Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,913 times

Advertisements

Reading all these stories of getting overpayment notices from CA EDD makes me wonder. If a former employer decides to challenge unemployment, is there a set amount of time for them to do so? Is there a statuate of limitations or is this something I'll need to worry about forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 02:09 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,112,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overshoulder View Post
is there a set amount of time for them to do so?
Yes. On your Determination of Deputy are listed your appeal rights. The same applies to an employer as does the time frame involved.

Old 05-08-2013, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,854 times
Default Edd notified me years after I collected all the benefits

I collected unemployment benefits for a company that is now out of business. I found out the company was doing fraudulent activities. I have no way of contacting anyone to get proof that I was an employee. EDD is charging me with an overpayment of 56,000$ saying that I provided incorrect information and the employer cannot be verified therefor I never worked there. I've provided all of the reasonable information that I had on the company and appealed the decision, but the appeal was denied. I need help on what I should do. I did not lie about anything on my claim, I did work for the company, the company is out of business so I have no way of proving I worked for them because I never received a w2 to file taxes. Edd waited years to inform me that the employer couldn't be verified(after I had collected all benefits including extensions) if this was an issue I should have been notified early on.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:17 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,112,666 times
Are you still out of work? Is your credit shot? Was this a nonfraud overpayment? If so, think about including it in a bankruptcy filing.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:30 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,533,893 times
If you received probably 99 weeks' benefits, EUC based this award on some payroll information. Did it all come from you and paystubs you provided?

It was reported here recently that EDD does purge its payroll database after a while, so if you collected based on employment which occurred three or four years ago, any records of your wages reported to EDD might be gone. Hopefully, this has not happened.

Did you file state and federal tax returns reporting this income? Was there withholding from your wages applied to your taxes owed? State of CA Franchise Board might have wage information for you. As well as the IRS and SS databases. Unless your employer failed to report to either of these agencies.

Also, check with the California Secretary of State. Possibly, there is a record of that business.

It might be worth your while to see an attorney on ferreting out how this company was domiciled, if it was registered in the State of California. It didn't just vanish without a trace.

There has to be a record of this company and your earnings from this company somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment