Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 AM

8 posts, read 4,581 times

Advertisements

Ok cool. Thank you for your help!! I appreciate it!

So when would I be able to apply again? Sept. or 3/6?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 10:51 AM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times
You'd submit a new application if you are still out of work on 3/1/17. That way you avoid a waiting week.

The claims aren't exactly a year. It's for 52 weeks. You can tell by the second screen shot that your claim ends on 3/4/17, but CA has a quirk that most other state's don't with new claims that allow you to apply for a new claim up to 3 days early to avoid a new waiting week.

However, don't get your hopes up on a new claim come 3/4/17. You'd need to work again, earn the right amount of money, and lose your job under nondisqualifying circumstances. With your original but inprecise telling, it looks like you had done that, but since your claim expired, this most recent separation in Mar got you a new claim, but won't get you another new claim in 2017.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:02 AM

Why does it say we get 52 weeks but I really only get 26 weeks at a time? So I would have to get another job and lose it like you said to apply again to get another 26 weeks? Thats whats confusing me a little. Someone told me you can qualify for 52 weeks of benefits but only get 26 weeks first then you have to wait 6 months then if you still are unemployed you can get the other 26. Or something along those lines.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:30 AM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsg View Post
Why does it say we get 52 weeks but I really only get 26 weeks at a time?
You get 26 weeks worth of FULL UI checks. Some people work part-time and they can collect up to 51 partial UI checks.

It doesn't say that your going to get 52 weeks, only that your claim lasts about a year, but the award amount is all based on UP TO 26 full checks. Some people don't even get 26 weeks. It all depends on the earnings in the base period.

Quote:
So I would have to get another job and lose it like you said to apply again to get another 26 weeks?
That, and you have to earn the right amount of money or more which isn't all that much, but I don't want you to think that you can mow your neighbor's lawn and that will be enough.

Quote:
Thats whats confusing me a little. Someone told me you can qualify for 52 weeks of benefits but only get 26 weeks first then you have to wait 6 months then if you still are unemployed you can get the other 26. Or something along those lines.
The thing is you're just confused. You couldn't even remember that you applied back in Jan 2015 nor what your claim history was or why it mattered. Then you have someone that's explaining things to you, and they probably don't understand the actual in and outs, and you don't even understand the significance of what they are saying and how it applies to your situation. You really can't believe anyone when it comes to UI because it's such a complex system with lots of rules, and some things make no sense.

As it stands now, you are NOT a candidate for a new claim in 3/2017 so unless you get those training benefits, you're going to run out of money in Sept, and it's going to be a long haul to 3/2017 for a new claim UNLESS you work, earn the right amount of money, and get laid off, and then you still have base period issues to consider. The best bet is to plan on being Christmas help if things don't work out for you by then, and then you can also raid the other social service programs like SNAP when your UI runs out so at least you'll have food.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:38 AM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
Quote:
Why does it say we get 52 weeks but I really only get 26 weeks at a time? So I would have to get another job and lose it like you said to apply again to get another 26 weeks? Thats whats confusing me a little. Someone told me you can qualify for 52 weeks of benefits but only get 26 weeks first then you have to wait 6 months then if you still are unemployed you can get the other 26. Or something along those lines.
You might be eligible for another 26 weeks at the end of the first benefit year IF you have new earnings to support that claim.

Basic info on claims:
  • Maximum weeks benefits paid in a CA claim are 26 weeks, many times the claims are smaller
  • Claims are good for one year - it's called a benefit year - comprised of 52 weeks
  • You are only allowed one CA claim per benefit year
  • Benefits under the claim are only available within that benefit year.
  • You need to have worked during your current benefit year to be eligible for another claim when the current benefit year expires in 3/17
  • Only W-2 wages create eligibility. Any commissions paid for independent contractor work, such as real estate sales, do not count
So, if you want claim eligibility in 3/17, find yourself some W-2 work before that time.

Thanks for posting the claim history, btw. Clears everything up. You apparently forgot about opening the first claim in January 2015.

Therefore, when you attempted to open a claim in 8/2015, as per above, CA reopened the existing 1/15 claim because the benefit year had not yet expired. The 1/15 claim expired in 1/16 and has nothing whatsoever to do now with when you are eligible for a new claim. The benefit year for the new claim is what matters. New benefit year expires 3/17. You may be eligible for a new claim at that time - provided you have worked and earned new W-2 wages.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 06-19-2016 at 11:54 AM..

Old 06-19-2016, 11:53 AM

Thank you both. That clears everything up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment