Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 11:23 AM

8 posts, read 18,999 times

Advertisements

Ok here's my story.
I moved to CA in Oct. 28, 2011. Before that I resigned from a job I held at McDonald's I held for 6 years straight to relocate to CA. On Nov. 30, 2011 I finally landed a cleaning job paying $9/hr. On Jan 20, 2012 I was called into the main office and discharged. They showed me a piece of paper that showed the reason for the discharge was "Not a good fit". There were no checks in boxes that said I committed any form of misconduct. The only reason on this paper was "Not a good fit". I signed it and asked for a copy which I got. They also gave me my final check.
I waited a couple weeks to file an Unemployment claim because of hoping to find another job. I would rather work. So I file a claim with CA EDD. Get a call within a couple days. The caller asks if I gave my correct SS number. I then repeat it back to her. Then she asks if I worked for McDonalds for six years consecutively. I answe yes and ask if she wanted their phone number & address. She said she has it. Then she said it doesn't show that I paid anything into Unemplyment Ins. I told her that's odd because they certainly deducted a lot out of all my checks. She said she'd submit my claim anyway.
I then go to the EDD office in Torrance,CA to register for CalWorks. The guy helping me with the computer said that I didn't work at the cleaning job long enough to qualify and that I voluntary quit the McDs job in PA.
On the EDD site it says NOTHING about the amount of time you work a job before becoming unemployed "through no fault of your own". Also what does quitting a job before the last one have anything to do with anything ?
I'm confused about what the eligibility requirements REALLY are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 AM

25,574 posts, read 56,542,235 times
Normally, a voluntary quit wouldn't disqualify you if you were subsequently laid off from another job. I'm sure McDs paid UI tax for you - just not in CA.

Claim eligibility in all states is determined by base-year earnings. Standard base year period excludes earnings for the quarter in which you file and the quarter preceding that. Since you filed in Jan. 2012, earnings used would be October 2010-September 2011. However, beginning in April, CA will be using an alternate method qualify, as well as the standard base-year.
Quote:
The ABP (Alternate Base Period) provisions will only apply to unemployed individuals who do not qualify for a UI claim based on the current standard base period but monetarily qualify for a UI claim based on the alternate based period. The current “standard” base period is the fi rst four of the last fi ve completed calendar quarters at the time of fi ling a claim. The “alternate” base period is the four most recently completed calendar quarters.

http://www.edd.ca.gov/pdf_pub_ctr/de8714z.pdf
I believe the CA earnings requirement is $900. You could refile in April, at which time earnings from April 2011-March 2012 would be included in an alternate base year for you and might qualify you for benefits. April isn't too far off.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:05 PM

14,500 posts, read 31,118,933 times
I'm going to assume you're desperate for money.

You should try to file a claim in the state where the McDonald's job was at. Do it by phone, and ASK/BEG to get your claim backdated to the same date it would have been had CA been more proactive in helping you. Make sure the rep is fully aware that you had subsequent employment to McDonald's, tell them about the "not a good fit" discharge, and offer to fax/mail a paystub to show earnings, the termination paper, and the CA determination notice to show you tried to file in CA and the date.

Next time, with few exceptions, IMMEDIATELY file. (the only example I can think of is if by waiting you might get a bigger benefit because of wages in your base period and you're just before a quarterly break End of Mar, Jun, Sep, or Dec)

Old 02-25-2012, 12:33 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,040,139 times
Why did you relocate to CA during this horrible economy?

It's the worst the state has seen in a very long time.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Why did you relocate to CA during this horrible economy?

It's the worst the state has seen in a very long time.
I relocated to be with my wife who has a great paying job as a nurse at one of the hospitals in L.A.
PA has a pretty horrid economy too. Very tough to find a job. That's why I had to work at McDs for so long.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgfan View Post
I relocated to be with my wife who has a great paying job as a nurse at one of the hospitals in L.A.
PA has a pretty horrid economy too. Very tough to find a job. That's why I had to work at McDs for so long.
I'm sorry that you're going through this.

CA EDD is the hardest and most difficult in the country to get benefits.

90% of problem posts regarding collecting unemployment and on the internet in general is with CA EDD. They're awful. Horrible.

If you get denied and want a fair hearing to state your case it could take several weeks or months. Ridiculous. If you don't have a financial safety net during that time you could become homeless and lose everything.

See if your wife can get you a job working in her hospital as something.

One thing about LA (southern california in general), it's WHO you know not WHAT you know.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:42 PM

Another thing I learned about Southern CA is that if you're not a Spanish speaker or if you're not. "professional" something, you're basically screwed as far as finding work. Even at McDs. It seems the Mexicans that can barely spit out a word or two in the English language have a stronghold in the job market that doesn't require any degrees. Such a shame.

Old 02-25-2012, 02:51 PM

26 posts, read 54,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

One thing about LA (southern california in general), it's WHO you know not WHAT you know.
Truer words have never been spoken.........Doesn't just apply to Cali either....

I spend most of my time networking with people I know to get my foot in the door......

Old 02-25-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbgfan View Post
Another thing I learned about Southern CA is that if you're not a Spanish speaker or if you're not. "professional" something, you're basically screwed as far as finding work. Even at McDs. It seems the Mexicans that can barely spit out a word or two in the English language have a stronghold in the job market that doesn't require any degrees. Such a shame.
Why don't you try applying as fast food manager rather than a cashier, cook, etc.? You already have the experience. Give it a shot with not only McDonalds, but Burger King, Kentucky Fried, etc.

You also investigate becoming a security guard in the meantime. Most "americans" seem to be able to get this work.

Honestly, I don't know what to tell you, because I feel the Southern Cali job market is garbage and is not improving at all. If I was you, I'd see if your wife can transfer her job to the Bay area (Northern Cali). The job market is way better over there from what I've been told.

Old 02-25-2012, 06:22 PM

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions and advice and just for listening. Please keep it coming. Being out of work and not able to contribute to household expenses is unbelievably depressing. But I can't let it get me too low.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment