Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 10:14 AM

8 posts, read 4,576 times

Advertisements

So I got laid off last weekend of Aug. '15 and started receiving benefits mid Sept. I started a contract job mid October and obviously stopped getting benefits. Then beginning of March I did not get hired on so I tried reopening my claim. Since I didn't claim any benefits for that period of working my claim was closed and I could not reopen it and Cali said I had to file a new application. So I filled another application out. Since I was working a contract job and wasn't "technically" a hired on employee they opened my claim and I was able to receive benefits again. I'm not sure if they gave me a new claim or just reopened my first claim.

My question is since I worked from mid Oct. to Feb. and got benefits again after that, did my 26 weeks of benefits restart? Or would Cali just open my claim back up and keep the 26 week period going?

Also does anyone know of a good number to call to actually talk to someone? It seems impossible.

Last question: If I have very few weeks left, would I be able to get a month extension so I can go to school to get my real estate license?

Thank You
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 11:21 AM

14,500 posts, read 31,256,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsg View Post
So I got laid off last weekend of Aug. '15 and started receiving benefits mid Sept.
When you started to receive benefits doesn't matter. It's the effective date of the claim and the weeks that were paid that's relevant.

I applied in Dec, 2010, and didn't receive my first payment until Dec, 2011, but I got paid for the whole prior year so anyone trying to figure out where you are in the process is just going to be mislead by your characterization of what happened.

Quote:
I'm not sure if they gave me a new claim or just reopened my first claim.
You need to figure it out based on paperwork, any remaining balance that's shown, and the use of BYE (benefit year end). By all rights, they were supposed to reopen the claim. You'd collected any where from 1 to 2 months of your 26 weeks, and with a reopening, you'd have collected about 3 more months and are out or almost out of money.

Quote:
My question is since I worked from mid Oct. to Feb. and got benefits again after that, did my 26 weeks of benefits restart? Or would Cali just open my claim back up and keep the 26 week period going?
EDD should have reopened but mistakes happen, but not usually for this type of reason. If EDD did start a new claim, you need to get it fixed.

Quote:
Last question: If I have very few weeks left, would I be able to get a month extension so I can go to school to get my real estate license?
There are NO extensions. As to "schooling," the time to do that was before your 16th week of UI. I think you're past it, but you can go ahead and try because "mistakes do happen" and lucky you if it does or maybe your intervening employment will confuse the heck out of a UI worker in deciding when the 16 weeks starts and stops.

If you are still out of work, you should most likely be eligible for a new claim come August, 2016, based on when you actually applied. You want to apply 3 days before this current claim expires to avoid being hit with another waiting week.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:56 PM

Awesome, thank you for this.

So i looked at my online statement and this is what I have so far. It looks like I wasn't given a new claim, they just reopened it.

It says my claim balance is $5,850 right now and my benefit year is 3/6/16 - 3/4/17. I don't understand how this is my benefit year when my first claim was beginning of Sept last year when I was laid off. Also when I filed to reopen my claim they made me do one week waiting period before I got benefits again.

If I go by when I reopened my claim on 3/6 after my contract job I have received benefits for 13 weeks but if I go from the very beginning when I got laid off I have received benefits for 17 weeks.

Since my balance says I have $5,850 left, am I still good? Or does that not apply if it's only for 26 weeks?

Old 06-18-2016, 04:52 PM

Quote:
It looks like I wasn't given a new claim, they just reopened it.
I disagree. I think you were given a new claim because

Quote:
It says my claim balance is $5,850 right now and my benefit year is 3/6/16 - 3/4/17.
For there to be a REopening, your claim should have been from SEPT, 2015

Did you work and file in another state in Sept?

Quote:
I don't understand how this is my benefit year when my first claim was beginning of Sept last year when I was laid off. Also when I filed to reopen my claim they made me do one week waiting period before I got benefits again.
Everything you are saying says you got a new claim, but it doesn't mesh with the story you told. Are you even sure you were on UI in Sept, 2015? Was it maybe disability instead?

Quote:
If I go by when I reopened my claim on 3/6 after my contract job I have received benefits for 13 weeks but if I go from the very beginning when I got laid off I have received benefits for 17 weeks.
While I think things are very wrong, in the one case you better hurry if you want to go to school, and if you try to fix things, then it's too long, but if you fix things, then you have 9 weeks of UI, and you can probably get another 26 weeks starting in Sept, 2016.

Quote:
Since my balance says I have $5,850 left, am I still good? Or does that not apply if it's only for 26 weeks?
I don't know what you mean by this. Looks like you have 1/2 your claim left.

Last edited by Chyvan; 06-18-2016 at 05:01 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
I disagree. I think you were given a new claim because

For there to be a REopening, your claim should have been from SEPT, 2015

Did you work and file in another state in Sept?

Everything you are saying says you got a new claim, but it doesn't mesh with the story you told. Are you even sure you were on UI in Sept, 2015? Was it maybe disability instead?

While I think things are very wrong, in the one case you better hurry if you want to go to school, and if you try to fix things, then it's too long, but if you fix things, then you have 9 weeks of UI, and you can probably get another 26 weeks starting in Sept, 2016.

I don't know what you mean by this. Looks like you have 1/2 your claim left.
Sorry for the confusion. I'm asking if that is exactly what is left for me to claim? And if that balance will be the end of the 26 week period?

I started a contract job in mid Oct. that went to end of Feb. 2016. I did not file in another state.

No it was UI. I got laid off last week of Aug. '15 and started getting benefits beginning of Sept. Then I got a contract job mid Oct. that went through end of Feb. '16. I thought that job would lead me to get hired on so I let my account stop. But since I did not get hired on, at the end of the job I tried to reopen my original claim from Sept. but it said it has been too long so I needed to re-apply. I did apply again and the lady I talked on the phone for my interview said I still can get benefits but wasn't sure if she reopened my last claim or I got a new one.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
started getting benefits beginning of Sept.
Prior to Sept, 2015, were you on UI once before?

You need to learn what's right when it comes to UI or you might be losing lot of money that you're entitled to. I have real issues that you waited from Aug to Sep and again from Feb to Mar. When you lose your job, if you know it will make no material difference in your claim value, you need to apply that day you lose your job. In your case, your waiting didn't even cross a quarter, so I'm seeing no valid reason to do what you did.

Old 06-18-2016, 06:33 PM

25,608 posts, read 56,750,210 times
Quote:
So I got laid off last weekend of Aug. '15 and started receiving benefits mid Sept. I started a contract job mid October and obviously stopped getting benefits. Then beginning of March I did not get hired on so I tried reopening my claim. Since I didn't claim any benefits for that period of working my claim was closed and I could not reopen it and Cali said I had to file a new application. So I filled another application out.

I'm not sure if they gave me a new claim or just reopened my first claim.

Quote:
It says my claim balance is $5,850 right now and my benefit year is 3/6/16 - 3/4/17.

I don't understand how this is my benefit year when my first claim was beginning of Sept last year when I was laid off.

Also when I filed to reopen my claim they made me do one week waiting period before I got benefits again.

Quote:
Sorry for the confusion. I'm asking if that is exactly what is left for me to claim? And if that balance will be the end of the 26 week period?

I started a contract job in mid Oct. that went to end of Feb. 2016. I did not file in another state.

No it was UI. I got laid off last week of Aug. '15 and started getting benefits beginning of Sept.

Then I got a contract job mid Oct. that went through end of Feb. '16. at the end of the job I tried to reopen my original claim from Sept. but it said it has been too long so I needed to re-apply.
OP needs to tell us his claim history PRIOR to 3/16. If CA told you it had been "too long" in 3/16 to resume benefits on what you believed to be a new claim in 8/15, normally that would mean you had an earlier claim which expired prior to 3/16, and the benefits you collected in August were what was left from that earlier claim. Thus, CA opened a new claim for you in 3/16 - which will expire 3/2017.

If you never had an earlier claim prior to filing in August 2015, then CA has made an error (very odd for them), and opened a new claim in March 2016 way too soon. That would be a first, frankly.

That being said, go with what you have now.

Yes, you can exhaust the $5,850 amount that is shown and have until 3/17 to do so. As Chyvan said upthread, if you want to participate in a CTB program in CA, you must make arrangements for that now. The date that matters is 3/16.

There are no extension benefits of any kind and, afaik, there are no CTB benefits for going to school for a real estate license. In order to continue collecting UI while training for a real estate license, you need to get CA's approval for the class schedule. Which means, if that schooling takes up all of your daytime hours time to the point you cannot search for or accept work and/or are not willing to drop the schooling to do so, CA will not pay benefits. If you decide to go to real estate school, try to get a night class schedule.

Fwiw - I hope you're high energy and have savings. Real estate is a tough business - and a very lean one at that. It can be six months or more before you see any money at all. Meanwhile, you're spending your money on gas, realtor board fees, and all manner of expenses. You are working purely as independent contractor. If you have other income coming into the household, you can ride out the startup time. Otherwise, you may be digging yourself into quite a hole. I was in that business in WI for 20 years, so I know whereof I speak. The people who usually make it and can ride out the months and months of no income are those with a working spouse or other forms of steady income or a very strong referral network which minimizes the lean times. Commission sales is a tough and cutthroat world - especially in real estate.

Generally, expect that it will take a couple of years for you to see any decent income at all. Many single real estate people have part-time or even full-time jobs - often working this way for years before they are comfortable relying in real estate for a steady income. And, another recession or period of high interest rates, the first to collapse will be real estate. Current mortgage rates of 3.5%-4% are not normal. As rates rise, sales decline. That said, Fed isn't going to be raising rates anytime soon. Economy is pretty stagnant.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-18-2016 at 07:10 PM..

Old 06-19-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Prior to Sept, 2015, were you on UI once before?

You need to learn what's right when it comes to UI or you might be losing lot of money that you're entitled to. I have real issues that you waited from Aug to Sep and again from Feb to Mar. When you lose your job, if you know it will make no material difference in your claim value, you need to apply that day you lose your job. In your case, your waiting didn't even cross a quarter, so I'm seeing no valid reason to do what you did.
No I was not. This was my first time being on UI. I got laid off last Friday of Aug. '15. I applied for UI that day. I did not start receiving benefits until 10/3/15.

Same goes when I applied again in March. My last day of work was the last Friday of Feb. and I applied that day. The week of 3/6 they made me do a waiting period that week and then I started receiving benefits the week of 3/13.

So after this claim is done, will I be able to apply again in Sept. or not until 3/6 (which is the beginning date of my current benefit year)?

Old 06-19-2016, 10:05 AM

Here is my claim history and what I am seeing.

Also does anyone have a phone number I can call to talk to someone to clarify and not get an automated voice? It seems very tough to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
CA: How to find out when I stop receiving benefits-screen-shot-2016-06-19-8.59.40   CA: How to find out when I stop receiving benefits-screen-shot-2016-06-19-9.04.18  

Old 06-19-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
This was my first time being on UI.
That first link to a screen print tells a different story. It clearly shows towards the bottom that you sent in a paper application around Jan 4, 2015, and then didn't collect anything on it until September.

It means that the claim would have expired around Jan, 2016, and is why you had to open a NEW claim.

As it stands, everything looks right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment