Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM

86 posts, read 355,101 times

Advertisements

TVandsportsguy:

LOL...seriously nothing to brag about except for my son getting two more teeth today!!! YEA.

Anyway, I actually applied at Publix (supermarket down here in FL) for a cashier's job for $9.00 an hour. I need to get that...because I need to work...I'm going stir crazy at home with just me and the baby...

I have applied to so many jobs it is crazy...at FPL (Florida Power and Light...) I applied for 16 human resource jobs since last september. I interviewed for "2"...obviously did not get hired...

I dont know what to do...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 02:24 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,155,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennieb25 View Post
TVandsportsguy:

LOL...seriously nothing to brag about except for my son getting two more teeth today!!! YEA.

Anyway, I actually applied at Publix (supermarket down here in FL) for a cashier's job for $9.00 an hour. I need to get that...because I need to work...I'm going stir crazy at home with just me and the baby...

I have applied to so many jobs it is crazy...at FPL (Florida Power and Light...) I applied for 16 human resource jobs since last september. I interviewed for "2"...obviously did not get hired...

I dont know what to do...

I can tell by the dreams I have that I;m sick of being home. I keep having dreams that I;m working only to wake and realize I;m not. And i have decided to turn my phone off because and just check my messages twice a hour because I get way too many calls from telemarketers. Also I been getting calls from the GAS COMPANY about a bill I only owe $45 on and when I see the message i think it's a job and it's the damm Gas Company.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:14 PM

25,594 posts, read 56,606,188 times
Quote:
Ariadne22 - Hi...I'm aware of the weekly unemployment rate in Florida...and yes for months now I have been looking out of state. Primarily in Texas and North Carolina. No hits. Like I said in a previous post I apply for 5 job a day...at any pay scale from $10K up to over $100K. I cannot get any more schooling...I have my MBA, 2 B.A's and 15 years of experience...so we will see.
North Carolina has a 9.4% UE rate. NC forum on C-D has a couple of really long threads about the very poor job market in NC - some areas closer to 11%. One fellow from GA - another high UE state - applied via internet in State of Wash with a company that is Boeing parts supplier. Got a job for 70k a year, with much lower cost of living. No $300 A/C bills, either. Very moderate temps keeps utility costs down.

Quote:
oh and Ariadne22...Floida's unemployment rate is NOT as bad as NJ's according to the list you posted. I needed to leave NJ...not only could I not afford it when i was working..but when i list my job...definately not...
There's more to job opportunity than UE rate. You need to consider the whole picture. As I said in the other post, FL has a very serious immigration problem holding down wages, not to mention a poor social safety net due to retirees not wanting to pay taxes for anything. TX UE rate isn't better, but there are pockets in TX which are booming.

Have you looked at Virginia, Maryland - any state that benefits from the DC influence? Lots of money sloshing around in DC - which spills over to all the communities adjacent to it. Certain areas of Virginia don't know the meaning of the word "recession."

You might want to review the BLS list on states in the 7% or thereabouts UE rate, expand your search away from the south, and visit those forums here on C-D. Many midwest states doing much better, as well.

You may want to be somewhere warm, but you really need to go where the higher paying jobs are. You will be so much better off when you are older having worked for a higher wage now - even in a higher COL area. Trust me, on that. Higher wages translate to a better quality of life in retirement, for sure. You aren't thinking about that day now, but people who did early in life are reaping some very pleasant benefits today. They put up with the aggravation when they're young, and then can do what they want when they're old. That day comes all too soon. Plus, you can expect further layoffs off during your life. You need to be in a state which pays more than a $275/wk UE benefit.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-09-2012 at 03:34 PM..

Old 07-09-2012, 03:30 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,179,314 times
the last time i job searched (~1 year ago) i applied to 26 jobs. i already had a job at the time and was seeking a better opportunity so i only applied to jobs i was legitimately interested in and qualified for. i also spent time customizing each resume and cover letter. only 3 of those jobs were in my area, 3 were in a city 2 hours away, and the rest were all over the place. i wanted to move but unfortunately i did not receive any responses from the jobs in other areas. i got one interview with a job in my area and one from the city 2 hours away. i ended up getting an offer with the former and then withdrawing my app from the latter since the former was a better opportunity. so i got a better job but i didn't get to move :/. i do think spending time customizing each resume and cover letter helped.

Old 07-09-2012, 04:55 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,678,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I can tell by the dreams I have that I;m sick of being home. I keep having dreams that I;m working only to wake and realize I;m not. And i have decided to turn my phone off because and just check my messages twice a hour because I get way too many calls from telemarketers. Also I been getting calls from the GAS COMPANY about a bill I only owe $45 on and when I see the message i think it's a job and it's the damm Gas Company.
Get on the "Do Not Call List." You're going miss a job opportunity because you are dodging a 45.00 gas bill?

Old 07-09-2012, 04:58 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Get on the "Do Not Call List." You're going miss a job opportunity because your dodging a 45.00 gas bill?
When 85% of calls between 9am and 6pm are from Telemarketers/Utilities Company/ and sometimes the Pharmacy, you don't want to hear the phone ring at all.

as I stated before if someone is interested they will leave a message.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
When 85% of calls between 9am and 6pm are from Telemarketers/Utilities Company/ and sometimes the Pharmacy, you don't want to hear the phone ring at all.

as I stated before if someone is interested they will leave a message.
The "Do Not Call List" will end most of those calls. You can opt out of the pharmacy courtesy calls. Why do you complain about things you can remedy?

Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
The "Do Not Call List" will end most of those calls. You can opt out of the pharmacy courtesy calls. Why do you complain about things you can remedy?

I already stated the "Do Not Call List" does not stop them from calling. I tried that and I still get the calls. The pharmacy is automated and it's nothing I can do about that. It only calls when my prescription is ready

Old 07-09-2012, 06:32 PM

Quote:
I already stated the "Do Not Call List" does not stop them from calling. I tried that and I still get the calls. The pharmacy is automated and it's nothing I can do about that. It only calls when my prescription is ready
If you listen you the pharmacy recording, you can opt out of being notified when your medicine is ready. You might need to renew with the DNCL. The only ones you can't escape are the bill collectors, but if you explain your situation instead of avoiding their calls, they might be willing to work with you. Life is easier than you make it out to be.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM

475 posts, read 649,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shocktop View Post
@arcover1 I couldn't agree more! A degree doesn't mean anything these days, take it from the thousands of unemployed graduates. For now I just suggest to keep on going and applying for jobs and taking "no" as an answer. Yes, that's not the best advice, but you're never going to get a job without trying. I'm as frustrated as the next person here.
Speak for yourself, as in my field, supervisory accounting, having a degree nowadays is more important than ever before! Without a degree in 9/10 opportunities, you do not even get your application considered. I know whereof I speak, as I used to easily get jobs without a degree until 2008. Then there is the satisfaction and confidence one get's from achieving a long sought after goal. So while it is not impossible to get a job without a degree, don't kid yourself into really believing that it does not increase your job opportunities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment