Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 08:44 AM

22,961 posts, read 28,406,916 times

Advertisements

Never watched Season 2, because I thought Season 1 was way over-rated. Brilliant first episode followed by a pretty standard police procedural that was all style, no substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 11:26 AM

5,350 posts, read 8,581,621 times
What I liked most about season one was Matthew McConaughey's acting. I also liked the combination of him and Woody Harrelson.

The thing is, I don't even like MM. When the series started and I discovered he was in it, I was ready to throw in the towel. I ended up becoming genuinely impressed with his acting abilities.

I'm having a similar response to the character of Danny in Bloodline (and the actor who is playing him).

In both cases, there is a complexity to the character that requires a very subtle approach to convey.

Old 01-08-2016, 12:17 PM

9,830 posts, read 11,611,995 times
I like season two!
Was it as good as season one:
No!
But the "shoot out" episode along with the last 2 episodes was pretty.
Sometimes there are no Happy endings in life

Old 01-10-2016, 01:35 PM

7,402 posts, read 12,738,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
What I liked most about season one was Matthew McConaughey's acting. I also liked the combination of him and Woody Harrelson.

The thing is, I don't even like MM. When the series started and I discovered he was in it, I was ready to throw in the towel. I ended up becoming genuinely impressed with his acting abilities.

I'm having a similar response to the character of Danny in Bloodline (and the actor who is playing him).

In both cases, there is a complexity to the character that requires a very subtle approach to convey.
Me, too! MM was a nonentity as far as I was concerned. At best a lightweight irritant. Now I'll even sit still for his Lincoln commercials! He has turned out to be a true talent. During Season 1 I also watched Mud on pay-per-view, and that made a convert out of me.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:51 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,646,508 times
I will tune in and give it a chance. Season 2 sucked but that doesn't mean season 3 will.

Old 01-11-2016, 08:21 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,267,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
I will tune in and give it a chance. Season 2 sucked but that doesn't mean season 3 will.
Here's why S3 will suck...

Season One was ok. But the powerhouse combo of WH and MM made it seem better than it was. The story was actually waaay left field, and ended up rather weak, if you look at it with a detached POV. But we (and I include myself) were so mesmerized by the cast that we were willing to overlook the flaws.

Now we get to Season Two. Story is even weaker than S1, and the cast can't pull a miracle. Still a good cast (although I think Vince Vaughn was terribly miscast), but the story just drowned them. By the end, we were just counting episodes until it was over.

To put salt on our wounds (eyes?), the writer/creator/showrunner doesn't understand why the show is getting so much grief, and thinks people are being hard on it.

Get the trend here?

Season Three will be a big sack of suck. You have an egotistical showrunner, with a history of weak plots, and a grandiose view of his work. Actors who originally begged to be a part, based on S1, are now running the other way.

You couldn't pay me to watch S3.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:12 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,256,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Season 2 sucked donkey balls. Didn't get past 2 episodes. No where near as good as season 1.
Ditto

Old 01-12-2016, 03:14 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,256,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Here's why S3 will suck...

Season One was ok. But the powerhouse combo of WH and MM made it seem better than it was. The story was actually waaay left field, and ended up rather weak, if you look at it with a detached POV. But we (and I include myself) were so mesmerized by the cast that we were willing to overlook the flaws.
I agree with the assessment that S1 started out amazing and went downhill, ended weak. It started out so good though that carried it, along with the acting. The writing for the characters stayed good, the plot sort of sucked.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:27 PM

37,313 posts, read 60,066,449 times
Old thread but the conflict between show's writer originator and the director of S1 Cary F put paid to using only 1 director...big mistake because that was what cause S1 to be so strong...even great acting can be trampled by poor direction...
S2 had some decent acting --Colin F was very good as was Rachel MacAdams--but scripts were weaker(which is why storyline/plot suffered) and using too many directors just weakened an already vulnerable presence...
I also think the fact that the creator was trying to finish his first feature film was huge distractor--
You can't serve two masters...

Old 08-15-2016, 01:29 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,135,375 times
Season 1 was life-changing good. Season 2 wasn't all that great, but I really enjoyed Colin's performance. He did what he could with his role.

The worst thing they could do with this show is tone down the darkness. that's what True Detective is. Dark. Please HBO, leave it that way. If I want to watch a rated PG-13 detective show, I'll watch one of the network television cop
dramas.

GIVE. ME. DARK.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV