Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2009, 11:08 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,387,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I was surprised at how badly some groups did last night. My wife (who makes me watch) doesn't understand how you can practice all night and forget the words. I think it's nerves. I mean, these are not obscure songs they're singing.
I'm not surprised at all. When he said he had been up all night, I knew he'd have a problem.

Paraphrased from my research on sleep deprivation (I research it for work)
Dr. Rafael Pelayo of Stanford University's Sleep Disorder Clinic, "Sleep deprivation is dangerous."

He listed the symptoms for Healthology Inc.:
This is what happens to your body if it's deprived of sleep:

* problems with memory and concentration.
* problems finding the right word.
* irritability
* neurotransmitters in the brain are altered.
* children's growth is stunted.
* more susceptible to infection.
* ageing is accelerated
* At its extreme, sleep deprivation can lead to death.

Eight hours of sleep has long been considered the optimum amount you should get. Most of us don't do that, and over time we build a sleep deficit. Be careful how much sleep you lose on a regular basis. If you sleep six hours a night, that's too little and eventually could lead to sleep deprivation, according to researchers from the Penn State College of Medicine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,541,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Also, country music and country singers should have their own A.I. show. Nothing brings the show down like having someone sing country music. You dont need a good voice to sing country, you just need that "twang" and sing about farm, horses, trucks and dogs and country people will vote for you even if you suck.

And and yes, we all know how well you need to be able to sing "Pop". And if you're real lucky you'll get a good sound guy to make you sound good....think either Simpson.

You don't even need to know more that 5 words to sing POP, it's the same words over and over and over and over. But hey....at least you won't actually have to tell a story with a song. So let's not bring down a show where different genres are welcome. Let's just stick to the mindless pop.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:02 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,272,051 times
I like Danny as well. Something about him (that has nothing to do with his wife's passing). He is good.

The little petite blonde/orange hair girl. I think that's Alexis Grace...not sure. I don't pay much attention to names, just their music. Can she sing the blues or what ? She is my favorite as of right now. About time they found a blues singer. She is soooooooooooooo young, too. All that soul.
You go girl...........................what is she 17...19 ??? WOW !!!
She's great !!!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:14 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,698,138 times
I believe she is 21.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:50 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,814,818 times
Yes, Alexis Grace is 21, and man, can she ever belt out a soul song! I LOVED it! I love how she "dirtied herself up" at Randy's suggestion too. Count me in on her fan club.

Old 02-20-2009, 08:30 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,571,229 times
Some of you guys don't get it at all. It is American Idol. It isn't the worlds best singer! It is totally about the whole package. I don't know why people get all up in arms when the best singer doesn't win. There are a zillion good singers out there but it takes something more to sell records. All these kids are good but some of them once they get on stage nerves or whatever take hold. Personally, I think when they select them that they try to get a variety of different people. It would be a boring show if everyone was the same.

Danny and Alexis were clearly the best initially. I was so aggravated when they kept letting Tatiana go through but as annoying as she is, she can certainly sing. I too did not like her attitude though. I was actually torn between her and Ricky.

Anoop, Michael, Ricky, and the other girl with the long hair, they are all good but they were boring, they were not "stars", at least not yet. They do need to step it up a notch.

But Danny and Alexis were the only two that had star power. I liked Danny from the very beginning, before they highlighted his life. I often fast forward through it all anyway. I don't think that factors in much anyway. I don't even remember them spotlighting Carrie Underwood or Chris Daughtry. Perhaps they did but they didn't have too. Wouldn't have made a difference to someone that is really, really, REALLY good.

Regarding country. It has it's place. The problem is, you have to have someone really special to make it - like Underwood. There have been several others that have made it to the top 12. The problem is alot of the songs the country people choose to sing are just not that great. Carrie Underwood picked all kinds of non country songs and put her own spin on it.

Old 02-21-2009, 05:58 PM

958 posts, read 2,133,654 times
This isn't the first season sad stories about a contestant has been exploited or told over and over. I can remember how Fantasia was being heralded as a single mother from the ghetto or the projects and struggling to make life better for her and her baby. After she won, in the face of better competition IMO a tv movie about her life was even made, I think a handful of people aw it. Okay, she wasn't my favorite, far from it. But AI "pimps" every contestant on the show for ratings.

I don't think Danny's wife has much to do with his going through, I was surprised to see the rough neck go through but I won't be surprised to see Tatiana go through as a wild card. As mush as I don't like her she is good tv and the producers will want her back just like "Norman Gentle".
That one is a week early but as weird as the show is this season anything can happen.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:40 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,486,181 times
The thing is everyone has a "sad story" if you search. Maybe not as bad as having a spouse die, but if you dig deep enough they could come up with something for everyone. Personally I would rather just seem them sing and do not want to know about their personal lives. I was surprised the country singer guy went through also. They even did a little story on him, where he was saying he needed this for his family....who wouldnt need it or want it for their family and a chance to make more money then you are making. Tatiana could be the wild card, she has a good enough voice too...but I don't like her attitude and I think that will come into play more so than ever if she made it.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:51 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Here's a little article on our local kid, Jackie Midkiff, that lost out to Nathaniel in the sing off when they chose the 36. It is a brief glimpse into the process of the show from his experiences.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 AM

170 posts, read 453,855 times
Interesting! Thanks for the link Smoky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV