evidence that you had not been given the opportunity to review. If the ALJ is on the recording denying you that right, THAT is something you can include in your appeal. Look for more things like that. It is NOT a 2nd opportunity to argue your case.

One last thing Nancy--if the ALJ reverses the determination, they are basically saying the EDD was wrong in approving you which would seem odd to me (as I said earlier, it's NOT EASY to get self-arranged approval).

Look forward to hearing what happens.
Milezsmilez
Ahhhh... Ive now learned something Thank you!!

Nancy... good luck!! I will be thinking good thoughts for you
Kacey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment