Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 06:01 PM

8 posts, read 10,550 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have been successfully enrolled in the WIOA program and determined eligible for the California Training Benefits (CTB). I was enrolled in 2 courses in order to meet the minimum requirements of 20 hours a week for CTBE. Unfortunately, I had to drop 1 of the classes as it proved to require a decent amount of accounting knowledge (I was actually told today by the program manager that the other course I am currently taking is actually a pre-requisite). I tried to enroll/add other classes, but all courses are full.

This puts me at a disadvantage as I will not meet the 20 hours/week to receive the CTBE.

Would anyone know if I can go to another WIOA approved provider and take up additional courses (such us Excel, Quickbooks, Microsoft Suite, etc.) in order to meet my unit requirements for the semester?

Or am I required to shift my entire course to another provider?

If not, what other options do I have?

Any help/input is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by Warriors925; 10-10-2018 at 06:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 09:27 AM

268 posts, read 205,620 times
Did you gain approval thru a counselor at a career center or on your own? If thru a counselor, have you discussed with them yet? Are you certain you're subject to the 20-hour/week requirement?

Also, what is the name of your program and training provider?

Old 10-11-2018, 01:03 PM

I had to drop the class on a Saturday as there was a deadline to drop classes. So, I did it on my own. I did immediately notify my professor, program manager/counselor and WIOA representative via email.

As per EDD's requirements, I am certain that there's a 20 hour/week requirement.

Certificate in Accounting, UC Davis Extension.

Would you happen to know the answers to my questions on my original post?

Old 10-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Does the program go by any other names like "Business Analysis Certificate" or "Business Analysis"? I did a quick check of the ETPL list and don't see an "Accounting" certificate at UCDavis on the list. If it was on the ETPL list, it wouldn't be a problem having less than 20 hours.

Do you have your CTB approval letter from EDD? Does it say you were approved under 1269 or 1269.1? If under 1269, it may not be a requirement--but, please check that.

Also, are you on your regular UI claim (first 26 weeks) or on the training extension?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:28 PM

The program is actually approved thru the WIOA program and it's under UC Davis EXTENSION, "Accounting Essentials Certificate Program".

I do have the letter and it states that it "meets the eligibility requirements set forth in section 1269(A) of the CUIC". Does this mean that I do NOT have to meet the 20 hour minimum?

I had 1 week left in my regular UI claim when the program started (during the first week of class), so I would fall under the training extension.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:38 PM

Ok, I checked again and the training provider is listed as "UC Davis Continuing and Professional Education" - SO, that's why I didn't see it before. So, your program IS on the ETPL list and, therefore, it is definitely not required to have a minimum of 20 hours of classes to be CTB eligible. Yesterday, I was surprised not to find your course since WIOA-funded programs are typically on the ETPL list, but now I see why and, net, you should be fine as long as you're enrolled in at least one class that's in the program toward earning the certificate.

As for WIOA funding, I have no idea if their requirements are different for class hour requirements, your counselor should be able to fill you in on that. Regardless, you should remain CTB eligible and TE eligible while you take this class and pursue your certificate.

Hope this helps, please come back if you hear any differently.

Old 10-12-2018, 04:38 PM

Oh gosh! This is VERY helpful! I sure hope that you are right! My counselor is back next week and I'll get a confirmation from her. I'll post an update as soon as I know for sure.

Thank you so, so, much. Having this information helps ease all our worries. Have a wonderful weekend!

Old 10-12-2018, 05:52 PM

@ Milezsmilez

Can you provide any reference material that I can review in connection to not having the 20 hours/week requirement? I'd like to have this information handy when I meet with my counselor and review it myself.

One more clarification, when you say I am "NOT required to have a minimum of 20 hours of classes to be CTB eligible", do you mean that I can continue to receive UI benefits even?

I hope my questions are making sense.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:20 AM

Sure, you can reference the CTB fact sheet here: https://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8714u.pdf

You'll see that only "self-arranged training" notes a requirement of "full-time" school attendance. You are not "self-arranged" you are in the other group ("Government Organized Training Programs").

For more detail, look at the section of the UI Benefits Determinations Guide (UIBDG) that covers CTB. This is what EDD references for CTB: https://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Miscellaneous_MI_85.htm

Specifically, look at section 1269 a-e which applies to you. Only 1269.1-self arranged training (not you) has the 20-hour requirement.

Finally, yes, since you are approved under 1269, as long as you are enrolled in training for the certificate you were approved for, you should be able to continue to collect your benefits until your TE balance runs out (even if your training is not complete). If you change the type of training (like change to marketing or chemistry) or stop all training, the TE benefits will cease. I have personally been in your situation and it was not a problem because I was approved under 1269.

Look forward to hearing how your meeting goes.

Last edited by Milezsmilez; 10-13-2018 at 11:31 AM..

Old 10-13-2018, 12:32 PM

That's actually what I was reading yesterday and that's what I also understood. This is REALLY helpful information to bring when I meet with my counselor.

Are there other questions/concerns that would be helpful to bring up to my counselor based on your experience?

I will definitely keep you posted! Thank you so much and have a great weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment