Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 09:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times

Advertisements

Sitcoms aren't generally my favorite genre, but I did catch the premiere of this show, and thought the premise was cute (the fellow who plays her biokid is the best thing about the show). I also liked the rest of the cast, which surprised me because I couldn't stand Kramer on Seinfeld.

That said, it's already jumped the shark with the promos I'm seeing of Kathy Griffin appearing on the next episode. Usually, this happens at the end of a show's run--the family "adopts" people, they win the lottery, every has-been makes an appearance as if it were Love Boat/Fantasy Island...

IMO, the next episode looks like it's simply a vehicle for Kathy Griffin's crude jokes. Oh well. The first couple of shows were good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:15 AM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
They also had Cloris Leachman on as her mother. I didn't watch that one, but the previews looked pretty lame, and Cloris Leachman looked almost unrecognizable.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:30 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymystic View Post
They also had Cloris Leachman on as her mother. I didn't watch that one, but the previews looked pretty lame, and Cloris Leachman looked almost unrecognizable.
I wasn't impressed with that, either. Today's elderly actresses seem to be resurrected only to be grumpy old characters or to sashay into the room saying bad words (think Betty White). Same-old same-old.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:54 PM

18,473 posts, read 31,648,692 times
I find her really ugly to look at, I wouldn't watch her on that alone. Besides, I find nothing funny about her at all. The whole concept of the show is dumb, I saw one episode.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:54 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I find her really ugly to look at, I wouldn't watch her on that alone. Besides, I find nothing funny about her at all. The whole concept of the show is dumb, I saw one episode.
Well, Kirstie, pack it in, nightcrawler thinks you're too ugly for TV.

I was only interested in checking the show out because of the Kirstie Alley & Rhea Pearlman Cheers connection, and then the return to TV of Michael Richards. The first episode surprised me in the "it's not as bad as I thought it would be" also I was kinda shocked by just how frumpy, and plain her kid is. I had low expectations overall and it was better than I thought it would be, but I haven't watched it since the first one.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:27 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,536,965 times
The best part that I saw was when the son complimented her on her hairdo, said it looked like Marge Simpson's!

Old 12-28-2013, 04:15 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
Well, Kirstie, pack it in, nightcrawler thinks you're too ugly for TV.

I was only interested in checking the show out because of the Kirstie Alley & Rhea Pearlman Cheers connection, and then the return to TV of Michael Richards. The first episode surprised me in the "it's not as bad as I thought it would be" also I was kinda shocked by just how frumpy, and plain her kid is. I had low expectations overall and it was better than I thought it would be, but I haven't watched it since the first one.
Well -- they are dressing her tragically bad. She wears one style of clothing in many colors and they are dressing her like she's hugely grossly fat. And she's constantly showing her bra tops.

I tried -- but it's just an awful show.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
I dont want to say its bad or anything negative like that, but what bothers me about it is this might be TV Land's Jump the Shark moment where they move in a direction completely different than what people like them for, like Discovery, TLC and others have done. I understand using stars from older shows to create a new one, but to me, Im disappointed that they didn't just adding another great old show to their line-up and leave the new show creation to someone else

Old 12-28-2013, 10:29 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,438,920 times
I wanted to like the show because of both Cheers and Seinfeld. But the writing is so bad that I could stomach only two episodes. I do agree that the guy who plays her son is great.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:11 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
I'm a fan of TVLand's sitcoms, but this isn't doing anything for me. Unlike their other hits (Hot in Cleveland, The Exes, etc) which find humor in everyday situations (hence... "sitcoms"), Kirstie seems to find humor in people being stupid. And mean to each other. They spend 28 minutes being mean, then in the last couple minutes rediscover their love for each other. That ain't cutting it for me.

Characters:

Kirstie--plays such a selfish character it's hard to like her.

Kramer--still funny, even though he's playing the same character.

Rhea Perlman--funny no matter what she plays.

The Kid--terribly miscast. Had they cast someone better for this role, it might have made this show watchable. He's supposed to be this lovable doofus, but to me he just comes off as dumb.

I'm still watching, as sitcoms often take a few episodes to "mature". But this one is on thin ice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV