Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2016, 01:01 PM

15,150 posts, read 32,595,200 times

Advertisements

Jobs are hard to get these days, so don't be so picky. If you use up your savings, what are you going to do?

Old 06-16-2016, 01:10 PM

14,493 posts, read 31,296,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEnthusiast View Post
There will be layoffs and then I can apply again?
Sort of. It would called a 2nd year or subsequent year claim. It's very much like a new claim so don't confuse it with an extension.

Quote:
But unless it's a really good "seasonal" job, I wouldn't be getting max benefit, I'm assuming.
For you, it wouldn't matter much if it was good or crap. Because UI looks back between 3 months and a day and 5 months and 31 days, you have unused wages from your last job that you got laid off from. Probably a lot of wages. It's those unused wages that create your eligibility for a new claim, but the catch is that you have to show attachment to the labor market. That's why taking a crap job that you just know is going to create a clean separation isn't a stupid move.

It can be a dumb move when you take a job like that in your 1st week on UI, but when things aren't going your way and you land one just in time to be able to get a 2nd year claim when you're getting desperate, it's a godsend.

However, if you don't know about this possibility, you might forgo the opportunity because you're holding out for something better. Now that you know, you might very well take a job that might gross you $2,500 because it creates eligibility for another pot of about $11,700 at CA's max benefit, and that just might justify doing the work because the pay off in extra UI benefits makes it worthwhile.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:20 PM

138 posts, read 113,557 times
Thanks for the info Chyvan.

I always thought that UI was paid by the employer? Correct? Or is it pulled from SDI account? I'm a little confused.

How about for some reason I wasn't working for a year? Could I file for UI next February? And get the maximum amount for another 6 months? I'm hoping I find something here soon, but just was curious.

Old 06-16-2016, 02:39 PM

13,179 posts, read 21,352,783 times
Yes, we pay for unemployment in all but 3 states. In AK, PA and NJ, the employee pays a small token amount.

If by SDI are you talking State Disability Income? If so, that is, as the same says, for people who are unable to work due to illness or injury that a doctor has certified meets the standard for state disability. Although administered by the same people (office) it's a totally separate item, that has nothing to do with unemployment benefits (except to make sure you don't collect both at the same time).

If you have not worked the required time/monetary amount during your current benefit year, you would not be approved for unemployment benefits for a second year. You MUST work (or have another qualifying event) during the previous benefit year in order to use the lag wages from your prior claim. So, no work - No benefits.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:28 PM

25,633 posts, read 56,825,752 times
Quote:
I always thought that UI was paid by the employer? Correct? Or is it pulled from SDI account? I'm a little confused.
Short-Term Disability Insurance (SDI) and Unemployment benefits are two different things. Employers pay into both programs.

Quote:
How about for some reason I wasn't working for a year? Could I file for UI next February? And get the maximum amount for another 6 months?
If you filed in February 2016, CA used earnings October 1, 2014-September 30, 2015 for your current claim. That means you have unused earnings October 1, 2015-Feb. 2016 in your LAG. It is those earnings which can get you a new claim almost as good as the first claim - IF YOU HAVE WORKED before your current benefit year expires next February.

So, the answer to your Q is NO - you can't file for benefits next February and get a claim if you haven't worked - at least a little - between Feb. 2016-2017. Sec 1277 of CA Code requires you have earnings of at least $1,300 in one quarter, or $1,125 in two quarters of that benefit year, at least $900 of which occurs in one quarter.

Get yourself some of kind of work before next February.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:46 AM

Thanks for the insight guys! Greatly appreciated!

Old 06-17-2016, 10:48 AM

15,150 posts, read 32,595,200 times
Quote:
And no, that's not what you told me to do. You told me to get a job at McDonald's when I'm used to working at top notch companies in the US industry.
I didn't tell you to get a job at McDonald's.

This is what I told you to do: Jobs are hard to get these days, so don't be so picky. If you use up your savings, what are you going to do?

You may have worked at top notch companies in the past, but you're not now. Your unemployment is going to run out, you go through your savings because you're still hoping that another "top notch company" will hire you, but you've had no luck. There's also no guarantee that you'll get another job in a "top notch company," and if you do it could take a lot longer than you think it will. By then, you don't have much of a choice. There are lots of people out there that will take any job just for income, while they look for something better. That way, they're not on the street.

You need to face reality which you're not. There are way many more people looking for a job in the same field than you, and even if you get interviewed, there's no guarantee that you're going to be hired. And don't forget about the age discrimination, and yes, it's out there.

So when it comes down to that situation with you, what are you going to do?

Last edited by moved; 06-17-2016 at 10:57 AM..

Old 06-17-2016, 02:21 PM

17,432 posts, read 12,111,712 times
Quote:
Maybe that's what you did, but its not for everyone. I'm not about ready to get a job that doesn't meet my expectations. Some shoot lower than others I suppose.
Good luck, and enjoy your diet of bread and water.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I didn't tell you to get a job at McDonald's.

This is what I told you to do: Jobs are hard to get these days, so don't be so picky. If you use up your savings, what are you going to do?

You may have worked at top notch companies in the past, but you're not now. Your unemployment is going to run out, you go through your savings because you're still hoping that another "top notch company" will hire you, but you've had no luck. There's also no guarantee that you'll get another job in a "top notch company," and if you do it could take a lot longer than you think it will. By then, you don't have much of a choice. There are lots of people out there that will take any job just for income, while they look for something better. That way, they're not on the street.

You need to face reality which you're not. There are way many more people looking for a job in the same field than you, and even if you get interviewed, there's no guarantee that you're going to be hired. And don't forget about the age discrimination, and yes, it's out there.

So when it comes down to that situation with you, what are you going to do?

I'm early 30's? Did you think I was older? lol.

It's all good amigo, I understand where someone could have your views but why would I want to get into a lower wage job when I have savings and support. I'm not sure where your from and your upbringing but I'm definitely going to sell myself short on the next job.

Just a question? Are you a blue collar worker?

Old 06-17-2016, 03:47 PM

13,179 posts, read 21,352,783 times
Quote:
Just a question? Are you a blue collar worker?
Enough already!

The truth is, in the world of un and under employment, the danger is trying to maintain the same standard when prospects are narrowing. There was a time (when extension were available) that your work search would take on a new scope at each extension period. So, the particle physicist would be expected to apply for similar positions, at similar pay, under similar conditions to their old position; but, as time progressed that suitability would drop to the point that if they don't see that person applying for sales associate positions at the Discovery Store, they would cut them off from benefits.

Now unemployment doesn't care. With no more extensions and a cut in workforce readjustment programs and eligibility, they just let people run out their benefits and kick them to the curb. There have been many topics that go "I just noticed that my benefit balance is $0, what do I do, I need the money?" So, don't take it as an insult against you or degrade others for sounding the warning bell that the state decided to no longer sound. Take it for what it is, your benefits are running out and there will be no more state assistance money coming your way, so take the steps to ensure you are financially aware of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment