Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM

2 posts, read 11,429 times

Advertisements

I had to file a new claim this time based on my most recent job. I was sent a letter stating that I was approved for insurance. It even showed the amount I'd be earning what base period it's based on and the effective date (1/14/13)and ending date (1/19/14). Yet ever since the 14th, the day I've been filing everything remains at $0. I've been calling with absolutely no luck. I can't speak to any representatives and I can't even schedule a call back time (since they all seem to be booked and I get only three tries then they hang up on me) It's extremely frustrating and my rent is due. I've had all my hopes on this insurance but it's letting me down. Why is it still $0 even after being approved? Why hasn't any insurance come through after filing for the past 2 weeks? I'm sick of calling that useless service line. Is this normal? Do I have to be patient? or is there immediate action I could take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Your state?

Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,429 times
I'm in nyc. I realized that it being in pending status is the reason (don't know why I didn't notice that before) but why is it pending? I really can't wait too long otherwise homelessness is not too far away. It's scary to think of it

Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
If you filed your claim on Monday, 1/14/13, the week after you file, week ending 1/26, is your waiting week.

Therefore, there are no benefits to be paid before 2/3:

Quote:
Q: I filed a claim, what next?

A: For each week you wish to receive benefits, you must request payment by claiming benefits for that week. Go to How do I claim? for details. Before we can pay any benefits, you must serve an unpaid waiting period. This equals one full week of unemployment benefits. You must claim credit for your unpaid waiting week during the period that:
  • Begins on the first Sunday after you file your claim and
  • Ends the next Saturday
After You've Applied For Unemployment - New York State Department of Labor
If you have not yet done so, file a claim for that week. When you file this Sunday, your account should show a balance and next week you should receive your first week's benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment