Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:42 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,045,575 times

Advertisements

I watched a little of the show about married people who, for money, get embarassed on national televison about their spouse's immoral behavior. It seems as though the intended appeal of the show is the look of crushing anguish/disappointment/disgust/astonishment in the face of the contestant learning about their spouse's indiscretions.

And some people say we're a classless, callous, hateful nation...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 05:58 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
Quality television IMO.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
One of the 'contestants', some time after the show complained that they did not even get a 'gig' from it.
I have a suspicion that the victim, at times, may be an actor.
I would prefer thinking that, and enjoying it for its entertainment value than thinking that so many people have such questionable values.
Even 'reality' shows have writers. They must be employed for some reason.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:10 PM

128 posts, read 308,111 times
I will be honest here, if I had a shot at that amount of money, and all I had to do was answer some questions that make me squirm, I would be all over it. Somehow, I don't think it is as bad as the producers want people to think it is. It's all in the long pauses and waiting for people to answer while their family looks on in suspicion and anticipation. It's very rehearsed, I believe.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:21 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,471,880 times
Are you talking about The Moment of Truth? That show is about people making money by telling the truth. It is not about people crushing their spouses, although that happens at time. Anyone can be on it, married or not, male or female.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:56 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,708,537 times
It was actually first developed in one of the Latin American countries, but cancelled when a woman admitted to trying to kill her spouse on tv.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:43 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,964,709 times
I think they have to rig these 'reality' shows in some way to get ratings. As long as it is entertaining, I don't care too much. Maybe they get a lot of 'starlettes' who apply, and the show tries to pick pretty girls. I like it when the host, Mark, makes little comments during the show. He adds an interesting dimension to a show that could be kind of flat.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:06 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Are you talking about The Moment of Truth? That show is about people making money by telling the truth. It is not about people crushing their spouses, although that happens at time. Anyone can be on it, married or not, male or female.
Yep, that's the one. It's absolute trash, and yet another sign Western Civilization is headed for a crash.

Old 03-30-2008, 06:45 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i liked the show, but i think it will go off the air because it seems to be ruining people's lives!
there was one wman, i think last week--blonde, who basically offended everyone, but was sure she would win the 500K. maybe she thought she would win and wouldnt have to worry about offending anyone, since she would be ok if they all disowned her. instead she won 0, was shocked and basically had to walk off the stage with her "family" with her tail betweeen her legs--awkward!

Old 04-02-2008, 05:42 PM

I just watched an episode of this show:

hulu: Episode 5: The Moment Of Truth (http://www.hulu.com/watch/10410/the-moment-of-truth-episode-5 - broken link)

There's no way anybody could have intentionally designed better questions to destroy the contestant's marriage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV