Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2021, 08:57 PM

728 posts, read 303,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
I've been skeptical of her since the beginning. I thought she was/is an opportunist. I think she has successfully pulled the wool over many eyes.

But she certainly is getting a lot of fans on her side. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Personally, I hope they go away quietly. But, I doubt it.

Meghan can go away quietly and take her two kids with her but Harry has royal blood. Even his dead body will be retrieved for burial in England.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:00 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Meghan can go away quietly and take her two kids with her but Harry has royal blood. Even his dead body will be retrieved for burial in England.
Whether or not Harry's blood is royal is still a matter of some debate. James Hewett?

Old 03-08-2021, 09:05 PM

2,068 posts, read 4,340,720 times
We all know Diana's relationship with the family and press was not great, but I was thinking, when I was a kid the whole Diana, William and Camila thing started to play out and even I remember (I'm around Harry's age so just imagine my disinterest in such matters at the time but somehow it being big enough for me to remember all these years later) the vitriol, the hatred, the name calling, etc that Camila also received because she was the "home wrecker".... these ladies in the past have withstood more and complained less.

For the "oh so appalling" baby inquiry, I am of mixed race and I have family members with mixed race kids and interracial relationship... how the baby is going to turn out, in regards to skin color, is sometimes questioned. It just is. You educate, you ignore, you forgive ignorance, you move on... you don't make it a huge deal. I'm sure Meghan's own father was questioned by his friends/family when he knocked up Meghan's mom. We can't speak on the intent of the person who inquired but... I don't see it as totally out of line.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Whether or not Harry's blood is royal is still a matter of some debate. James Hewett?

James Hewett or Joe Biden won't matter. Harry has the royal stamp of approval and is sixth in line of succession to the British throne.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:08 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
James Hewett or Joe Biden won't matter. Harry has the royal stamp of approval and is sixth in line of succession to the British throne.
Let's hope it never comes to that!

Old 03-08-2021, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recuerdeme View Post
We all know Diana's relationship with the family and press was not great, but I was thinking, when I was a kid the whole Diana, William and Camila thing started to play out and even I remember (I'm around Harry's age so just imagine my disinterest in such matters at the time but somehow it being big enough for me to remember all these years later) the vitriol, the hatred, the name calling, etc that Camila also received because she was the "home wrecker".... these ladies in the past have withstood more and complained less.

For the "oh so appalling" baby inquiry, I am of mixed race and I have family members with mixed race kids and interracial relationship... how the baby is going to turn out, in regards to skin color, is sometimes questioned. It just is. You educate, you ignore, you forgive ignorance, you move on... you don't make it a huge deal. I'm sure Meghan's own father was questioned by his friends/family when he knocked up Meghan's mom. We can't speak on the intent of the person who inquired but... I don't see it as totally out of line.

Let this be an object lesson to sons of good families. Fool around all you want but not all women are fit for marriage.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:16 PM

9,481 posts, read 5,255,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
There were just too many things that didn't ring true for me and some that can actually be checked. According to what I've read, Archie wasn't entitled to be a Prince. King George V decreed that the children of the Sovereign (Queen or King) would get the Prince/Princess title (Charles, Anne, Andrew & Edward), as well as their children (William, Harry, Beatrice, etc.) but only the eldest son's children would get the Prince/Princess title - see * below. So until the Queen is no longer the Queen, Archie isn't entitled to this title/security. Even if Meghan didn't understand this, surely Harry did - or should have! Archie is not being denied a title and accompanying security due to concerns about how dark Archie's skin might be. Perhaps they thought or expected the Royals to change the rules for them.

*The Letters Patent read: '...the grandchildren of the sons of any such sovereign in the direct male line (save only the eldest living son of the eldest son of the Prince of Wales) shall have and enjoy in all occasions the style and title enjoyed by the children of dukes of these our realms.'

When asked by Oprah how it was different for them than the other royals, one of the things they cited was social media. So do they feel none of the others deal with social media? It's just so obvious that they're entirely self-absorbed, intent on airing any perceived wrongs and playing the victim. I'm sure it IS very difficult being in the Royal Family, but as Harry said himself, he didn't feel trapped until he married Harry - and they both claimed she knew what she was getting into when they got married so quickly.

I thought it said a lot that they wanted to pull back from being Senior Royals but apparently felt they could continue to receive all the benefits - housing, money, security - privilege. They wanted their child to have the title and security, but they themselves didn't want to continue to fulfill their responsibilities and obligations. Even when told they couldn't be half in and half out, they still felt they were going to retain money and security - Harry was shocked that he'd lose his security. He gave no thought to the expense to the family and country. I felt they came off like really entitled, spoiled people who feel wronged because they didn't get everything they wanted - so they were going to make revelations that they felt would make them sympathetic victims. I think it may work with some people, but not too many.
Good analysis, especially about the George V rule. Megan and Harry's kids were never going to get the title of prince or princess and it had nothing to do with race. I also found her claims of not knowing anything about royal life and not getting any support or 'tutoring' disingenous, because i couldn've sworn I read that Kate was helping her in the beginning with royal protocols.
Also, Oprah said at the beginning that they were not being paid...so where is the 7 million coming from.
Finally, a funny part, when Oprah asked Megan, "Haven't you watched The Crown?" LOL. Most of us know that that life is so strictly scripted and directed by others as to be unbearably oppressive. While I can't blame them for leaving, to air their dirty laundy in public doesn't feel right....and it's sad, too.

Old 03-08-2021, 09:49 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,768,301 times
How so many are saying racism didn’t play a factor is astonishing. Harry even came to her defense because he saw it first hand.

I feel for them and what they went through.

Old 03-08-2021, 10:16 PM

11,652 posts, read 12,729,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I did,
I enjoyed it,
It was eye opening, and I like her.
I also like that she did not bad mouth anyone, and neither did the Prince, certain things Oprah fished for and directly answered he said he didn't feel comfortable answering, and I like that about the both of them.

(I think I posted in the wrong forum, and then found this....)

Maybe I am really gullible, but I found them to be true.
I can't imagine having your license, passport and keys not within your reach, but I know zero of any of their way of life. I watched Oprah mostly out of curiosity.

While, I did enjoy listening to it and commenting on this thread, that's about as far as my interest will most likely go.

When I worked with celebrities, I had their passports for safe keeping But I don't know what keys they would need? House keys to the palace, car keys?

Old 03-08-2021, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
How so many are saying racism didn’t play a factor is astonishing. Harry even came to her defense because he saw it first hand.

I feel for them and what they went through.

Saw what first hand? That Meghan is not white and of royal blood? Meghan knew that herself and went into it with both eyes open. British royalty is at the pinnacle of white supremacy and white privilege. And that's the British way. Racism is in the eyes of the beholder. If the British royal family was racist, Harry would have been banished if he insisted on marrying Meghan. They accepted her as Harry's wife. Nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.