Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 03:47 PM

45 posts, read 294,274 times

Advertisements

While living in CA I was unemployed twice between 2008 and 2011. During my claim that lasted from 12/2009 to 5/2010, I joined an Americorp Program that paid a weekly stipend of $125.00. I contacted the EDD about this but never got a clear answer. The money wasn't considered "income" by the the state and to make a long story short I neglected to report this on my claim form.

I started a new claim in October 2011. Shortly after I received a Notice of Potential Overpayment letter for the subsequent time I had received a claim. I proceeded with my appeal letter, I got statements from Amiercorp supporting my case, I admitted to omitting the payments but I emphasized it was out of misunderstanding and not an act of deceit (which is the truth btw).

I spoke with an EDD agent on the phone who helped me process my appeal and also let me fax my paperwork directly to them. He took some notes on my statement too, which seemed to be encouraging. Like he was using internal EDD bureaucrat speak to help me make my case. But...

I have never heard from them since. It's been almost 6 months...

Obviously this makes me uneasy, always wondering when of if they are going to cancel my UI. I prepared a savings of the $1900.00 that I may have to repay but I'm more worried about being cut off and prosecution.

I haven't had any interruptions in my current claim yet. Since it took them over a year to send me the overpayment letter, will I wait just as long to hear from them again on what they decide? I've since moved to a new state, is that a factor? Has anyone else gone through this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
If you ever move back to CA, they will know about it and send you an overpayment notice, then. There was another case cited on this board on a 2006 claim. When claimant moved back to CA in 2011, he received a notice of overpayment which he appealed and, interestingly enough, CA ended up owing him $11,000 because the earlier denial of benefits was overturned.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/1494133-does-edd-owe-me.html

It may be as long as you don't live in CA, you won't hear from them. Ironic, because they are paying you benefits right now.

Although, since you are now transitioning to EUC, CA will review your claim again and may uncover this issue. So, be prepared for anything.

Old 04-20-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
If you ever move back to CA, they will know about it and send you an overpayment notice, then. There was another case cited on this board on a 2006 claim. When claimant moved back to CA in 2011, he received a notice of overpayment which he appealed and, interestingly enough, CA ended up owing him $11,000 because the earlier denial of benefits was overturned.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unemployment/1494133-does-edd-owe-me.html

It may be as long as you don't live in CA, you won't hear from them. Ironic, because they are paying you benefits right now.

Although, since you are now transitioning to EUC, CA will review your claim again and may uncover this issue. So, be prepared for anything.
EEK! Thanks...

Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM

Webcert allowed me to file today. But not knowing what's going to happen is disrupting everything for me now.

I don't think I can wait until EDD decides to come after me. Nor do I think that's wise. I'm going to try to contact them. I've heard nothing back from them since I sent in my appeal letter so I have no idea if it ever even went to the Appeals board. Could EDD just have dropped the whole thing? It doesn't make sense to me that they would stop the Overpayment charge if they did want to pursue it but still keep paying me benefits.

I think I made a pretty good case in my appeal and I think it would help, if I had a hearing, that I contacted them to settle this.

I would love to hear from anyone who's had to go through an Overpayment appeal or hearing with EDD. It would be a great help to know, weather you won or lost, what to expect. Especially if you were out of state. Did you have to repay? Did you pay the penalty too? Did they cut off your UI? Did you get a lawyer? How much did it cost?

I used their message system in the past but now I can't seem to find it, unless it is this "Ask EDD" which only give FAQ answers and doesn't let me send a message. Does anyone know how to decrypt this to get to and a message? I would hate to use a whole day fighting through thier phone system, if I could ever get through, but I will if that's my only option.

I need help!

Thanks

Old 04-23-2012, 05:45 PM

Default Update

So incredibly, I got a hold of an Agent at EDD on the phone in less than 3min, on a Monday? Wow!

So she told me that my extension was processed and that I should receive my first payment this week (pretty much right on time.)

I then asked about my Overpayment appeal. She looked in her notes and found the initial "Notice Potential Overpayment" letter sent, but said there was nothing after that. No Overpayment info or appeal which she said was not normal. There was only so much she could do from her end and she said that I needed to contact the "Centralized Overpayment" department which she said was a separate division.

So I then called and got a series of voice prompts that went in circles. I then heard a prompt that said, "Agents are unavailable to answer questions about appeals. If you need to speak to an agent, please call ####(the main EDD line)."

So EDD tells me to contact the CO Div and CO Div tells me to contact the EDD? Classic bureaucratic BS.

I'm still receiving payments on my current claim so I can sigh for now but I hate having this hanging over my head!

I wonder if I could just send them the money they said I owed and if that would end it?

Old 04-23-2012, 06:53 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,471,152 times
Note the operative word "Potential". As far as CA is concerned, no overpayment exists in their system at this time. If CA has no record beyond the initial "Notice Potential Overpayment", any money you send now will confuse them and could very well get "lost" causing you further frustration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment