Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2010, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,903 times

Advertisements

Hi There!

So I've been watching and reading this forum for some time now since I became Unemployed December 11th, 2009 for the first time in 8 years. I was terminated by my employer of 4 years for not making my Sales quota for a week, to which I was never informed of not making it nor was that the reason I was fired - More or less, That's the reason they gave unemployment and Here I am, 23 years old with pockets full of Retail Sales experience / IT profession but alas, Without a job. The problem is, I came from a commission retail job to where I was making about $1,500 every two weeks from what I sold and what I fixed - To be offered $8.25 an hour by a Retail Big Box store until they reconsidered my application to be 'Overqualified." It's a pretty big case of Bull to be told that, but it isn't the first time. Regardless, That's a smidgen of my background.

I just thought I'd update some people in IL on the things I've been going through and my current position with Unemployment. I go to the local Office about once a week, and more then that now that I have just exhausted my benefits. I'm From Will County, IL - And the local office is in Joliet to which I'm in and out of that town about 3 times a week so having to go to said office isn't terrible and luckily, The case-worker I deal with is for once, an actual joy and very smart man. Today I stopped in with regards to how I go about my certification now that I've exhausted my benefits but am unable to certify online, so if this bill does pass, Can I be retro'd the money be it so I'm unable to certify?

In case you have already exhausted your benefits here, You will need to continue to certify. Seeing as I only use the IDES website to certify on Mondays Bi-Weekly, The Web-site doesn't permit me to certify due to my exhaustion. With that being said, There's two ways you can go about it. You can use Teleserve to try and certify and if that fails you, Then you've to go to the Unemployment office in your Local Area and they will 'Pink Slip' you a certification. If the bill does pass ( More or less, WHEN is passes, Let's say) The money in which you should have received will be directly give to you, Without it being Pro-Rated or only some of the money being given over a long period of time. So thus, any money you had coming will be given to you in a large lump-sum, as it were.

Seeing as the Senate may not move on this bill till July 12th or so - God only knows when it'll be finalized, I asked him if I was able to work or find a side job for a few weeks while I wait for this bill. His response was such:

"You are able to collect up to $400 while you are not receiving a compensation check from us, However, You will be required to claim that on your certification. Any amount over $400 will disqualify you for future benefits ( As in, for me, The step into Tier 1 ) - The way we see it is, If you are able to make $400 in the next 2 weeks, then you obviously do not require the assistance program we offer."

Granted, I don't plan on making $400 over the next few weeks, but If I do, then to hell with this guessing game of a bill!

I also had inquired to schooling and what the situation was with how many hours I'm able to go. In the Summer, He says that they prefer you only to attend school 3 hours a week. Anything over may compromise your rights to the compensation you are currently receiving. However, I was told that In the fall, I'm able to go 6 hours and for the degree I'm going for which is Paramedic / EMT - I am allowed to attend school for 8 hours a week, be it so my classes are all at night. It differs by the profession / Degree you are seeking, but the more upfront and honest you are with them, The more they're willing to help. I asked a loaded question of, "Well, what if I just go to school for 15 hours a week and not tell you?" His response to that was, "Oh trust me. They'll find out somehow and you'll have to pay all that money back." So I guess I wouldn't suggest going that route.

With my income on Unemployment being $539 after taxes every two weeks, I was allowed to apply for Food Stamps, also. The going rate for someone who lives with ( More or less, I live with 11 people and it's a complicated mess - But I haven't the time to explain that one ) 4 people as I claimed, is $250 a month in EBT. They load it on the first of the month and you can use that to get groceries. So $250 was given to me to buy food for my household of people, and if You've children in the home you can get more. It's all about your dependents. You can also ask them for cash assistance. They'll offer you about $50 a month in cash, but that's better then nothing. It puts gas in the car or keeps your electric on.

Another source of funding to get food is the local WIC office. They are more then happy to give you coupons for Milk, Bread, Tortillas and Corn - To which you take to your local grocer and they will accept them. Again, this is if you have children that depend on you. I'm not in that situation, but my Sister whom I live with is and being as I'm only one out of two people in this 11 person household who can drive and has a car, I can give you every bit of information as to how to go about getting things off of federal aide.

Above anything then, please try your best to be honest with these people. They can tell right off the bat if you're dodging answers or if they even suspect your lying, They'll toss your case out. This can mean the difference between eating and not eating, Getting the help you want and need. Understandably, they're employed and making money - But don't take your anger out on the person sitting behind the desk. It's not their fault, but they sure as hell can make your life alot easier if you're willing to treat them civilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment