Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 09:58 AM

22,943 posts, read 28,335,617 times

Advertisements

I'm actually enjoying this show more than I thought I would. I'm not hooked by any means (some of the dialogue is REALLY bad), but I'll sit and watch when my girls have it on.

It's still a tad too 90210 for me, but Martian Manhunter is cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,613,890 times
I didn't like Astra early on but she has grown on me. I hope they bring her back.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:24 PM

735 posts, read 1,173,397 times
Good episode last night. Kara's friends tried to pick up the slack while she was incapacitated. Something similar happened on the Arrow last season.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:53 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,177,657 times
They hit a new low with last night's scene of Big Sister making a long winded emotional appeal to the.....hologram of Kara's mom, to please provide her with information about the Black Mercy.

The hologram wasn't a person, it is merely a recording, it has no emotions to which to appeal. Unsurprisingly, after the heart felt speech, the machine simply repeated that it had no information on that.

This was completely wasted air time, a scene that you knew in advance could go nowhere. In addition it made Alex look like fool for attempting to appeal to a machine.

The writer's on this show apparently will throw anything out there with no advance thought as to whether it makes even a little sense.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:51 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,554,562 times
As a kid who grew up on DC Comics I remember when, in 1985, both Supergirl and the Flash were killed off in a huge storyarc, 'Crisis on Infinite Earths' (not sure how many comic readers are here, so I'll keep it simple). Both Kara and Barry died heroic, epic deaths, and it even made the national news, as DC was in the midst of revamping their entire line of books and updating things for the 'modern' reader. Many a fan shed tears for Supergirl and her legendary sacrifice to save her cousin, and DC mandated that at one point she be written entirely out of continuity, a redundancy, since now Superman was the only living being to survive Krypton's destruction. This stood for a number of years.

It's funny now to see both characters enjoying primetime TV success, with young fans discovering and falling in love with these characters as if they were new. And while both deaths were just too huge and dramatic (Flash's death was 'the stuff of legend', as they say), their success in the 21st century is a testament to the magic and magnetism, for lack of a better word, of pop culture characters who were created in an age where not even their creators would imagine how long their art would endure.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 PM

4,717 posts, read 5,974,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
They hit a new low with last night's scene of Big Sister making a long winded emotional appeal to the.....hologram of Kara's mom, to please provide her with information about the Black Mercy.

The hologram wasn't a person, it is merely a recording, it has no emotions to which to appeal. Unsurprisingly, after the heart felt speech, the machine simply repeated that it had no information on that.

This was completely wasted air time, a scene that you knew in advance could go nowhere. In addition it made Alex look like fool for attempting to appeal to a machine.

The writer's on this show apparently will throw anything out there with no advance thought as to whether it makes even a little sense.
I saw it as a desperate act by the sister, trying to trigger some part of the program that would respond to her pleading. Maybe she thought that since Krypton was more advanced with their tech, their AI would be more responsive/interactive than what she had at the DEO?

Old 02-10-2016, 01:00 PM

735 posts, read 1,173,397 times
FYI: Supergirl had a brief (fly by) cameo on the Flash last night. So yes there is going to be a cross over!

Old 02-10-2016, 01:16 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,177,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I saw it as a desperate act by the sister, trying to trigger some part of the program that would respond to her pleading. Maybe she thought that since Krypton was more advanced with their tech, their AI would be more responsive/interactive than what she had at the DEO?
This seems like reaching to try and excuse what was at bottom, bad writing. The audience should not be required to employ imaginative scenarios in order to make the show's internal logic work.

And even if all that you state was true, it was still bad television, it was a scene that we all knew in advance had nowhere to go. Alex was not going to get the answer that she wanted and the emotional appeal was a waste of her time, and the viewers time. We know this because the scene took place early in the show and had Alex gotten a satisfactory response, it would have solved the main plot problem while the show still had 75 % of the program to go.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:35 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,554,562 times
Also, to add to my above post regarding the characters' histories in the comics:

A big part of The Flash tv show involves the Crisis, the huge event in the mid-80's (the first comic book crossover event) wherein DC revitalized their line and did away with many old and at-the-time-stagnant characters like Supergirl and The Flash. As the above poster mentioned the two series will be crossing over. Both characters had shining, defining moments during the Crisis, and it'll be interesting to see if there will be any nods to that history (aside from the stuff already hinted at in the Flash during the first season).

Old 02-15-2016, 04:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,952,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venture2000 View Post
FYI: Supergirl had a brief (fly by) cameo on the Flash last night. So yes there is going to be a cross over!
The crossover was confirmed a little bit before that, but yes there will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV