Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 07:02 AM

11 posts, read 20,422 times

Advertisements

Expiration of Unemployment Insurance Programs, Employment & Training Administration (ETA) - U.S. Department of Labor

Quote:
After May 29, 2010 (in NY, May 30, 2010), individuals beginning to claim regular state UC may NOT receive FAC.

Individuals currently receiving FAC in conjunction with regular state UC, EUC, EB, or certain other unemployment programs may continue to receive FAC until December 11, 2010 (in NY, December 12, 2010).

In general, if an FAC recipient transitions to a new unemployment program (e.g. from regular state UC to EB), the individual may continue to receive FAC until December 11, 2010 (in NY, December 12, 2010).
Quote:
25 states (AL, AZ, CA, CO, DE, FL, GA, ID, IL, IN, KY, ME, MA, MI, MO, NV, NY, OH, PA, SC, TN, TX, VA, WV, WI) and DC amended their laws to temporarily make EB available. These provisions expire at different times in different states. When the temporary provisions expire, EB will no longer be available under permanent law in any of these states. In all of the above states, with the exception of Massachusetts and Michigan, EB availability ceased by June 12, 2010. In Massachusetts, EB was not available after June 26, 2010, and in Michigan it will not be available after July 3, 2010. Unlike EUC, when the EB program ends in a state, current EB recipients may NOT continue to receive EB payments during a "phase-out" period. All EB eligibility ends.
States will notify current EB claimants when EB payments will end.

As of June 20, 2010, in 12 states (AK, CT, KS, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NC, OR, RI, VT, WA) and Puerto Rico, EB is available under permanent provisions of their law. Current EB recipients in these states may continue to collect their remaining EB entitlement as long as EB remains payable in the state.
However, permanent EB law requires that individuals exiting the regular state UC or EUC program have an active benefit year to be eligible for EB.

Thus, in general, individuals who have been unemployed for at least 52 weeks since initially filing a claim for regular state UC will not be eligible for EB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM

19 posts, read 41,047 times
can someone please explain those last two sentences above please? i am in the middle of collecting tier 3 from NJ, and have not worked since my initial clam. if i am unable to find work, i would exhaust the tiers and begin EB sometime in early october. do the above sentences mean i will not be eligible for EB?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:26 AM

49 posts, read 188,847 times
huh? I am in NJ and just entered Tier 4. According to NJ law as far as I knew, I'd go on to EB after my Tier 4 is up.

Now this thing is saying if it's been 52 weeks since I started regular unemployment, that I can't get EB? I don't get it. I am way past my 52 weeks. It's been about a year and a half for me.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_earth View Post
huh? I am in NJ and just entered Tier 4. According to NJ law as far as I knew, I'd go on to EB after my Tier 4 is up.

Now this thing is saying if it's been 52 weeks since I started regular unemployment, that I can't get EB? I don't get it. I am way past my 52 weeks. It's been about a year and a half for me.
As of June 20, 2010, in 12 states (AK, CT, KS, MN, NH, NJ, NM, NC, OR, RI, VT, WA) and Puerto Rico, EB is available under permanent provisions of their law. Current EB recipients in these states may continue to collect their remaining EB entitlement as long as EB remains payable in the state.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 AM

87 posts, read 282,568 times
In Georgia, yes, EB stopped on June 12th, but that was because 100% federal funding had ceased. What will happen is, once this bill is passed, Federal funding will be 100% again and people here can continue with however many weeks they had left on their EB. And another poster here called Ga DOL and they told her that EB payments would be retroactive back to June.

It's different than EUC, where say you're on Tier 3 and you had only used 3 weeks up when the June deadline happened, you could still collect the remaining 10 weeks, you just couldn't go on to Tier 4 without new legislation being passed.

The last sentence is confusing as well, considering the fact that for anyone to even get to EB status, they would have had to have been unemployed for 79 weeks. I was eligible for EB in May of this year, after not having worked since November of 2008. That was way past 52 weeks and I still received EB.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:13 AM

91 posts, read 177,119 times
That IS confusing. I file for my last Tier IV check in NJ next week. Since I live in PA and am an interstate claimant, I know that I am supposed to get EB benefits from PA after 2 weeks of getting them from NJ. PA's Unemployment site says:
Unless full federal funding is reauthorized by Congress, the Extended Benefits (EB) program is no longer in effect in Pennsylvania for any claim weeks after the week ending June 5, 2010. If Congress acts to continue full federal funding of EB benefits, the Department of Labor & Industry is prepared to quickly reestablish the EB program. Claimants who had weeks of EB eligibility remaining when the program expired should continue filing their weekly paper claim forms as they have been. While this does not guarantee that these claims will be paid, continued filing will help to expedite processing of claims once funding of the program is reauthorized.

Since that is what is being voted on in the House today, doesn't that mean I will still get EB from PA once the President signs the bill?

Old 07-22-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwharff View Post
That IS confusing. I file for my last Tier IV check in NJ next week. Since I live in PA and am an interstate claimant, I know that I am supposed to get EB benefits from PA after 2 weeks of getting them from NJ. PA's Unemployment site says:
Unless full federal funding is reauthorized by Congress, the Extended Benefits (EB) program is no longer in effect in Pennsylvania for any claim weeks after the week ending June 5, 2010. If Congress acts to continue full federal funding of EB benefits, the Department of Labor & Industry is prepared to quickly reestablish the EB program. Claimants who had weeks of EB eligibility remaining when the program expired should continue filing their weekly paper claim forms as they have been. While this does not guarantee that these claims will be paid, continued filing will help to expedite processing of claims once funding of the program is reauthorized.

Since that is what is being voted on in the House today, doesn't that mean I will still get EB from PA once the President signs the bill?
Yeah, just keep filing. The Georgia DOL website basically said the same thing, to keep filing. It sounds like PA hasn't decided whether to pay retroactively or not, but that once the law passes, if you have EB weeks left, they will begin processing those.

Either way, you should be getting something.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:26 AM

The key sentence that was left out from the information above is this:

"However, permanent EB law requires that individuals exiting the regular state UC or EUC program have an active benefit year to be eligible for EB."

To even have gotten to EB, you would have had to re-apply for a new benefit year to begin with, because by the time you're in Tier 4, you're 73 weeks in to unemployment, which means that around 21 weeks before Tier 4, you would have had to recertify with your state, making it a new "active benefit year".

As an example, last November, I had to "recertify" with the state because my benefit year had ended. So I'm currently in a new benefit year that will expire this coming November. Because EB fell within those 12 months, I will be able to collect it.

It sounds like for EB, one has to be in an active benefit year. IOW, you couldn't burn all your tiers from over a year ago (not even sure if that's possible), have been out of work for a year, not be in a benefit year for UI and then get EB.

I hope that makes sense.

Last edited by Cochran; 07-22-2010 at 09:43 AM..

Old 07-22-2010, 10:02 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,003,137 times
I have a quick question. I've been unemployed since Nov. Exhausted my regular benefits the first week of July. I was receiving the extra $25 a week. I've started the EB in MN and they aren't paying the $25 extra a week. When this extension passes and MN switches me to Tier 1 from EB will I still get the extra $25 a week or not? It's not that bad if I don't because I cancelled my cell phone which was $70 a month and I can spend $30 a month less in groceries, just wondering.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:09 AM

molochai2580, I honestly have no idea. Kentucky's website claims different than the federal website I quoted above:

http://www.oet.ky.gov/ui/unemploymentextensionbill.pdf (broken link)

Quote:
Q. Is the $25 Federal Additional Compensation check in the legislation?
A. No. The bill contains the following: (1) an extension of EUC through November; (2) an
extension of EB federal funding though November; (3) the so called "EUC benefit year
fix" so that workers are not penalized for taking temporary jobs; (4) the non‐reduction
rule will be tied to EUC instead of FAC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment