Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:20 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times

Advertisements

I've been told that you don't have to list where you've looked for work on the back of the claim form unless the X in the box where it says, "Did you look for work?" is checked. I don't fill out the back, and have never had a problem. But I keep records of where I've looked for work, because I turn them in every month to my case manager at the Career Center.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 PM

986 posts, read 2,507,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antrob View Post
If you aren't looking for "at least" the bare minimum amount of jobs per week you don't deserve benefits. This is why alot of people are mad that unemployment is going to be extended (hopefully).

You are giving the naysayers a reason to say that there are people who are taking advantage of the system. If you have to apply to a job that isn't in your field, do it. You can't be picky in this environment. And if you don't, don't cry when benefits dry up and your screaming for a 5th tier.

This isn't a knock on people who ran out of benefits trying to look for work. This is only for people who don't want to go outside the box.
I agree with your moral position, but the reality of a wage that's a third or even a half lower than what you're used to makes it not so simple to ditch years of experience (high-tech specialty work). I don't relish getting stuck in a job that I'll want to quit ASAP anyhow. It's not just some casual thing to change careers, but it makes easy commentary when one isn't in the same boat. I've always found it very impractical to look for another job while being employed (full-time).

I'd also like to see an economy that isn't based on endless growth and relentless competition for shrinking resources. There are a lot of reasons why begging for work is unnatural, and many "honest" jobs themselves are just pyramid schemes that leech off the world much more than unemployed people.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:20 AM

140 posts, read 612,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ca_north View Post
I agree with your moral position, but the reality of a wage that's a third or even a half lower than what you're used to makes it not so simple to ditch years of experience (high-tech specialty work). I don't relish getting stuck in a job that I'll want to quit ASAP anyhow. It's not just some casual thing to change careers, but it makes easy commentary when one isn't in the same boat. I've always found it very impractical to look for another job while being employed (full-time).
Amen to that brother (or sister)

Add to that the fact that you KNOW you've been having a hard time as it is making 40K a year in Silicon Valley when working. I took a job paying half that, got fired after 3 months (long story) and my benefits were way reduced and it disqualified me from collecting CA Fed-Ed. Plus I had to sell everything I owned, my car got repossesed, etc. So many things that you just don't think about if you are not in said same boat!

Old 12-15-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I've been told that you don't have to list where you've looked for work on the back of the claim form unless the X in the box where it says, "Did you look for work?" is checked. I don't fill out the back, and have never had a problem. But I keep records of where I've looked for work, because I turn them in every month to my case manager at the Career Center.
Well, it's a given that the box was checked (now), but it remained unchecked until FED-ED kicked in.

Old 12-15-2010, 12:50 PM

Default (white) brother here

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelebelle View Post
Amen to that brother (or sister)

Add to that the fact that you KNOW you've been having a hard time as it is making 40K a year in Silicon Valley when working. I took a job paying half that, got fired after 3 months (long story) and my benefits were way reduced and it disqualified me from collecting CA Fed-Ed. Plus I had to sell everything I owned, my car got repossesed, etc. So many things that you just don't think about if you are not in said same boat!
Your situation was tougher than mine but it's definitely hard to drop down a level or three from a psychological viewpoint, even if the money stays adequate.

I think stories of CEOs reduced to flipping burgers are extreme flukes. But I tend to admire people who take jobs I couldn't deal with at any wage; like the police.

I take no pride in being on assistance. It just is what it is, and the natural tendency is to improve one's position over time, even if there's no guarantee.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:49 AM

15,128 posts, read 32,307,461 times
Quote:
Well, it's a given that the box was checked (now), but it remained unchecked until FED-ED kicked in.
Mine has never been checked, and if it does happen to be checked, I'll give EDD the information that they want. As of January 1, I'll be filing for my third claim, I have one check left for this year.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:28 PM

189 posts, read 966,658 times
It's possible that they will only check that box one time due to the fact that you're just starting to get the FED-ED, but may not require you to list your job contacts after that. I think when you're unemployed for the long-term, they sometimes check up on you to make sure that you're actually looking for work. And, I think it depends on the type of work you do and the industry you're in.

For me, it's very hard to find jobs that fit my qualifications and there are practically no jobs available in my field at all. I do scrounge up part-time work now and then and am applying for all manner of jobs. However, I think I can scare up at least 3 contacts a week, if I knew I would have to list them. Sometimes, I make even more than that. But, I try to apply for jobs that I actually can do and am qualified for, not just anything that would meet the job search requirements. It's not fair to the employers, also, for you to waste their time by cluttering their desk with an application that clearly says that you don't meet the requirements of the job.

I don't think it's fair to judge people based on how many contacts they make a week. Some people just don't have a lot of luck.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:02 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Your situation was tougher than mine but it's definitely hard to drop down a level or three from a psychological viewpoint, even if the money stays adequate.
Meh... I thought that too, until I realized there were no "suitable" offers in sight. So I swallowed my pride, started applying for step-down jobs (still within my field), and finally got a decent offer! Even with the slight reduction in pay and position, it just feels great to be working again. My boss has also implied that if I stick it out through probation (6 months), there's a good chance of increased salary, hours and/or title. I'm not suggesting you start applying at $7/hr jobs, but lowering your standards might help - in fact, it might be your only option once that FED-ED reaches its expiration.

Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 AM

189 posts, read 966,658 times
For me, I've been applying for a wide range of jobs that could use my skills because there are just no jobs left in my field right now. I am a library assistant and just about everywhere libraries are in trouble. I would have a better chance if I had a master's degree in library science, but I'm already in debt from my last graduate school and I'm not going to get even further in debt for yet another job that won't be there when I'm done.

So, I am applying for other work that maybe pays half of what I used to get. But, I'm having no luck, still. I just gotta find a way to convince employers my skills are transferable to their job.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 8,220,186 times
I agree with the above poster, I am applying for almost everything and I am a clerical worker. I have applied for 15 jobs in the last week and half, and that is spending 4 hours a day on the computer. I am about ready to go out and cold call offices and other opportunities in the local area.

If you can't send out 3 resumes a week you may want to tone down your job expectations. What will you do when the benefits are gone and you still do not have a position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment