Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,586,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
That's your opinion.

But what I saw was Kate smacking her kid in front of 50 photographers because she was angry enough to forgot all about the cameras... that is clear. What mother wants anyone to witness that? It was Kate losing control.

The kids "seem" pretty happy in front of the TLC crew filming and editing them. Funny how TLC has never shown Kate hitting the kids... you don't think this is the first time, do you? And if you think that physical punishment won't effect a child in a negative way - you're naive? Especially when the entire world is watching.

That's my opinion!

As far as the white trash statement - I stand by that too - but, you're right, I did neglect to add "trailer" to that broad generalization mix.

-ex fan of J&K+8
You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

LOL--I am no 'Dr. Phil' but those kids are well-loved.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM

1,015 posts, read 2,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by senalj View Post
You have made so many generalizations in your comment it's unreal. Let me see if I can tackle a couple that jumped out at me.

1. Can you post a link to support your claim "studies show that prisons are full of people that were hit as children, and they in turn use violence as a way to express their anger"? Too many times people say this, but have no facts to back it up. I was spanked as a child and I can tell you what I learned: If I didn't respect or obey my parents, I would get a swat on the behind. I learned to respect authority and I also learned I have to abide by the rules set forth by society. These kids coming up today have no respect for authority, don't respect or obey their parents and expect everyone to bow to their every wish, whim and will. I think they're going to be worse criminals than those in the past, because they don't respect ANYONE. So if I'm thinking about this site in 20 years, I'd love to come back and comment on the "new breed" of criminals created by the parents who don't want to discipline their kids because they bought into all that "your kids have feelings you must consider, so ask them to do things for you and reason with them whenever possible" mumbo-jumbo. Look at how lazy these kids are. They don't want to go to school and they don't want to work. So who, pray-tell, is teaching them how to survive in society if their parents aren't? I believe there is a time and a place for all forms of discipline. I have spanked, spoken to, grounded and used time out (when DD was little). All have their place, but to be totally against spanking because you believe it will create a monster, what about those of us who were spanked and aren't monsters?

2. Your statement "she's just a white trash bad mother who is too stupid to know any better" is unwarranted, uncalled-for and unnecessary. What does her race have to do with how she disciplines her kids? Why are you calling her trash and stupid? You should really think before you write, because you insulted a whole race of people for no reason other than you disagreed with one person's disciplining methods with her kids. It's really none of our business what she does with her kids, unless she abuses them, then the appropriate authorities will be called.
1. Here ya go - let me know if you need more examples.

Discipline Guide for Children

The Center for Effective Discipline

Spanking, Ages 3 to 6 | AHealthyMe.com (http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/spanking3to6 - broken link)

Child Victimizers (http://crimemagazine.com/molesters.htm - broken link)

Chapter 9 Prisoners :: Manson's Right-Hand Man Speaks Out!

Child Abuse - Types, Signs, Treatment & Prevention on eMedicineHealth.com

Ten Reasons Not to Hit Your Kids - The Natural Child Project

2. Yes, I believe Kate is stupid for spanking her children, and in front of the paparazzi no less, for using her children to make money, for emasculating her husband on national TV, for over-reacting to many situations which in turn frighten her children, for griping about being tabloid fodder when all she has to do is stop filming this stupid show. Any idiot can have children.

Last edited by Amy S in PBC; 06-17-2009 at 08:01 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM

149 posts, read 617,505 times
Oh goodness... Where to start... So any dolt with a Ph.D can offer parenting advice and it's suddenly gospel? I wish, I WISH one of these people would come to me and tell me that I'm not raising my children right because I have the unmitigated gall to spank them. People today are too soft.

I will take your multiple links and trump them with this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn18H3FKDV4

Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,474,821 times
Of the articles you posted, only one deals with a prisoner who was spanked and he was from the Manson clan!

And for every article you post against spanking, I can post as many for.

Did Corporal Punishment Save A Struggling School? | Newsweek Education | Newsweek.com

Spanking As A Discipline For Children

How to Include Spanking in Child Discipline | eHow.com

Spanking…An Acceptable Form of Discipline? from the Christian Parenting Corner

Corporal punishment of children (Spanking); all points of view

We are beginning to see these kids who haven't been properly disciplined flex their criminal arms:

USATODAY.com - Police tie jump in crime to juveniles

Singapore has low crime rates because they perform public caning. The American who was caned in the 1990s didn't get into anymore trouble after that. I'm sure the caning was a huge factor in that.

MICHAEL FAY SINGAPORE CANING 1994 - CORPUN ARCHIVE awfay9405

Crime & Punishment in Singapore | PRM 2003

I think there is a difference between beating the snot out of your kids for no reason and spanking. I have never spanked in anger and I always explain why I'm spanking. I think to disregard spanking is totally wrong. Like I said above, we are seeing an increase in crime from juveniles and I think it's because we've reached the first wave of kids who weren't spanked as youngsters and never learned to respect or obey authority.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I still think those who are against will be for by the time this group of hellions are finished with our country.

And if Kate's house is on 25 acres of land (or something of that calibre), how did a paparazzo get close enough to take the pictures in question?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,224,531 times
I think the media should back off on this one. Of course Kate did bring it on herself by selling her life and that of her kids for $$$$$$ and the limelight.
My opinion is--so she swatted the kids bottom. Doubt it hurt more than the kids feelings.

For all the post about Maddy being a brat,etc I haven't seen any post,that I can recall, about Cara looking so sad. She's the one I'm concerned about. The poor girl looks depressed all the time. Worries me.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:18 PM

16,184 posts, read 32,673,676 times
Please keep this on the show and not spanking as a general topic. Thanks!

Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,586,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
I think the media should back off on this one. Of course Kate did bring it on herself by selling her life and that of her kids for $$$$$$ and the limelight.
My opinion is--so she swatted the kids bottom. Doubt it hurt more than the kids feelings.

For all the post about Maddy being a brat,etc I haven't seen any post,that I can recall, about Cara looking so sad. She's the one I'm concerned about. The poor girl looks depressed all the time. Worries me.
I noticed she seemed 'very serious' during the ski trip episode. She missed her Mom and the kids they said.

I hope they are having a good summer--I think they have a swimming pool and that is such a good way for kids to unwind.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:21 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,342,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post

Cara has looked sad lately. How could she not, I guess. Interesting the 2 very different personalities of the twins. Cara gets sad. Maddy gets angry. I didn't watch the scooter episode. First one I've ever missed.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,352,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy S in PBC View Post
I don't condone hitting another human, especially a child, as a form of discipline... ever. Whether it's a light tap, or a whack. Kate was hitting Leah in anger - and what do you think that teaches a child? Well, studies show that prisons are full of people that were hit as children, and they in turn use violence as a way to express their anger. That's all they know!

This is why her children are seen hitting each other quite often. Kate (and most likely Jon) set the example and paved the way for eight more violent parents!

With that said, I don't believe Kate is criminal or should be investigated - she's just a white trash bad mother who is too stupid to know any better.
"and most likely Jon"? There has been dozens of scenes with Kate smacking Jon. They even did a montage of them.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM

1,094 posts, read 2,474,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Please keep this on the show and not spanking as a general topic. Thanks!
I'll be good, promise!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.