Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:14 PM

30 posts, read 386,000 times

Advertisements

Was shocked that she gained back so much weight! Was wondering where she's been after she stopped appearing on the Jenny Craig commercials & left it to Valerie Bertinelli (who looks unbelievably amazing at her age in those bikini commercials/photos! anyone know if plastic surgery was involved?)

I'm not really a "catty" person, I'm a woman who's struggled with being overweight myself all my life, but Kirstie sounded really totally undisciplined, loony, off the wall, wacky! Anyone else think so? I always wonder, with all the advantages wealthy people like Kirstie Alley have, wouldn't it be easier for them to keep off the weight, stay in shape? With all the private chefs, personal trainers, workout equipment & access to spas that money can buy?

Of course, then again, there's Oprah, super-rich, with her very public history of weight loss battles. BTW, I hardly ever watch the Oprah TV show, though I love her magazine, but saw the commercials for Kirstie being on it. Also found the segment with the extremely overweight man very interesting-- did anyone notice how sane, upbeat & hopeful he sounded despite how extreme his case is?! Maybe they should pair up him & Kirstie as Diet Partners?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,012,909 times
Yes, I saw it and I agree with you. Kirstie did seem somewhat loopy. I also agree with you regarding her/your/my/Oprah's struggle with weight. It's always been my contention that, if rich celebrities, with ALL those things aat their disposal can't just "drop" weight and keep it off, there HAS to be more to overweight than just overeating.

And I'm not talking about emotional. I strongly believe there is a physical (or perhaps chemical) difference between way thinner people process food and the way those prone to overweight do. Sure, quantity and quality count, but there's got to be another piece to the puzzle...

Anyway, yes, it was an interesting segment. The whole second half with Michael was incredible. I'm amazed at his resilience. Not sure I would be as strong. I hope I would.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:52 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,337,637 times
of course there is more to being overweight than just overeating. I was 250 pounds in 2002, I didn't get that fat because I was hungry! Lost 80 pounds in 2003 and have to struggle every blessed day to keep it off.

Kirstie has always been loopy. She hasn't done JC ads in a long time. I empathize with anyone who fights the fat battle, it sucks no matter who you are and how much money you have.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
I have no problem with Kirsty's weight, but that BLEACHED BLOND hair has GOT to go - YUCK. She looked like a cheap hooker.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:06 PM

1,788 posts, read 4,756,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttw View Post
Was shocked that she gained back so much weight! Was wondering where she's been after she stopped appearing on the Jenny Craig commercials & left it to Valerie Bertinelli (who looks unbelievably amazing at her age in those bikini commercials/photos! anyone know if plastic surgery was involved?)
Well, how do you expect her to get another lucrative weight-loss contract if she doesn't chub up again?

Old 04-30-2009, 06:08 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times
Kirstie has gotten more and more loopy as her years in Scientology progress. She probably needs to be in medication to aid her mental instability. However Scientology won't allow for that.
I find it really hard to conjour up pity for someone overweight. It didn't happen overnight. At some point,early on, the person has to look in the mirror and think, "Oh I need to lose a few pounds"; then do so.
Why would someone wait until they are even 50+ pounds over their ideal weight before taking stock of the situation??
Ok, I'm thin by nature, so have NO clue what it's like to have a weight issue, other than the inability to gain weight. No one has ANY pity for those of us with that issue, which is probably why I feel the way I do.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:24 PM

137 posts, read 474,805 times
I like KA. I think she is loopy and very cool. She is honest, which is the most important thing in life and to oneself.
I do think people can wake up and be shocked to see themselves really overweight. I went to the doctor in March and did not believe I had gained 15 pounds in about 5 years. Where did it come from? I knew my clothes didn't fit right and that my age (40) was catching up, but I didn't get that I WAS FAT! I saw pictures and thought they were bad days!!!
So, I am working so hard at losing the weight. What is so different from me and other people? Thank goodness I figured it out in 5 years, but it could have taken longer if I was a bit more off centered or maybe just not as aware.
I totally get the issue with difficulty gaining weight---I have been on both sides. However, it is less socially acceptable to be the one who needs to lose weight. Skinny is so unhealthy too, though, if it does not equal nutrition and exercise. All in all, weight and body health is not the same thing. Health is about nutrition and weight and good habits. And I also work at it every day and I admire all of us who have to think and work so hard to make it right.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 AM

30 posts, read 386,000 times
I also have let time go by, not weighed myself & then discover I've gained 20 pounds -- happened to me during the past year! Just surprised that anyone who's a celebrity in the public eye would let that happen!

BTW, did anyone see ET later yesterday where Valerie Bertinelli responded to the Kirsty A. interview? She was very gracious, gave Kirstie lots of credit for motivating her when she needed it & said she's sure that Kirstie will make a comeback.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:14 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,094,032 times
well i read an article somewhere that stated her divorce wiped her out financially and mentally . I think she needs to take some meds to even out her mental instability she was kind loopy . I feel sorry for people who have weight issues . I had weight issues in high school and jr high school cause my mother was so very thin and she used to call me piggy all the time . One of her friends said "would'nt you rather be called twigy than piggy " and they both laughed . they were both alcholics so I did not care . I had very low self esteem .My mother refused to buy me a prom gown cause she said it was a waist of money and so missed jr and sr prom . she said I was too fat and she did not have the money to waiste. I am sure we all have had our issues with weight . I lost 50 lbs last year and am still losing and I am glad of it . so good luck to all and it can be done .

Old 05-01-2009, 07:11 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,909 times
I saw that show yesterday and agree that the blond hair really doesn't work for her. regarding the weight gain, I believe the explanation that she gave..her contract with Jenny was done, and she thought that is was ok to stop the daily weigh ins, give up the exercise etc. when you struggle with your weight, you don't see the pounds until they are in a large number. they just creep up on you. I think the only way to stay thin after losing the weight is to weigh yourself every day. she was loopy, but I think she always is loopy. she didn't really blame anyone or anything for her problem. she did say she had recently lost 20 lbs. and was working on her own weightloss plan/program and would be a much-improved version of herself by November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV