Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 04:53 PM

88 posts, read 210,300 times

Advertisements

me=stressbox
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 05:55 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,561,208 times
Ms. stressbox - lol - not funny, I know - but that questionnaire is very pointed.

NY really does read the answers on its questionnaires carefully, so do your best to explain your reasoning logically and coherently - especially questions #4 and #5.

One of the weeks you attempted to claim had, in reality been completed, although NY may not view it that way. Claiming while out of the country isn't the worst offense. "Getting your claim to go through" is where they're looking to nail you.

Good luck.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:09 PM

I have filled out everything except question 5 so far. I feel like writing, " I filed for the week that I was out of the country when I returned home on Sunday." and just leaving it at that. Yes, they want to know how I got my claim through when I was down there for the week I was available, but maybe just answering what I said, implying I have no idea what they are inferring is not such a bad idea?

Old 01-17-2015, 06:15 PM

Here is what I wrote for question 4: On 12/28-1/2 I was available to work. I never work weekends in my job. I am always called before a job begins and could have easily flown home to be to work the next day. My union hall has my phone number on the out of work list. I have no work search requirements. The resort was paid by room, not person so I could have left with no penalty.

Unemployment is a vital part of my profession. I am an honest, hard worker who has a family to support and would NEVER purposely try to abuse this system. I have been using this system for many years and have never had one issue with my claims. This was an honest mistake and I hope that you can take that into consideration.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:35 PM

Yes I admitted I made a mistake. This whole thing was a mistake, lol. Hopefully they have heart, RIGHT!

Old 01-17-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe9 View Post
I have filled out everything except question 5 so far. I feel like writing, " I filed for the week that I was out of the country when I returned home on Sunday." and just leaving it at that. Yes, they want to know how I got my claim through when I was down there for the week I was available, but maybe just answering what I said, implying I have no idea what they are inferring is not such a bad idea?
You could do that and see what NY does. Expect a followup interview on this issue. NY won't ignore the fact that you were able to successfully claim after being blocked.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
You could do that and see what NY does. Expect a followup interview on this issue. NY won't ignore the fact that you were able to successfully claim after being blocked.
Are u basing this solely on that one case that has been posted on here where the man lost all of his benefits for two years or are you familiar with this in other cases?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Are u basing this solely on that one case that has been posted on here where the man lost all of his benefits for two years or are you familiar with this in other cases?
Yours and the other are the only two reports we've had on the issue of claiming after being blocked. We've had numerous other reports on people from NY claiming out of the country with not that particular issue. In all cases, they needed to submit passport, travel itinerary, etc., and have had an interview.

I have no idea why you think NY will ignore this issue? The UI offices - in every state - are very serious about fraud of any kind. People don't report earnings, thinking they won't be caught. Bam - their benefits stop and they get a notice of overpayment. People don't report job refusals. Bam - their benefits stop b/c the employer reported the job refusal. People don't report going to school. Bam, their benefits stop - often permanently - because the schools file information with the state which gets passed on to all departments and is caught via SSN. People don't report self-employment. Bam, a filing of an LLC or business entity with the Secy of State gets reported to UI and their benefits stop b/c you need approval for SE work.

I've been on this board long enough to know that you can never assume the states will overlook a possible fraud. That's why I say what I do. Expect the worst and hope for the best.

In this case, if you're hoping to avoid ever having to answer the Q, not answering may be your best strategy.

I'm just sayin' - in the end, if you don't answer the Q - NY will ask you about it, anyway. You successfully claimed after your first attempt was blocked. NY will want to know why.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 01-17-2015 at 08:20 PM..

Old 01-17-2015, 08:12 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,131,723 times
Quote:
Unemployment is a vital part of my profession. I am an honest, hard worker who has a family to support and would NEVER purposely try to abuse this system. I have been using this system for many years and have never had one issue with my claims. This was an honest mistake and I hope that you can take that into consideration.
I wouldn't put this part down. Who cares? You make in sound like you are grovelling for forgiveness, and to me, you just need to go in to this process that you did NOTHING wrong.

Here's the other thing. There have been reports of people getting the same message you did while IN NYC because the internet cafe's had strange IP addresses. I'm sure those same people then went home, and were accused of circumventing.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chyvan View Post
Here's the other thing. There have been reports of people getting the same message you did while IN NYC because the internet cafe's had strange IP addresses. I'm sure those same people then went home, and were accused of circumventing.
This is true. I forgot about these reports. These people then had to prove their claims came from a NY location or they were in fact in the country at the time they claimed, even though the IP addresses indicated otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment