Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2011, 04:09 PM

1 posts, read 2,195 times

Advertisements

Hello to all:

I am hoping someone can answer my question. I was employed from Oct 2009 until May 2010. I applied for unemployment on 05/09/2010. My base period was from Jan 09 till dec 09. I earned $8410 in wages that year and received $324 a week for 13 weeks for a total of $4206. I did not get my extension due to the fact that I didn’t have earnings in excess of 40 times my weekly benefit amount or 1.5 times the highest quarter. My problem is that I was told that if I file a second claim in May of 2011, I will not be eligible for unemployment benefits for the Jan 09 through May 2010 unless I had been employed again after my original claim which I have not been. Is there anything I can do to get any more benefits? It seems very shady that if I waited for a few my months, my base period would have changed and I would have received $401 dollars plus been able to receive extensions. Has anyone been through this or have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any feedback.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 04:42 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,549,282 times
You are not alone. Sadly, most unemployment reps do not discuss the possible advantages of waiting a few weeks nor explain how to navigate the system to the newly unemployed. Claimants experienced with the system know that sometimes it is to their advantage to wait until the next quarter to file for benefits. Can't offer you much consolation, I am sorry to say.

You could file an appeal with the CA EDD stating that the reps did not inform that by waiting a few weeks you would have qualified for benefits for a substantially longer period of time. If by some remote chance CA finds in your favor, they may ask you to repay what you have received so far, or at least the net amount, before recalculating your benefit. It might be worth a try. Not sure if this is doable. Just a thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment