Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 04:07 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,618,430 times

Advertisements

Now that both shows are over, I have the opinion that American Idol was better than The Voice.

Last year I think, A.I. took a hit with Mariah and especially Niki Menage. Their cat fights with each other got old real quick.

This year however I think they redeemed themselves with the return of Jennifer Lopez and bringing on Harry Connick Jr to join Keith Urban. They however weren't too critical of the performances like in the day of Simon Cowell, but they were way more critical then the judges on The Voice.

With The Voice judges having something to win as well, creates an environment where they can't be too critical of their own singers or even for the other singers for that matter. Seems when a performance wasn't that great they fabricate something positive to say.

As for the contestants, I think the history of the previous contestant on American Idol speaks for itself. I have yet to hear a Voice contestant on the radio. Perhaps it is because of the kind of music stations I listen to, who knows?

If I were to guess on who will have a better career, Caleb or Josh? My guess would be Caleb Johnson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 04:17 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,322,948 times
I didn't really watch either too much and had no favorites but I would pop in and out as it interested me.

At first I thought The Voice was better overall music quality wise. And so many of the American Idols contestants were marginal IMO. But toward the end of the season, it seemed like The Voice reached a level and stayed there but American Idol, once it sorted out the lesser performers, just got better and better.

Kind of like The Voice peaked too soon and American Idol crossed the finish line strong at the end.

Just me, but I will give them both a chance next year and see what i think about them.

I was about to give up on ALL these performance shows including DWTS. Didn't watch one episode this year.

Old 05-24-2014, 09:16 PM

693 posts, read 1,041,731 times
I usually watch AI every year but this was the worst season ever. I stopped watching mid-season

Old 05-25-2014, 12:18 AM

20,295 posts, read 37,216,793 times
I watched both, and found The Voice's judges or whatever they are called, more entertaining, specially Shakira and Blake. Shakira, unlike the lady in AI, does not have to strip half naked to sing, and looks quite elegant all the time. They (Vice) also had a lot of good singers. But I found Caleb in American Idol to be the most interesting of all relating to stage presence (he commands the stage), and the strength of his voice. I am not really into hard rock, but that kid reminds me of the most powerful voices in rock from the past. The rest? Yes, lots of pretty voices in both shows, but not the same raw strength shown by Caleb.

Last edited by RayinAK; 05-25-2014 at 12:27 AM..

Old 05-25-2014, 06:47 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,063,177 times
It's a tie: they both lose.

Old 05-26-2014, 10:15 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
I love American Idol, and I loved this year's judges.
I find The Voice boring, and although there is nothing wrong with the hosts, the banter seems forced and sometimes uncomfortable.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:45 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,238,791 times
Neither, they both are lousy shows.

Old 05-27-2014, 03:26 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,715,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Now that both shows are over, I have the opinion that American Idol was better than The Voice.
Year to year things vary between the two shows, but generally, what I've found is that The Voice starts out with better performances in the auditions, and therefore I find it more enjoyable during that portion of the season. In the middle of the season, American Idol's Hollywood Week and assorted other measures to winnow down to the finalists is far superior than The Voice's inane insistence on making soloists sing duets with their competitors, as part of the competition.

Finally, with regard to the end of the season, American Idol's contestants get so much better from auditions to the finale. As a result, I overwhelmingly prefer AI during the last eight or nine weeks of the season, since AI's contestants' performances are generally substantially better than that of The Voice's contestants, who seem to do relatively little growth as artists from auditions to the finale. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that this is due to a substantive difference between the two shows in terms of how much real time elapses from auditions to the finale, as well as in terms of how much time the contestants receive substantive, valuable coaching from auditions to the finale.

This year, I think, was a good year for The Voice, in that regard. There were a couple of contestants that auditioned with performances that could win the competition, so artistic growth wasn't a factor for them, and at least a couple of contestants who somehow did manage to grow as artists substantially from auditions to finale. That kept The Voice from becoming increasingly less interesting as the season wore on, as has been the case for the last several years.

American Idol had a decent year as well. The judges are finally no longer detracting from the show.

The format of American Idol, still, I feel is superior, and even if The Voice this year was significantly better than itself last year, AI was still more interesting to watch toward the end of the season.

Quote:
Last year I think, A.I. took a hit with Mariah and especially Niki Menage. Their cat fights with each other got old real quick.
My comments, above, are colored by how we watch both programs. We watch the programs for the music and the musicians. While we'll occasionally check out what one of the judges have to say about a performance, we generally skip what we consider filler, including anything having to do with the judges after they've made their final decisions. It isn't uncommon for us to watch a two hour performance show of American Idol in 50 minutes.

Quote:
As for the contestants, I think the history of the previous contestant on American Idol speaks for itself. I have yet to hear a Voice contestant on the radio. Perhaps it is because of the kind of music stations I listen to, who knows?
This is a real problem for both shows, though. The Voice does a better job showcasing musicians that sing the kind of music that people listen to. Your observation about the success of the winners is perhaps a reflection of the fact that The Voice generally showcases folks who have already been discarded by the industry, while AI generally showcases folks who have yet to be considered by the industry.

Quote:
If I were to guess on who will have a better career, Caleb or Josh? My guess would be Caleb Johnson.
I'm not sure. I don't know soul music very well, but he could do quite well in that genre. It is, however, a genre that doesn't typically dominate the top of the pop charts, while rock music sometimes does. So it may not even be a valid comparison.

What will be a telling comparison is how well the second place contestants do. While Caleb and Josh aren't a fair comparison, due to the difference in genre, Christina Grimme is a fair comparison to Jena Irene. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I watched both, and found The Voice's judges or whatever they are called, more entertaining, specially Shakira and Blake. Shakira, unlike the lady in AI, does not have to strip half naked to sing, and looks quite elegant all the time.
Jennifer Lopez strips half naked to dance, not sing.

Don't get me wrong, I like Shakira. But I think you're making an inconsequential comparison. This past season the coaching panels were pretty much comparable in every way.

Including elegance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
They (Vice) also had a lot of good singers. But I found Caleb in American Idol to be the most interesting of all relating to stage presence (he commands the stage), and the strength of his voice. I am not really into hard rock, but that kid reminds me of the most powerful voices in rock from the past. The rest? Yes, lots of pretty voices in both shows, but not the same raw strength shown by Caleb.
Power gets old, quick. Caleb was good, and he'll probably have a decent career, but what I prefer to see is the discovery of talent that is simultaneously superior, popular, and unique. That's why I mentioned the two second place contestants this year. They both had unique voices - especially Jena Irene - a voice which I'd recognize even if I heard it as background music in some television program. Caleb is a great cover artist, but he sounds like dozens of other hard rock/heavy metal singers. I'll be far more gratified to see Jena Irene have a great career.

Last edited by bUU; 05-27-2014 at 03:37 AM..

Old 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM

6,870 posts, read 14,867,034 times
Both shows had good first seasons. After that the novelty wore off. That's really how most reality shows are. Good first seasons and then they get tiresome due to oversaturation.

Old 05-27-2014, 06:49 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,063,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
Both shows had good first seasons. After that the novelty wore off. That's really how most reality shows are. Good first seasons and then they get tiresome due to oversaturation.
I agree. Aside from the irritating screaming from the audience, the judges are most impressed by singers who scream the song and bend over as though they're having a colitis attack.

If that's the criteria for a good singer, how in the world did singers like Barbra Streisand, Johnny Mathis or even Nat King Cole become successful?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > TV