Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 11:51 PM

2 posts, read 10,854 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have some questions. I first filed in sept 2011, was unemployed until may 2012. Went back to work and was laid off again in august 2012. I filed and was put back on my last claim on tier 1 extension. Claim expired sept 02 2012. Filed a new claim on sept 04 2012. Got my regular 2 week claim form, then another one with the second week x'd out. I also got a letter from EDD asking for pay stubs between sept 01 2011 and sept 04 2012. My question is, if I can not get stubs for all monies made between the dates they are asking for by the time they ask for it, what happens then? And being friday night, do I certify like normal on sunday when my normal 2 week claim for would be due ( I do online) or do I cert for the one week only? ( no option for online or telecert for this week yet would have to mail?) I want to continue my extended benefits. Can I just continue using that claim form? Some help would be appreciated thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM

2 posts, read 10,854 times
If anyone could reply and help it would definitely help my stress level to go down

Old 09-15-2012, 06:31 AM

109 posts, read 424,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeggRenee View Post
Ok, I have some questions. I first filed in sept 2011, was unemployed until may 2012. Went back to work and was laid off again in august 2012. I filed and was put back on my last claim on tier 1 extension. Claim expired sept 02 2012. Filed a new claim on sept 04 2012. Got my regular 2 week claim form, then another one with the second week x'd out. I also got a letter from EDD asking for pay stubs between sept 01 2011 and sept 04 2012. My question is, if I can not get stubs for all monies made between the dates they are asking for by the time they ask for it, what happens then? And being friday night, do I certify like normal on sunday when my normal 2 week claim for would be due ( I do online) or do I cert for the one week only? ( no option for online or telecert for this week yet would have to mail?) I want to continue my extended benefits. Can I just continue using that claim form? Some help would be appreciated thank you.
Can't tell you about the pay stub issue but I have a similar issue with getting two different claim forms (one for a new benefit year and one from a just expired benefit year) and not being able to file on-line because of one benefit year ending (Sept. 1, 2012) on Tier 1 EUC and a new benefit year beginning on September 2, 2012.

I got a one week claim like you for the week ending September 8,2012, with the second week x-ed out first and had to mail it in and was not able to certify on line but the good news is I was paid for that week without delay. No problem. Wish I could have certified on-line but dems the breaks. Just glad I got that week paid so quickly. The reason the other week is xed out is because to quote the EDD rep who I filed my new claim with, "You have a transitional claim and we have to pay you right away." A transitional claim is one where a new benefit year begins (and you are eligible for benefits) the very next week after you collected on an expired benefit year. Nothing to be concerned about. No waiting week needs to be served on a transitional claim until you go back to work and re-open your claim. That's why the second week is xed out.

Then later on this week, I got a continued claim form for that week (ending Sept. 8th) and this week (ending Sept. 15th) from my old benefit year. I expect that I'm just to ignore that claim form as I've already been paid for last week (ending Sept. 8th). Time will tell as I won't have to file another claim probably until next Sunday. I expect to get another claim form either today or Monday which will reflect my new claim year benefits, etc. Computer was probably pre-programmed to spit out the claim form for my expired benefit year since I still had 8 weeks of Tier 1 benefits left when I filed for a new benefit year.

Carol-Lynn

Last edited by carol7lynn; 09-15-2012 at 06:39 AM..

Old 10-20-2016, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,827 times
not sure if question was already asked but here goes . . my initual claim was denied i returned to work and 88 days later released. i again refiled and was approved. now 2.5 months later still have funds but claim us going to expire . but it had been less than a year . they started my claim off from my initial claim when i was denied. my question is how to i refile or should my claim date be dated from my second filing?

Old 10-20-2016, 10:51 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,064,506 times
Yeah, this is a common question, but asked in different ways that you probably won't figure out how it applies to you.

When you file for UI, you get claim. It's good for 52 weeks. Even though you were denied, you still had a claim. The one-year mark is driven by that first filing.

WHEN is the claim expiring? Before or after you've drawn all your money?

If after, you just sit tight and refile for a NEW claim the day after the expiration date

If before, then you lose the money left over on the claim because, well, it expired, but you still need to file for a NEW claim the after the expiration date.

Hopefully, you get new pot of money that will keep you happy.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:48 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,460,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz.paulag View Post
not sure if question was already asked but here goes . . my initual claim was denied i returned to work and 88 days later released. i again refiled and was approved. now 2.5 months later still have funds but claim us going to expire . but it had been less than a year . they started my claim off from my initial claim when i was denied. my question is how to i refile or should my claim date be dated from my second filing?
No, your claim is good for one year. You have one year to exhaust the benefits allocated to that claim. The benefit year began the date you filed, regardless that you were disqualified for part of that benefit year. Sounds like you were disqualified either because of a quit without cause or misconduct and needed to work again and experience a qualifying separation in order to be paid benefits on this claim.

If you are unemployed now, you REOPEN this existing claim and collect until the benefit year expires - at which time you reapply for a new claim. Because you have worked during your current benefit year, you should qualify for a new claim.

Many states do allow you to refile for a new claim the week the current benefit year expires - so, you could get the ball rolling a bit early, refile for a new claim the last week of that claim, and reduce the length of time to approval.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment