Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM

109 posts, read 425,142 times

Advertisements

UI benefits are not based on your financial needs but on why you were not re-hired. Remember you now qualify for a lot of low-income benefits because even if you get the max UI benefit your expenses allow you little if any xtra money.

I applied and got everything from reduced rates on utilities to a free central air conditioner.

Check out the San Bernardino Community Action Partnership Program for help with everything from a gas card to paying your mortgage/rent (for one month). They also administer the LiHeap Program where you can get everything from carbon monoxide detector to a free furnace and central air. Here is the link:
Home Page

You can also apply for food stamps on-line at: Benefitscal.com

If you have a mortgage and your mortgage payments is more than 31% of your gross income you can get help paying your mortgage for up to nine months with Keep Your Home California. The money doesn't have to be repaid if you continue to live in the house x number of years after you start receiving assistance. They write a second mortgage which is forgiven after x number of years.

Here is the Unemployment Mortgage Assistance Program link:
Unemployment Mortgage Assistance – Keep Your Home California

Here is that link to apply:
Keep Your Home, California.

HAMP also has an Unemployment Mortgage Assistance program too but you can't get both. Check with your lender.

The list goes on so relax. 16 months after I was laid off I'm doing just as well as when I subbed. No extras but you can't have it all.

Carol-Lynn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 08:27 PM

15,142 posts, read 32,464,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Today's May 1st & I have about 3 1/2 weeks left on my job. I plan to apply online...I hope the online forms is still available.

I haven't applied for UI in so long, I forgot how the form goes. Is there a place to write comments, so I can write:

"My rent & bills total $2040 per month and if I'm not approved for UI, I'll be homeless."

Can't I write a note in there like that? Won't that help my chances of being approved? Are there ANY comments I can write to help my chance of being approved? How about during the phone interview?
There are no section for comments on the online form. When you're called for a phone interview, the person doing the interview will be reading the questions for you to answer off of a form. Just answer the questions, they ask you and don't offer any additional information, because they don't need it. If EDD need anything more, they'll send you a form in the mail to fill out and return to them.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:33 PM

LiHeap and food stamps have an income limit, and I doubt if the amount of unemployment she receives will qualify her. For the LiHeap program, you can't make more than $1,211 per month, and even then you can get turned down. Food stamps are the same, and they make it so hard for you, you just want to give up.

I applied for LiHeap, and was turned down, even though my income was under the limit. The County qualified me for CMS, but CMS doesn't have me in their computer, so I have nothing. I started getting $146/month in food stamps in February. But since I worked, and made less than I get on unemployment for a week, the county reduced them to $62/month starting in May.

I needed to go to the doctor, and ended up having to pay for it myself, since the county couldn't decide what I had. By June I won't have food stamps anymore, because I'll be back to work and won't need them. It's such a hassle, I hope this is the last time I have to get them.

Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 AM

109 posts, read 425,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
LiHeap and food stamps have an income limit, and I doubt if the amount of unemployment she receives will qualify her. For the LiHeap program, you can't make more than $1,211 per month, and even then you can get turned down. Food stamps are the same, and they make it so hard for you, you just want to give up.

I applied for LiHeap, and was turned down, even though my income was under the limit. What happened? I applied for LiHeap during a month when I had no income-that's all they care about-one month's income. Didn't required a 1040-just income from that month. I will admit it was a major pain to get them to follow through. Start to finish was seven months and I had to actually call the director of CAP to get things moving. The squeaky wheel does get the grease.

The County qualified me for CMS, but CMS doesn't have me in their computer, so I have nothing. I started getting $146/month in food stamps in February. I applied too but was turned down too much money at the time. You can qualify sometimes if you have minor children in the homse, which I don't. I think the state has some program for their parents that is easier to qualify for. Anyway, if your not in the system them I would find out what you need to do to get activated.

But since I worked, and made less than I get on unemployment for a week, the county reduced them to $62/month starting in May. Don't forget about food pantries and federal food commodities distribution centers can be tapped if necessary. I did that a couple years ago when they cut my food stamps too. Some pantries are better than others. The nice thing about being over sixty is it is easier to qualify for food stamps. They allow you to deduct your entire mortgage.

I needed to go to the doctor, and ended up having to pay for it myself, since the county couldn't decide what I had. I haven't been to a doctor in over ten years. I'll be 65 yrs. old in November and can breathe easy. I happen to be blessed with good genes and I've been a fitness fanatic since the seventies and I've always watch what I eat, etc. Other people are not so lucky and I thank God everyday he has blessed me so.

By June I won't have food stamps anymore, because I'll be back to work and won't need them. It's such a hassle, I hope this is the last time I have to get them. Amen to that. Been off them for a year but that $200 a month helped save my home from foreclosure. In two years, if all goes well I will once again have equity in my home. Everything is a hassle but you do what you have to do. Thank God you now have a job once again.
Anyway to the original poster. There is nothing to worry. The entire interview won't take more than a couple of minutes. They will ask you essentially three questions: (1) When was the last day you worked. (2) Do you have reasonable assurance of returning to work in the fall?-Your answer no I do not which will lead to the last question. (3) Why were you let go? Keep it brief and to the point. You'll be fine.

Carol-Lynn

Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 PM

12,841 posts, read 15,143,142 times
OK, the 3rd question of WHY I was let go has me thinking about what I should say.

TRUTH: I'm technically a probationary/temporaryemployee, which my work will probably easily verify if EDD calls them. I had to kind of pry the reason why out of my work & they said: "I didn't show enough growth." If I hadn't asked, they wouldn't have said a thing.

Should I just say I don't know the reason why they let me go since tehcnically, they don't need a reason at all? I don't want it to look bad on my end like I wasn't progressing enough...even though that was their reason.

My top priority is trying to get APPPROVED here for UI.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:17 PM

You won't have a problem getting approved. Just answer the questions that they ask you.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:33 PM

Whoops, sorry for the typos & no space between words. I type pretty fast!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:46 AM

carol7lynn,I meant to say THANK YOU for posting those links!...I thought I had. I'll apply for UI on my very last day of work. How soon can I apply for thesse things on the links you posted?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:51 AM

Oh yes, I had another question:

Isn't there a question on the application that asks: Are you on a seasonal break? I guess I still have to say YES...but what they don't know is that I WON'T be returning in the fall. So, how are they going to know that I'm permanently out of work & not just on the summer break?

I forgot if there was a question that asks if you have reasonable assurance, which I do NOT.

Old 05-15-2013, 09:46 AM

If you say that you're on a seasonable break, you're going to have problems. They'll probably ask you if you have a letter of reasonable assurance, and since you don't, you say, "No."

You can't apply for food stamps, medical or any other type of assistance until EDD sends you letter of determination telling you how much your benefits will be every week. There's a monthly income cutoff amount for food stamps and medical, and it's $1,211 per month.

I tried to get medical, and the county screwed me over, and never processed the application.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment