Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 PM

13,177 posts, read 21,324,167 times

Advertisements

It will depend on if you are still employed, and where on October 1st 2016.

If your last day is before October 1, you must file in WY.

If your last day was after October 1 and you are working in another state, you will need to do the math (using that state and WY unemployment benefit calculators) to see which pays the best benefit.

If your last day was after October 1 and you are still working in WY, you must file in WY.

You can try and file in OK as a resident but they most likely will kick it back telling you to file in your last state of employment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2016, 06:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,587 times
My employer of the last 10 months in Massachusetts just laid me off in a mass layoff. However, a different location for the same company in New Jersey was running a job advertisement and I asked if I could work there. They told me to apply; however, there was a definite termination and the new position hasn't yet been offered to me.

Here the catch: We own a home in Massachusetts and my wife has a decent job here. So if I take the job in New Jersey, she won't be coming down. In order to be able to pay the mortgage and bills for our home, I will live for free with my stepdaughter who owns a home in nearby Pennsylvania and commute about 1:45 to and from New Jersey.

Once I accept this offer, have I given up any rights to collect future unemployment from Massachusetts, since by accepting a new position I have established a precedent for what is "suitable" employment? This would come into play if after a few months of living through this crazy 4 hours-a-day commute and working out of state from my family, I end up quitting.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:17 PM

25,623 posts, read 56,793,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rru2s View Post
My employer of the last 10 months in Massachusetts just laid me off in a mass layoff. However, a different location for the same company in New Jersey was running a job advertisement and I asked if I could work there. They told me to apply; however, there was a definite termination and the new position hasn't yet been offered to me.

Here the catch: We own a home in Massachusetts and my wife has a decent job here. So if I take the job in New Jersey, she won't be coming down. In order to be able to pay the mortgage and bills for our home, I will live for free with my stepdaughter who owns a home in nearby Pennsylvania and commute about 1:45 to and from New Jersey.

Once I accept this offer, have I given up any rights to collect future unemployment from Massachusetts, since by accepting a new position I have established a precedent for what is "suitable" employment? This would come into play if after a few months of living through this crazy 4 hours-a-day commute and working out of state from my family, I end up quitting.
What you should do, right now, is apply for the MA claim - whether or not you get the job in NJ. That secures those wages in your base period and the claim will be there for you to draw on if the NJ job doesn't materialize or you are let go. It can take MA a long time to get claims processed, so start now.

Know that, however, you can't quit "just because" once you take the NJ job. You need a good reason. Inconvenience - when you went in knowing the distance might be an issue is not a good reason. Now, if you're discharged, that's another story.

If you lose the NJ job, you REOPEN the existing MA claim. When that's exhausted, you apply in NJ for a combined-wage claim which will use NJ wages and whatever remains of MA earnings.

Get that MA claim going now.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:26 PM

14,493 posts, read 31,277,743 times
There's no try-before-you-buy in UI. Once you take that job, it's yours, and to leave it is a new separation issue. You best think long and hard if you want to do this to yourself.

You can absolutely refuse it if offered. "Too far" is a good reason to refuse, but it's not a good reason to quit when you knew what you were bargaining for.

Old 10-06-2016, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 1,587 times
I was afraid it would be construed as accepting suitable employment. My hope was that business here in Massachusetts might pick up again and I could then transfer back. If not, I just keep on applying WHILE I still have a job and hopefully having a current job increases my chances of landing a new job. I am now up to 305 job applications in 3.5 years. I never stopped looking and applying over the last 10 months at this new job. With each successive layoff my resume looks worse for having been let go.

Last edited by rru2s; 10-06-2016 at 08:19 PM..

Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 PM

1 posts, read 433 times
I exhausted my CA unemployment claim last year. Then I picked up a job earning 10k in CA, but the company was headquartered in NY. NY i listed as the company location on my pay stubs.

I am now trying to get unemployment in NY to pay for the 5 weeks I had no benefits until I found my next job. I read that if you work for a NY company out of state, and are not eligible for benefits in the state you worked - then NY will.

Any advice on this? I found documentation and can't refind it.

Old 05-22-2019, 09:34 PM

14,493 posts, read 31,277,743 times
You're going to have to tell your story better with DATES of your claims and employment starting from the day you lost your job going forward to now with claiming history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeispower11 View Post
I am now trying to get unemployment in NY to pay for the 5 weeks I had no benefits until I found my next job.
This sounds like you're trying to claim into the past, and that's a no-no with some exceptions. You might have one if you can successfully get a multistate claim, but the timing is tight, and it would have required you to apply again in CA and have had them tell you, "no."

If you were just out of work for 5 weeks, and only discovered this, then no, the odds of getting paid for weeks in the past is exceedingly low.

Old 12-14-2020, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 1,636 times
HELP! I live in Florida, worked in NY and NJ and my employer is in CT. CT told me to file where I worked, FL told me to file where I worked, so I filed in NJ because I had worked there the most. NJ started paying me then stopped. They wanted the money back and told me to file in FL because my employer lied and told NJ that I had also worked in FL. (I had not) and also it was the cheapest for my employer to pay into. I've been trying to get this situation fixed since March 29, 2020. My employer refuses to call FL and tell them to send the money to NJ. I can't get anyone from NJ on the phone that can fix this. Can anyone please help me or guide me to what I should do. I cannot appeal NJ decision until a monetary decision is done and they won't do it since they think I worked in FL! I am on the edge of suicide!

Old 12-14-2020, 06:57 PM

3,259 posts, read 2,806,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW6850 View Post
HELP! I live in Florida, worked in NY and NJ and my employer is in CT. CT told me to file where I worked, FL told me to file where I worked, so I filed in NJ because I had worked there the most. NJ started paying me then stopped. They wanted the money back and told me to file in FL because my employer lied and told NJ that I had also worked in FL. (I had not) and also it was the cheapest for my employer to pay into. I've been trying to get this situation fixed since March 29, 2020. My employer refuses to call FL and tell them to send the money to NJ. I can't get anyone from NJ on the phone that can fix this. Can anyone please help me or guide me to what I should do. I cannot appeal NJ decision until a monetary decision is done and they won't do it since they think I worked in FL! I am on the edge of suicide!
Have you tried emailing RonaldMarino@dol.nj.gov or RobertLewis@dol.nj.gov.. list your claimant ID, name, contact info, date of claim and short recap of your problem. Also any legislators that you can get involved in your case. This is ridiculous that they've tossed you back and forth like a ping pong ball and not a dime since March. do your pay stubs show you had UI taxes taken out for NJ?

Old 12-14-2020, 08:50 PM

13,177 posts, read 21,324,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW6850 View Post
I cannot appeal NJ decision until a monetary decision is done and they won't do it since they think I worked in FL!

1. How did you learn your payments were stopping?
2. How did you learn you had to repay the money?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment