Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2010, 08:31 PM

22 posts, read 68,485 times

Advertisements

I live in New Jersey. From January 2009 - April 2010 I worked full time in retail. In October of 2009 I was hospitalized for a serious and rare condition I didn't know I had, and I had temporary disability for a month. In May 2010 I left my job because I couldn't deal with the late nights and standing all the time. I moved 40 miles away and started working temp jobs in the beginning of July. Since August I have been working the same long-term temp job. They haven't formally offered a position but have mentioned offhand that coming to work for them is an option. I am afraid if I do so, I will have problems because of my frequent doctor appointments (at least once a month).

I know I worked the base weeks necessary and met the income requirement for unemployment. My question is, if I am laid off from the temp job do I qualify for UI even though I left my previous job voluntarily due to discomfort and an impending move? Also, if I am laid off from this job, and get another short-term temp job, where does that leave me?

Does anyone anywhere have a similar experience?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 01:46 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,684,796 times
Usually, if you get laid off, you will probably qualify for unemployment compensation. A prior job probably won't matter because they will most likely bill your current employer's account if you get laid off.

If you can make more by providing labor input to the economy, why would you want to make less on unemployment, all things being equal? If you get another temp. job, why would you need unemployment? You shouldn't have to deal with the public sector if you can still find work.

In many cases, if you voluntarily quit without cause, you may be denied unemployment compensation. In a case where you get laid off and need to take some time off for personal reasons, then you may want to consider unemployment compensation. However, since unemployment compensation, as we currently know it, is not an adequate social safety net, you may want to only do that as a last resort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment